• Feb 1st, 2006 3:54 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts

Roger Federer > Pete Sampras > *

Tournaments involving Federer should be named "The Battle for Second Place"

This man is definately in a class of his own.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
37 replies
Jun 18, 2004
368 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Federer would have to be number one for a few more years coupled with at least getting double digit grand slams before I'd even think about declaring Federer > Sampras.

Of course, if Federer ever wins the French, disregard everything I just said and crown him king already.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
Had a momentary lapse against Tommy Haas... but damn is gameplay is smooth as silk. Gotta love the effortless victories :) So glad Hewitt is gone... sad to see Roddick go though. Nalbanian is scary though... damn can he hit the angles...

Go Hingis! :)
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Banned
Apr 25, 2005
3425 posts
4 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote:Had a momentary lapse against Tommy Haas... but damn is gameplay is smooth as silk. Gotta love the effortless victories :) So glad Hewitt is gone... sad to see Roddick go though. Nalbanian is scary though... damn can he hit the angles...

Go Hingis! :)
He could've blown away Haas to shreds. You see how easily he dismantled the final 8 points? Federer's backhand is definately the best I've ever seen.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
More well-rounded and talented than Pete, that's for sure.

But let's see how long he can go.
I hope he can win another 2 (or 3 this year).
If he can win the French, he'll be the greatest ever just because he does have it all.

Actually, pros all over say Fed's backhand is his weakest shot and the one that can be exploited. You wanna see a great one-hander, go check out that young French dude (Monfils I think). Strongest one-handed backhand I've ever seen.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
Yeah... I think the Nadal hype got to him last year... he played a B game and should have won the French in 2005. I have to give Nabanian the edge in this tourney though... he bested Federer in their last meeting and is playing very strong this tourney. For sure Federer has one of the smoothest ground strokes i've ever seen... Gotta love the inside out back hand... damn that's awesome!

sfu_lifer wrote:More well-rounded and talented than Pete, that's for sure.

If he can win the French, he'll be the greatest ever just because he does have it all.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Banned
Apr 25, 2005
3425 posts
4 upvotes
sfu_lifer wrote:More well-rounded and talented than Pete, that's for sure.

Yeah if can win French he'll be king.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
Pistol Pete is the king of mens' tennis, until Federer wins anywhere near Pete's totals in Grand Slams, then we can think about it.

But Federer is a more complete player. Pete in his heyday was pure power. Huge serve that he could go to anytime he was in trouble on his serve. He had great foot speed too. But the French Open was his weakness. The clay court muted his power on the groundstrokes/serve.

Federer can win the French and his array of weapons/groundstrokes is amazing. Like previous poster said, he does it so effortlessly, it is scary.

If he can win the French, he will be arguably more complete than Pistol Pete.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4249 posts
825 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Not quite yet. But he is definitely on pace to be the greatest, the way the competition has barely been able to budge him. (Which raises the question of whether or not Pete had fiercer competition during his time.)
And yes, if he ends up with "only" 10-12 Grand Slams, with one of them being the French, crown him king.

3:18am (ET), so only 12 minutes til his match with Davydenko. This better be a straight setter.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:Pistol Pete is the king of mens' tennis, until Federer wins anywhere near Pete's totals in Grand Slams, then we can think about it.

But Federer is a more complete player. Pete in his heyday was pure power. Huge serve that he could go to anytime he was in trouble on his serve. He had great foot speed too. But the French Open was his weakness. The clay court muted his power on the groundstrokes/serve.

Federer can win the French and his array of weapons/groundstrokes is amazing. Like previous poster said, he does it so effortlessly, it is scary.

If he can win the French, he will be arguably more complete than Pistol Pete.
If he wins the French, there is no argument. Already he has more clay court wins (and won more Clay tourneys) than Pete ever had. All the legends already say he's more complete than Pete (and even Pete himself acknowledged this in a tennis magazine interview I read). As Agassi said, with Pete, if you can hang in there during the rally, at some point you know you can expect an error or you can take control since Pete gets frustrated if he can't put you away. Federer has the patience to hang in the baseline and carve you until he can cut you down with a well-placed shot/winner.
Pete is better at the net I think and has a way better second serve. Pete's second serve is the best all-time. He can place it anywhere and it's still in the 110-120 mph range.
If FedEx can keep this up for another 3 years and somehow win the French along the way, there are no arguments :) .

I love watching Federer play. He's quite cocky when he's on the court. He'll play your game and beat you which is quite scary if you're the opponent.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2001
1549 posts
59 upvotes
Man, worst CHEATER in the world is Keifer.
What a friggin' cheating Kraut. He threw the racket to distract Grosjean.
So many wrong calls he argued even though he clearly saw.

Man, to cheat just so you can advance. How can you live with yourself?
I'm on the road to 5000...
May 12, 2005
42 posts
The thing I like about Federer is that he's able to turn his game up a notch if he's losing or not playing well. Even when his game hiccups, he's able to change gears and pull out the win. You can almost see him physically change gears. Impressive.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1584 posts
104 upvotes
very few players would give up the point had they been in the same situation as kiefer. with that being said, i hope keifer loses next round, i did not like the stunt that he pulled.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Dec 9, 2001
532 posts
Mississauga
Who do you guys think will win, Nalbandian or wonder boy Baghdatis? I think Nalbandian has the stuff to dispatch Baghdatis...thoughts? I hope he does as well, because all this Baghdatis coverage/hype is getting to me...as it's annoying.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2001
1549 posts
59 upvotes
Venom Soldier wrote:Who do you guys think will win, Nalbandian or wonder boy Baghdatis? I think Nalbandian has the stuff to dispatch Baghdatis...thoughts? I hope he does as well, because all this Baghdatis coverage/hype is getting to me...as it's annoying.
Go Cypriot!
I'm on the road to 5000...
Banned
Sep 14, 2005
37 posts
Roger is cool! I want to be just like him except Canadian.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
Well well, what do you know. Baghdatis is into the finals (and I am wagering he will will play Federer). This guy has come from nowhere, and I really that Nalbandian had him after the first 2 sets. Baghdatis just kept coming and coming.

However if he plays Federer in the finals, it will be a totally different ballgame. The FedEx is a different game altogether.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
porphyra wrote:Well well, what do you know. Baghdatis is into the finals (and I am wagering he will will play Federer). This guy has come from nowhere, and I really that Nalbandian had him after the first 2 sets. Baghdatis just kept coming and coming.
Not technically nowhere. He was a former junior world #1. But he definitely took the Aussie Open by storm. And gotta love the Greek crowd. They are probably the most entertaining bunch other than the Aussies should Hewitt be in still