Cell Phones

Rogers [AB] - discontinued cell phone plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 3:50 pm
Dec 27, 2016
2 posts

Rogers [AB] - discontinued cell phone plan?

Hi,

I had a call from Rogers today telling me my plan has been discontinued and I HAVE to change my plan. Anyone else heard of this?

They said my plan is "legacy" (2 GB, unltd national calling/text, basic voicemail for $60/mon) and offered 4 GB for $70 with the Samsung Galaxy S9 for $149 (smart tab).

Are they required to offer a comparable plan? Do I really have to change my plan?

Thanks!
2 replies
Dec 27, 2016
2 posts
I should add that I called them on the weekend to upgrade my hardware and keep my existing plan and the "back office team" replied today saying this.

Made it sound like even if I canceled the device upgrade that I'd have to change my plan. Same for anyone else who has this plan "they're calling everyone with it"
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
Typically if you are getting a phone upgrade, the carrier will force you to an in-market plan...

However, if you stay on the legacy plan with no upgrade - they won't force you to change your plan.

It's how I stayed on the Thunder Bay Virgin Mobile plan for years....just bought my phone outright.

If the carrier already went down the plan to process your phone upgrade..most likely you lost the plan even if you cancel now.

They could try to give you monthly discounts to bring you back down but huge YMMV...

Best to clarify with Rogers where they are exactly....it sounds like you did initiate the hardware upgrade so they were carrying out your instructions..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)