• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2017 3:25 pm
Aug 24, 2006
192 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
BeapChastard wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:29 pm
Rockauto is not worth it unless you're buying a ton of parts at once. I need some new brake calipers but when you consider the cost of shipping plus the cost of shipping the cores back to the US it's only marginally cheaper than just buying it from the local auto parts stores so may as well pay slightly more to get it locally and faster and pick it up in person.
That's almost never the case though (from my experience anyway). Shipping is really fast, prices are very low so much that you may not even need to ship it back. Also, you know what brand you're getting. The local part store will get you the same part for a similar price, but from my personal experience, at that price point they've always been "value" (aka. crap) brands, so you're comparing apples to oranges. The faster pickup in person also doesn't apply to stores that are open 9-5 on weekdays only and people that don't have the time or means to go there during that time.
However, everything you said is something anyone who needs to buy parts should carefully consider if they're looking to minimise cost.
Ramblings wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:43 pm
It really depends - I've ordered brakes from them and even without returning cores it was worth it. I've made big and small orders since 2009 and I've saved well over $1000+ as a result. Express shipping is rarely ever worth it - go for ground and it still arrives pretty quickly. Pair that with a border shipping service like CrossBorderPickups and you save even more.

The main problem with them is when the parts you need are in different warehouses so you have to pay extra for shipping....
What he said!
Feb 8, 2015
659 posts
259 upvotes
North York, ON
Thanks OP. Just placed an order. Wiper blades- 6 front and 2 rear cost me $40...because they're specialty push button blades in Canada would've cost me approx $200.00. Charcoal Cabin filters up here cost approx $40 each, bought 3 for $9.00 each. Oil and air filters the same story. To help with shipping I used to get friends together and place a bulk order. Along with the great pricing I absolutely love their selection- economy up to premium. Yrs ago needed a MAF Sensor, Partsource wanted $400 for generic garbage. RA sent me a brand name MAF all in for $125.00. Bought some shock absorbers yrs ago - up here $500 for the set, RA all in charged me $200 + got a $50 rebate. Also helps to have a U.S. account and/ or a U.S. CC.

Edit: 2/3 of order (New York) will be here tomorrow. Other 1/3 is coming from Texas.
Last edited by magoot on Jun 14th, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1341 posts
620 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Deep_Stich wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:00 pm
That's almost never the case though (from my experience anyway). Shipping is really fast, prices are very low so much that you may not even need to ship it back. Also, you know what brand you're getting. The local part store will get you the same part for a similar price, but from my personal experience, at that price point they've always been "value" (aka. crap) brands, so you're comparing apples to oranges. The faster pickup in person also doesn't apply to stores that are open 9-5 on weekdays only and people that don't have the time or means to go there during that time.
However, everything you said is something anyone who needs to buy parts should carefully consider if they're looking to minimise cost.
Well let's look at calipers. A front caliper for my car on Rock Auto is $67 + $48 core. That's $115. Shipping to Canada is $20. That's $135.

The cheapest quote I got for a front caliper from local shops was $130 ($190 - $60 core).

So if I don't return the core to rock auto, it's cheaper to buy locally. If I do return core to rock auto, then it's a bit cheaper but it will depend on the cost to ship the core back to the US. I have no idea how much that would be but I'm guessing at least $20.

Maybe it makes sense to buy from rock auto if you're buying a ton of stuff at once but for a few small items like one or two calipers, you may as well just buy locally.
Jan 23, 2015
501 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
BeapChastard wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 5:17 pm
Well let's look at calipers. A front caliper for my car on Rock Auto is $67 + $48 core. That's $115. Shipping to Canada is $20. That's $135.

The cheapest quote I got for a front caliper from local shops was $130 ($190 - $60 core).

So if I don't return the core to rock auto, it's cheaper to buy locally. If I do return core to rock auto, then it's a bit cheaper but it will depend on the cost to ship the core back to the US. I have no idea how much that would be but I'm guessing at least $20.

