[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1566 posts
469 upvotes
GTA

robotic pool cleaner

I'm looking to get a robotic pool cleaner and there are a lot in the market,
I bought iRobot Mirra 530, which is piece of crap!

any idea which one is the best?
19 replies
Feb 25, 2015
444 posts
186 upvotes
ON
I don't know what's best but I've been happy with my Hayward shark.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6948 posts
3098 upvotes
Kootenays
Invalid12 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 10:08 pm
Yes. I haven't hand vacuumed in years. Lol. Mine is roughly 5 years old and sits outside during pool season. Easy peasy to rinse out after use.

The only negative is it gets stuck on the main drain cover in the deep end.
Yeah, that and it's $1,200.
Jul 26, 2008
261 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal
amiratish wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 1:59 pm
I'm looking to get a robotic pool cleaner and there are a lot in the market,
I bought iRobot Mirra 530, which is piece of crap!

any idea which one is the best?
I had a Zodiac POLARIS, basic unit, it worked for about 5 years. it looked like this : https://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/polar ... eaner.html

While it worked I was happy with it, pro's it had a mesh basket that was easy to clean. Con the floating power cord was always in a tangle.

After it died I took it apart and realized it was made to self destruct, the inside of the robot was covered in brush dust, I left it in the water for long periods, The little water that got in combined with the dust the make a past that corroded the tiny circuit board that was controlling the motors. It was impossible to get a replacement circuit board, Pool store simple replaced the entier robot. Had I know I would have been more carefully and opened it every year to re-grease the seals and protect the circuit board.

My current robot is a Maytronics Dolphin, Similar to this model : https://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/dolph ... eaner.html

The same robot is sold under different names and with different trims. just like cars it makes shopping confusing.
After I saw what happened in Polaris I wanted a robot with "brush-less DC energy-efficient, long-life motors".
The basket in the dolphin is a descent size but not a practical as the one in the Polaris. No cord tangles with this one. One feature you don't need, a remote control to manually drive the robot. You just put the thing in the pool and let it do it's thing.

Other problem you can have with robots, if your bottom drain protrudes to much from the bottom of the pool some robots can get stuck.

Most pool places will let you borrow a demo unit. For a long life, don't leave them in the water for days on and don't drop them on the concert deck.

I also never pass the vacuum robot does the job saving time and elbows, the deeper your pool the more you'll appreciate the robot. .
Feb 25, 2015
444 posts
186 upvotes
ON
smacd wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 10:44 pm
I think I paid $900 from a pool store. But yes expensive.

I heard a radio ad recently for a Polaris unit....$1400. are prices creeping up?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3499 posts
882 upvotes
Ottawa
smacd wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 10:44 pm
Compared to the cost of the pool and it's upkeep, $1200 really isn't the much.
Feb 25, 2015
444 posts
186 upvotes
ON
dirtmover wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 11:36 am
Compared to the cost of the pool and it's upkeep, $1200 really isn't the much.
It's alot up front but well worth it imo. Kept my pool clean for years and super handy when friends or family plan to pop over for a swim. Currently lots of bird droppings due to nests near by, time to toss in the shark.
Feb 25, 2015
444 posts
186 upvotes
ON
Op, did you end up buying a new robotic cleaner?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1566 posts
469 upvotes
GTA
Invalid12 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 12:15 pm
Op, did you end up buying a new robotic cleaner?
not yet, still comparing!
Apr 12, 2013
14 posts
9 upvotes
Have a Polaris P935 similar to what NAIMC had. It is a couple of years old and +1 with the tangled cord. I religiously only put it into the water before I clean and take it out when I am done cleaning. I am fairly certain that ANY unit regardless of manufacturer would likely fail with extended water exposure. I suspect the chlorine exposure damages the unit but never done any research on it. I think I got it for around $900 and was toying with the irobot one but the mesh bag system that irobot used was a deal breaker.

I find the polaris is basic and the mesh screen works well and is easy to clean. I don't use it to climb the walls (because the returns typically flip it). Definitely a huge time saver over hand vacuuming it. My philosophy is get as basic of a unit as possible - you don't need something that you can program...as for safety reasons you really shouldn't have a plugged in 120 VAC device even with a GFCI. Have a toddler and not taking that chance :).

You may want to check out https://www.troublefreepool.com as they are hardcore pool people on there and lots of really smart people. Most of the units aren't worth repairing but I can say that everyone seems to carry Hayward so likely could get parts. Of course, a decent unit shouldn't need any parts.

In terms of mainstream suppliers, I have had great experience with Pentair (have one of their great variable speed pumps). https://pentairpool.com/en/products/cleaners

They have cleaners but I don't have any direct knowledge of them. You have to buy through a dealer (which is really a pain IMO) but may be worth a look. I refuse to deal with my local dealer due to multiple on-going issues which really had nothing to do with the product (which was great). For what it is worth, I do consider Pentair to be a step-up over Hayward's QC. I have both but my preference is for Pentair.

Good luck,
May 18, 2018
21 posts
Toronto
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner is the best I know. Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40 is also good.
Apr 14, 2009
166 posts
16 upvotes
Vaughan
https://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/polar ... eaner.html

P955. This will be my 3rd year. No issues at all. The new ones have a tangle free cord, mine did not. I called Zodiac, they sent me the new cable, no questions asked. It is expensive, but you get what you paid for. I tried the Irobot one as well, complete garbage.