Off Topic

Locked: Roger Ailes died

  • Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 9:59 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5177 posts
212 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 24th, 2017 8:35 am
Hear which part? That where he was a mentor to her? Or the collegial friendship they had? Or the part where he was a professional? Or the part where he pioneered the cable news genre? Or where he was a media genius? Or the part where she considered him a friend?


Certainly comments of the other side...especially from the hate on this thread.
Sorry...every positive post I've made in this thread has been deleted by mods so I've resorted to cleverly disguised sarcasm.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
hugh_da_man wrote:
May 25th, 2017 3:47 am
Sorry...every positive post I've made in this thread has been deleted by mods so I've resorted to cleverly disguised sarcasm.
Same here. Seems the Moderators (one in particular) have something against anyone questioning the accusations being thrown about.
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2003
4538 posts
92 upvotes
London
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 25th, 2017 7:15 am
Same here. Seems the Moderators (one in particular) have something against anyone questioning the accusations being thrown about.
I actually posted a neutral Youtube video from Vox explaining the recent history between Fox News and their relationship with the current White House, as context, and it got deleted too.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
felixdd wrote:
May 25th, 2017 8:21 am
I actually posted a neutral Youtube video from Vox explaining the recent history between Fox News and their relationship with the current White House, as context, and it got deleted too.
I even got the admin involved and noticed that he deleted some of the accusatory posts too so, in a small way, fairness in editing returned,
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6704 posts
1334 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 2:20 pm
Nice eulogy kid.
the apple/ aka jabba the hut jr doesn't far from the tree.
cue the crying from you know who...
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3704 posts
513 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 2:18 pm
the apple/ aka jabba the hut jr doesn't far from the tree.
cue the crying from you know who...
He should get props for honouring his dad's legacy by threatening non-compliant women. But the bit about his dad being in hell wasn't very nice.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
ShoNuff2 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 2:18 pm
the apple/ aka jabba the hut jr doesn't far from the tree.
cue the crying from you know who...
Ooooo, another attempt at...hmmm, what is it that you are trying to say?? Nothing you say? That is correct Smiling Face With Open Mouth
JustBob and you, his trusty sidekick, you, are once again, off topic with no value added to the thread...just a before :)
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15266 posts
381 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 25th, 2017 8:57 am
I even got the admin involved and noticed that he deleted some of the accusatory posts too so, in a small way, fairness in editing returned,
The real question is why you love Roger Ailes so much and repeatedly reported everyone's posts so you could get your own way?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
konfusion666 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 5:18 pm
The real question is why you love Roger Ailes so much and repeatedly reported everyone's posts so you could get your own way?
I don't love Roger AIles at all. Only thing I know is he was a media pioneer.
Thing is, and why I play devils advocate on this, is what I don't like most of all is people assuming allegations and accusations are all fact. I will argue upside and sideways that until something is proven, regardless if it is Roger Ailes or you or even JustBob, you are innocent by our society's standards and I will be on your side.
People who jump on bandwagons are showboating in my mind, they are just followers. They will argue guilt without any evidence or proof, just "feeling". I will be the first to admit my error when whatever is proven but until then,.....not trying to get my own way, just waiting for the facts.
It is like I said to JustBob in one of the deleted posts...he could be accused of beating his Wife and people start repeating it and it is completely untrue but, the damage to him is done.
Unfortunately, this guy is gone so, we will probably never know for certain what went on (as opposed to Bill Cosby).
Oh and, I reported posts because my posts were also being reported. Tit for tat.
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3704 posts
513 upvotes
Now, before jumping to conclusions, did you ever stop and think as to why the statement by Ailes's kid might be problematic? He threatened alleged victims of sexual harassment. Why do you think they are often too scared to come forward? Exactly because of that type of behavior/threats. And in situations where it's "my word against yours", especially when it involves the rich and powerful, it becomes infinitely worse. They have the money and power to hire high profile lawyers (like Dershowitz for example) who will try to destroy these women's reputations and ruin them financially. So, these cases often end up being settled out of court because the women have no other choice.

