None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3169 posts
533 upvotes
GTA

Rogers bandwidth over cap limit ?

Just wondering, i cant seem to find a thread on here. My brother has rogers and was charged $100 for overcharge fees. He last the lite package. I thought there was some limit as to over cap charges. Can anyone point me to the right direction where to find the specific info, i looked on rogers.com but their site is useless, can't find any information containing the bandwidth cap charges limit. I remember it being something like a specific number, then it was a flat fee for going over the cap.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
1084 posts
69 upvotes
What are the monthly usage allowances for my Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service?

Each Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service offers a generous monthly usage allowance.

Ultra Lite – 2 GB
Lite – 15 GB *
Express – 60 GB
Extreme – 80 GB **
Extreme Plus – 125 GB
Ultimate – 175 GB

*Note for Lite customers: If you signed up for Lite before July 21st, 2010, your usage allowance remains at 25GB. Additionally, if you are a Lite customer living in the Atlantic, your usage allowance remains at 25GB.

**Note for Extreme customers: If you signed up for Extreme before July 21st, 2010, your usage allowance remains at 95GB. Additionally, if you are an Extreme customer living in the Atlantic, your usage allowance remains at 95GB.

Will I be charged if I go beyond my monthly usage allowance?

Yes. If you exceed your monthly usage allowance, you will be charged as follows:

Ultra Lite – $5.00/GB to a maximum of $50.00
Lite – $4.00/GB to a maximum of $50.00 *
Express – $2.00/GB to a maximum of $50.00
Extreme – $1.50/GB to a maximum of $50.00
Extreme Plus – $1.25/GB to a maximum of $50.00
Ultimate – $0.50/GB to a maximum of $50.00

*Note for Lite customers: If you signed up for Lite before July 21st, 2010, your additional usage charges remains at $2.50/GB. Additionally, if you are a Lite customer living in the Atlantic, your additional usage charges remains at $2.50/GB
Straight from the rogers site.
http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/bband/con ... faq.html#4
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
jarko wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 10:18 am
Just wondering, i cant seem to find a thread on here. My brother has rogers and was charged $100 for overcharge fees. He last the lite package. I thought there was some limit as to over cap charges. Can anyone point me to the right direction where to find the specific info, i looked on rogers.com but their site is useless, can't find any information containing the bandwidth cap charges limit. I remember it being something like a specific number, then it was a flat fee for going over the cap.

Is that $100 overcharge fee you saw on the bill? Or, just statistic you see online?
Is that for one month or for 2 months?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3169 posts
533 upvotes
GTA
thats for 1 month, also his lite package has 25gb bandwidth not 15. He went 34gb over the limit, and is charged $100 from robbers for the 34gb extra. I'm just trying to get the exact info, because i feel like something is wrong and want to call up rogers.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
204 upvotes
Damn that sucks. Call them up & complain. If i ever go over, i make sure i go way over - i'm talking close to a terrabyte, and i'm still only charged the $50
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7358 posts
826 upvotes
GTA
jarko wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 1:46 pm
thats for 1 month, also his lite package has 25gb bandwidth not 15. He went 34gb over the limit, and is charged $100 from robbers for the 34gb extra. I'm just trying to get the exact info, because i feel like something is wrong and want to call up rogers.

I'm not with Rogers anymore, but when I was I was a grandfathered lite customer. I kept a 60GB bandwidth limit BUT because of this, my overage limit would have been $2.50/GB with no limit. UberN00b's post from the Rogers site does show that there is a different overage amount for grandfathered customers but doesn't state whether there is a cap.

I don't know if they changed the previous policy or not this year when they lowered all grandfathered lite customers from 60 to 25GB or not (that is when I left). However, if the policy is the same as when I was with them (and they had signed up before a certain date - can't remember what it was) - the charge would be about right:

$2.50/GB x 34 = $85 + HST = $96.05

The current disclaimer says you keep the 25GB bandwidth limit and it is $2.50/GB if you signed up before July 21 but doesn't say whether there is a limit or not.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2009
1489 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Around last year i went to the overcharge $50 limit twice. Pretty sure they're suppose to cap it at $50
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46403 posts
4579 upvotes
Toronto
stanleylai wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 12:15 am
Around last year i went to the overcharge $50 limit twice. Pretty sure they're suppose to cap it at $50

This, I'm sure the max charge you can get Is $50 each month from going over the limit, Was $25 a couple of months ago.

