Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1330 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers 4K Raptors in London

Just wondering if anyone saw the game in 4k on Rogers. Looking for reviews on the picture quality.
13 replies
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
Looking forward to reading what sports is like on 4K broadcasted by Bell and Rogers.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
macaximx wrote: Looking forward to reading what sports is like on 4K broadcasted by Bell and Rogers.
This, especially looking to hearing how compressed the feed is.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Hopefully it's better than the Blues-Penguins game last night on Sportsnet. The first five minutes or so looked like upconverted 480i.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1341 posts
854 upvotes
Waterloo
According to internal Rogers communications, Rogers 4K is true 4K content while Bell's is upscaled. I haven't seen either so I can't comment; take it with a grain of salt for now.
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
PressureBoom wrote: According to internal Rogers communications, Rogers 4K is true 4K content while Bell's is upscaled. I haven't seen either so I can't comment; take it with a grain of salt for now.
Bell makes no mention of HDR. Also strange there was no mention of production trucks etc like Rogers did back in the fall.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1341 posts
854 upvotes
Waterloo
macaximx wrote: Bell makes no mention of HDR. Also strange there was no mention of production trucks etc like Rogers did back in the fall.
Apparently Bell says that no extra hardware/updated box is required for their 4K content. Are their current boxes capable of displaying a true 4K signal?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2012
2631 posts
767 upvotes
TORONTO
PressureBoom wrote: According to internal Rogers communications, Rogers 4K is true 4K content while Bell's is upscaled. I haven't seen either so I can't comment; take it with a grain of salt for now.
Bell had a superior TV quality to Rogers ever since they launched Fibe, so if this is what Rogers claims officially, Bell will slap them with a lawsuit because it is not true.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
No company truly using Fiber Optics is going to name their product "Fibe".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Rogers will be showing the Canadiens-Leafs game on Saturday night in 4K for those subscribers with the appropriate cable box.

OTA on CBC looks great to me!
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
input wrote: I don't understand why they're advertising 4K when most content providers are not even full HD yet (1080p).

http://www.bellmedia.ca/sales/blog/tech ... -the-buzz/
Good blog post. Funny how things change in less than a year since it was written. The gigabit pipeline is here and sets are cheaper. Now content is being produced in Canada.

I will wait till the 2016 HDR sets arrive in the spring and get a new TV and receiver. This also gives me time to read what the production is actually like with respects to HDR. Most of our viewing would fall under sports and movies. So what is happening now is great for our home. Streaming 4K shows, and hopefully movies with the proper audio codecs would be a bonus.

As the blog states the battle of the codecs needs to be settled. DolbyVision, HDR, ATMOS, DTS:X and HEVC are the big ones. 4K UHD is here and won't be going away like 3D. Our economy will help decide how fast this is implemented however I look forward to seeing each spec of rubber in the Blue Jays turf this summer in glorious 4K UHD HDR. ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)