Computers & Electronics

Rogers Automated Call about disabling my Internet due to a virus?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2015 11:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 30, 2006
238 posts
4 upvotes

Rogers Automated Call about disabling my Internet due to a virus?

So I just got a call from what appears to be Rogers. It was an automated call saying that my computer was infected with a virus and that they have temporarily disabled my connection. Well, I'm still here, so I'm not terribly worried, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had the same call.

What makes me kinda suspicious is that it said 'Unknown Name' on my call display (Though the number was 1-888-764-3771 which translates to their normal 1-888-ROGERS1 number), and to add to that, the voice said that I could press '1' to be transferred to customer service to get it resolved. I just think it might be a scam of some sort. Fishy? Paranoid? I dunno, but I wasn't about to press '1'.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6109 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Shaftasaurus wrote:
May 1st, 2008 3:44 pm
So I just got a call from what appears to be Rogers. It was an automated call saying that my computer was infected with a virus and that they have temporarily disabled my connection. Well, I'm still here, so I'm not terribly worried, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had the same call.

What makes me kinda suspicious is that it said 'Unknown Name' on my call display (Though the number was 1-888-764-3771 which translates to their normal 1-888-ROGERS1 number), and to add to that, the voice said that I could press '1' to be transferred to customer service to get it resolved. I just think it might be a scam of some sort. Fishy? Paranoid? I dunno, but I wasn't about to press '1'.

You're not entire alone on this issuse, many Rogers customer have had this happen.

I've received this call before as well when a friend accidentally transmitted a small virus on one of my laptops. Apparently its common for Rogers not to even inform people and suspend their connection if they detect certain viruses, typically network and bot viruses.

Rogers will typically tell you you have a virus which they detected on their servers, you have to take steps to remove the virus or format your drives. Once this is done you call them and they reconnect your access. However, they will note your account and should they ever detect another virus, you will face a 14 days Internet suspension and so on and so forth, I think after 3 times they will cut you off.

Its not a big deal, if you only have only 1 PC connected to the Net in your household. In my case there were about 5 different PCS connected, so I had to check each one.

Best of luck,
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7274 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like BS to me. There's no way for them to determine if your computer has a virus on it.

If your internet still works then I would just ignore the call.

Edit: ah, missed by a post. I guess the phone call is real.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
4181 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
Phone them ... they are usually right (from my experience). They don't make calls for no reason and if the emails keeping going out they will cut you off. It has happened to me a couple time (after I bring infected client computers home).
Silver Bullet IX
Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 4790K | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Z97 Pro Wifi | GigaByte GTX970 G1 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 720 480GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP
[OP]
Sep 30, 2006
238 posts
4 upvotes
Heh, well yeah, the call wasn't BS at all :> It just took about a half hour or so for them to actually suspend my modem after the phone call. I called them up and they were surprisingly quick and helpful (full moon?).

Anyway, thanks for the helpful responses :>
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
appleb wrote:
May 1st, 2008 4:34 pm
Sounds like BS to me. There's no way for them to determine if your computer has a virus on it.
Port scans and packet sniffing.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Dec 31, 1969
I've had this happen to me many times. First incident happend with Bell, then I resolved the problem, happened again and resolved the problem, service was good for a while then they started screwing me. Switched over to Rogers, within a week of having their service they did a suspension on my account. I came home from the part time job one night, did some homwork, checked a few emails on my computer and msn for a few minutes, internet was working fine. Came home from school the next day, internet is down. Called them up and asked them whats going on, they told me I have a virus and its sending out a lot of spam emails something like 2000 per minute. Very fishy to me, since I had done a fresh install of Windows XP after I cancelled Bells service. They told me I need to have the system repaired and they will activate the service again, which I did and they did. Within the next 2-3 weeks this happend again. I got a 1 week suspension. Problem happend again a few more times, and kept getting 1 week suspensions. In the end I cancelled my Rogers Internet and Bell Home Phone (Bell was pissing me off with some long distant charges to Vancouver and I dont call there at all) and switched over to Primus and got their Home Phone + Internet Plan.

With my experirence, I say your lucky you got a call. Bell did give me a call telling me what is going on and have a good policy which they cannot do anything unless your disconnected from the net, and they did turn it on for me a few times without repair. Rogers on the other hand, was not professional at all. They neglected to inform me, they said they sent emails to my Rogers Yahoo email and they did not since it was not set up. They did not call me and in the end I was very dissapointed.
Banned
Jan 28, 2007
554 posts
48 upvotes
Had the same problem, and there as a irc trojan on it. Formatted all the comps and then everything was fine... The thing was nod32 was on the computer at the time and it couldn't detect the virus, this was about 6 months ago. Now I just installed nod32 with the latest definitions and it found it now...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
JAC wrote:
May 1st, 2008 4:53 pm
Port scans and packet sniffing.
Not needed. Most viruses will be sending out email like mad (thousands per minute, as the previous poster said), all going out through your ISP's SMTP server. They're legitimately aware that you have a virus. The question is, why aren't you?? And why is your brain-dead operating system system permitting such obvious virus activity after years of security patches?
Oct 23, 2004
781 posts
had the same problem. In my case it turned out to be Limewire's fault. Never used that bloatware since. :|
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6109 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Weird thing was when I had the suspension, I was running mcafee, and as soon as I installed AVG Pro, it detected the virus and everything was fine after that and now I always have it running. I was just trying to avoid getting re-suspended.

Without sounding like a prophylactic ad, If you don't wanna catch a virus or get a suspension, protect yourself use antiviral software.... simple as that.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Aug 9, 2012
1 posts
KANATA
Hi,

I just talked to a Rogers representative and she told me that Rogers will never do that, calling users about something that they didn't ask for.

The call looks legit because they say Rogers phone number at the end, but if you pay attention they say that "if you want to talk to someone, press X..." - That is when the scam takes place and you won't be talking to Rogers if you do that.

So be careful because that is a scam, confirmed by Rogers itself

Cheers

Paulo
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
Rogers will suspend your service if you have a virus that has the potential to attack their network.
Aug 9, 2010
771 posts
135 upvotes
Waterloo
pedgarcia wrote:
Oct 26th, 2015 6:50 pm
Hi,

I just talked to a Rogers representative and she told me that Rogers will never do that, calling users about something that they didn't ask for.

The call looks legit because they say Rogers phone number at the end, but if you pay attention they say that "if you want to talk to someone, press X..." - That is when the scam takes place and you won't be talking to Rogers if you do that.

So be careful because that is a scam, confirmed by Rogers itself

Cheers

Paulo

Conflicting reports... Are you basing this entirely off of your conversation with the Rogers employee?

I'm more inclined to believe this is a legit thing that happens since the caller ID is the Rogers # itself and other posters have actually had Trojans on their computers.
× < >