No way your friend got charged $100 just for going over the limit.
Sep 12, 2010
8 posts
Westcoast
... back in the spring of 2001 I got a call from Shaw. I had been with them for a month (at that location) and that was at the peak of Kazaa and such. I was watching alot of UFC / music videos / sports / etc. Anyway ... they mentioned I had 122GB downloaded / 84GB uploaded that month, and that I needed to curtail that immediately. Suggested some tips/advice and such, and I played dumb. Noted to cut off open accessibility/sharing on my end, etc. Noted they were more concerned about the upload # as opposed to the downloads ... so I just slowed down ... kept downloading alot, but didn't leave my uploads available to many. All was fine from that point onward ... never heard back for 8 years, and switched over to Telus last spring when I moved.
Jun 26, 2008
83 posts
Richmond Hill
I am a rogers user and was a grandfather account for the rogers lite - which I had 60 gigs of download limit before. Now however, all the lite users only have 25 gigs of up/download bandwidth monthly. I have gone over the bandwidth several times.. but not as extreme as your friend.. but was charged $2.50/ gig.
Nov 8, 2003
148 posts
2 upvotes
Stopped at a red Mil…
My mother suddenly started getting these warning messages embedded right into the html while browsing the web which claimed she was approaching (75%) and then reaching the 15 GB limit ('Lite'). It took two days to go from 75% to 100% (that's almost 4 gigs in two days) which seems absurd given her browsing habits. She just browses the web and doesn't download anything large or watch long videos (which is why she is on the 'lite' plan in the first place) and now it appears that Rogers is trying to fradulently scam her out of some money. Of course I did check her computer to see if there was any malware transferring data in the background and there was none. She has no wireless router either. I've tried to tell her not to do business with Rogers, given what a sleazy and dishonest bunch of slimebags they've shown themselves to be over the years and now I think I have her convinced, but I would still like to know:

Is anyone else is suddenly getting these warnings where they never have before and are you suspicious about their accuracy?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1074 posts
360 upvotes
Dog5 wrote:
May 20th, 2011 1:37 pm
My mother suddenly started getting these warning messages embedded right into the html while browsing the web which claimed she was approaching (75%) and then reaching the 15 GB limit ('Lite'). It took two days to go from 75% to 100% (that's almost 4 gigs in two days) which seems absurd given her browsing habits. She just browses the web and doesn't download anything large or watch long videos (which is why she is on the 'lite' plan in the first place) and now it appears that Rogers is trying to fradulently scam her out of some money. Of course I did check her computer to see if there was any malware transferring data in the background and there was none. She has no wireless router either. I've tried to tell her not to do business with Rogers, given what a sleazy and dishonest bunch of slimebags they've shown themselves to be over the years and now I think I have her convinced, but I would still like to know:

Is anyone else is suddenly getting these warnings where they never have before and are you suspicious about their accuracy?

Is anyone else using the PC?

If you goto their website, login and access your account (I think it's as easy as registering your invoice # with the login) you are able to track your usage. Can't remember how in depth this is but it may give you some insight as to how the data is being used up.
Nov 8, 2003
148 posts
2 upvotes
Stopped at a red Mil…
Dante19 wrote:
May 20th, 2011 1:48 pm
Is anyone else using the PC?

If you goto their website, login and access your account (I think it's as easy as registering your invoice # with the login) you are able to track your usage. Can't remember how in depth this is but it may give you some insight as to how the data is being used up.

Thank you, I'll do that. I got her to turn off the modem for a day and then call the next day to see what the usage was. They did say it was virtually? nothing so I couldn't prove they were lying, which I'm still convinced they are (it is Rogers after all - "No no, if you have no connectivity the problem *must* be at your end. The 'online' light on your modem is off, so what? Is your computer plugged in, stupid?")
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1074 posts
360 upvotes
Dog5 wrote:
May 20th, 2011 1:53 pm
Thank you, I'll do that. I got her to turn off the modem for a day and then call the next day to see what the usage was. They did say it was virtually? nothing so I couldn't prove they were lying, which I'm still convinced they are (it is Rogers after all - "No no, if you have no connectivity the problem *must* be at your end. The 'online' light on your modem is off, so what? Is your computer plugged in, stupid?")

If they reported that there was no data transmitted while the modem was off it shows they have some idea of what they're talking about. What does your Mother's browsing habits include? Does she listen to music, watch videos, streams? Does anyone else use the computer? What programs are running the backround?