Fox has decades of documented history of offensive behaviour towards women and spent millions of dollars in settlements ($13 mil to five women who had accused Bill O'Reilly). In Ailes's case, it's not just one woman, it's a boatload of them (20 was the last count). And Fox so far has paid $45 million in settlements related to sexual harassment cases against Ailes. Of course someone like Ailes will go the Trump route and argue that "settlements are not admissions of guilt!". You keep insisting that you want "legal proof" when the odds are always stacked against the women in these cases.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
JustBob wrote:
May 25th, 2017 6:27 pm
Now, before jumping to conclusions, did you ever stop and think as to why the statement by Ailes's kid might be problematic? He threatened alleged victims of sexual harassment. Why do you think they are often too scared to come forward? Exactly because of that type of behavior/threats. And in situations where it's "my word against yours", especially when it involves the rich and powerful, it becomes infinitely worse. They have the money and power to hire high profile lawyers (like Dershowitz for example) who will try to destroy these women's reputations and ruin them financially. So, these cases often end up being settled out of court because the women have no other choice.

Fox has decades of documented history of offensive behaviour towards women and spent millions of dollars in settlements ($13 mil to five women who had accused Bill O'Reilly). In Ailes's case, it's not just one woman, it's a boatload of them (20 was the last count). And Fox so far has paid $45 million in settlements related to sexual harassment cases against Ailes. Of course someone like Ailes will go the Trump route and argue that "settlements are not admissions of guilt!". You keep insisting that you want "legal proof" when the odds are always stacked against the women in these cases.
I agree. A logical and though out response.
Just realize that my premise is not wrong, (morally bad perhaps) but innocent until proven guilty is the American (and Canadian) way. That is all I have ever said.
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3704 posts
513 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 25th, 2017 6:37 pm
I agree. A logical and though out response.
Just realize that my premise is not wrong, (morally bad perhaps) but innocent until proven guilty is the American (and Canadian) way. That is all I have ever said.
Ok fine, but if you don't fully understand why someone posts something, why not just ask instead of defaulting to attacking someone's character as "sad" or something worse. How about: "He's just defending his father, why do you seem to believe his statement is problematic?". Woudn't that help avoid all the nonsense that followed?

If we can agree on that, then we don't need mods. I'll just delete all the off topic stuff I posted and you can just do the same.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
JustBob wrote:
May 25th, 2017 6:50 pm
Ok fine, but if you don't fully understand why someone posts something, why not just ask instead of defaulting to attacking someone's character as "sad" or something worse. How about: "He's just defending his father, why do you seem to believe his statement is problematic?". Woudn't that help avoid all the nonsense that followed?

If we can agree on that, then we don't need mods. I'll just delete all the off topic stuff I posted and you can just do the same.
Whoa there. I fully understand what I read. The thing is, with the written word, very often
I wrote an opinion and got hung out. I defend my myself. You have an opinion and so do I. Opinions are not wrong, everyone has them. Respect mine and I will respond in kind. Come at me and you will get facetime.
Posts are deleted. :)
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3704 posts
513 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 25th, 2017 7:18 pm
Whoa there. I fully understand what I read. The thing is, with the written word, very often
I wrote an opinion and got hung out. I defend my myself. You have an opinion and so do I. Opinions are not wrong, everyone has them. Respect mine and I will respond in kind. Come at me and you will get facetime.
Posts are deleted. :)
It's not about having opinions, it's about expressing those opinions without attacking the poster's character. "Address the issue, not the poster", simple forum rule. That's why your posts got deleted, not because you had opinions.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
26329 posts
3147 upvotes
Ottawa
JustBob wrote:
May 25th, 2017 7:44 pm
It's not about having opinions, it's about expressing those opinions without attacking the poster's character. "Address the issue, not the poster", simple forum rule. That's why your posts got deleted, not because you had opinions.
I addressed the topic. Always Innocent until prove guilty. You did not like that. Now you are playing the oppressed?
So, I deleted my posts...honored your request. Guess yours was an empty promise.
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top