• Jul 17th, 2017 3:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 2, 2014
100 posts
37 upvotes
GVRD

Rocking chair/Glider

Hi RFD. We have a little baby coming soon. My wife is bugging me to get a glider.

Just wondering is anyone knows of any deals or can suggest and specific brands/chairs.

Ideally I'd like to stumble upon a high quality chair that's on sale. Hoping to stay under $350.
7 replies
Mar 24, 2015
519 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I got a Storkcraft glider and ottoman from Walmart about 5 yrs ago, when it was on sale for around $200. It's usually $299. I'm petite so I had a lot of room, but it can be too narrow for some people, especially when breastfeeding, as the armrests are a bit high. I believe there's always one on display, maybe your wife can try it first to see how comfortable she is in it. Babies r us has gliders too.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1673 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
Wayfair.ca had a nice selection and pricing seemed fair.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9090 posts
1042 upvotes
Toronto
Do mothers actually use these? We have 2 young ones and my wife never really used it. It was a group purchased baby shower gift. If I had paid money for it, I would have thought it a waste.
Aug 5, 2008
106 posts
69 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:19 am
Do mothers actually use these? We have 2 young ones and my wife never really used it. It was a group purchased baby shower gift. If I had paid money for it, I would have thought it a waste.
Yes, especially if breastfeeding! Saved my back from a lot of strain.
Aug 7, 2006
131 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
cutey130 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 4:33 pm
Yes, especially if breastfeeding! Saved my back from a lot of strain.
Agreed. My wife uses ours probably 50% of the day right now breastfeeding our little one. She swears by it and good to soothe the baby when they're fussy without much effort. That said, I know others that got one and rarely used it but they also rarely used their nursery.

We got ours from wayfair when they had a big glider sale last fall/winter.
Sep 30, 2008
623 posts
259 upvotes
Pickering
I (the dad) was skeptical on whether we needed/would actually use this type of chair in the nursery. I mean, we didn't have one with our 1st (space limitations of living in a small condo at the time) so would we really make use of it this time. Since space is not a concern, wife insisted we get one and that it would see quite a bit of usage early on.

She was right. That thing sees it''s fair of usage and baby is about 7 months now. Everything from nursing/feeding, comforting/soothing and even just hanging out to read or play, we both use it all the time.

We bought ours (Kidiway brand) for $350 flat at one of the baby shows as the vendor had it as their featured promotion. I believe there are shows coming up soon, may be worth a look.
Jun 27, 2004
845 posts
34 upvotes
Kitchener
I (another dad!) was also a bit skeptical, but ended up actually spending a fair amount of money on a modern looking glider with recline and swivel - and I'm glad we did. Some nights my wife practically lived in that chair (and I had a fair number of naps there as well!), and now, 12 years after our first child was born, we still have and use the chair. Keeping it clean over the years when the kids were smaller and more liable to puke on things has been a challenge, but it's still in great shape - one of the oldest pieces of furniture we now own.

Obviously everyone is different, and I wouldn't suggest breaking the bank - but at the same time, I'm glad we didn't cheap out on something that saw so much use!