Maybe it makes sense to buy from rock auto if you're buying a ton of stuff at once but for a few small items like one or two calipers, you may as well just buy locally.
It all depends on what you are buying. For me, buying maintenance stuff for my cars I usually do bulk orders (ie: oil filters, air filters and so on). Rock Auto pricing is stupid cheap compared to what's sold here. Just an example: A Ford Mustang air filter with my 10% discount is $25. Same thing at RA is $15. OEM oil filters at RA are cheaper then the cheapest filters sold at Crappy Tire. I'm in the middle of restoring my Mustang, an OEM battery cable is $70 at the stealership, same cable $14.50 at RA...
Dec 13, 2005
273 posts
18 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
are there better coupon codes than 5%?
Jan 23, 2015
501 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
krossfyah wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 7:16 pm
No, Rock Auto never offers anything more than 5%. Even during the Black Friday event, it's still 5%.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1341 posts
620 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Bianco13 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 6:21 pm
It all depends on what you are buying. For me, buying maintenance stuff for my cars I usually do bulk orders (ie: oil filters, air filters and so on). Rock Auto pricing is stupid cheap compared to what's sold here. Just an example: A Ford Mustang air filter with my 10% discount is $25. Same thing at RA is $15. OEM oil filters at RA are cheaper then the cheapest filters sold at Crappy Tire. I'm in the middle of restoring my Mustang, an OEM battery cable is $70 at the stealership, same cable $14.50 at RA...
Yeah but doesn't the $20 shipping to Canada kill the deal unless you buy a bazillion filters and airfilters at once?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3053 posts
674 upvotes
Montreal
BeapChastard wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 9:24 pm
Yeah but doesn't the $20 shipping to Canada kill the deal unless you buy a bazillion filters and airfilters at once?
Doesn't need to be a bazillion to save more than the shipping cost. I also don't mind paying a reasonable amount for shipping if it saves me wasting time & money driving around town to pick up parts.
Jan 23, 2015
501 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
BeapChastard wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 9:24 pm
Not at all, when I setup my orders I do my best to get everything I need out of one warehouse. Which usually only costs me about $13-14 for shipping. A couple of small items from RA the savings alone will cover the shipping charges vs buying here, anything extra I add to my order (depending on the size) is gravy.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1901 posts
235 upvotes
Waterlooo
And that is a bit of an art... if you are buying a few things - trying to keep the order to one warehouse may mean choosing different brands then you originally intended. But it does mean you can keep shipping down to $12-15 and even really heavy items are around $20
Feb 8, 2015
659 posts
259 upvotes
North York, ON
krossfyah wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 7:16 pm
5% discount is the most you'll find but if buying "Wholesaler Closeout" they practically give the stuff away. Example, just bought some wipers- reg price is $18, WC is $2.93 CAD. The trick is to know what you're buying and what's best for your car.
Aug 24, 2006
192 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
BeapChastard wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 5:17 pm

I'll reply to this with parts of my previous post:
Deep_Stich wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:00 pm
[...] Also, you know what brand you're getting. The local part store will get you the same part for a similar price, but from my personal experience, at that price point they've always been "value" (aka. crap) brands, so you're comparing apples to oranges. [...]
Though, I don't see the point of having a conversation if you're not gonna pay attention to what the other guy is saying. I understood what you said the first time.

If you're actually looking for the CHEAPEST, this site might be your "best" option, but best of luck to your car... http://www.primechoice.com/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
5695 posts
515 upvotes
Mississauga
Rats I already had an order shipped and didn't know about the code. Do you think they would refund me 5% if I asked?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2818 posts
265 upvotes
rockauto, never lets you down. If you can wait a few days and if you coordinate the shipping properly it can end up being a great deal.

This of course all depends on what you are buying and how urgent you need it. YMMV.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2618 posts
168 upvotes
Brampton
Much easier if we post ongoing codes in this thread.
Next code:
Expires Aug 13 2017