Cell Phones

Rogers to Bell cellphone # portability? How long do both phones need to be active?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2009 11:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 16, 2005
148 posts
Richmond Hill

Rogers to Bell cellphone # portability? How long do both phones need to be active?

Hello,

My 3 years cell phone contract ended yesterday with Rogers and I'd like to move my cell # to Bell.

I called Rogers and they told me I will be still charged for next 30 days even I move the # today to the bell because Rogers needs 30 days in advance notice for cancellation.

My question is I want to use up all Rogers service then want to move to Bell. Do you know how long it takes Bell to get the number from Rogers?
So for example, if I request to cancel my Rogers cell phone today, my service with Rogers will end on January 7, 2010. When should I sign up with Bell for the service with my existing cell phone number?

Thank you.
4 replies
Mar 8, 2008
365 posts
13 upvotes
im not for sure but i think you call bell first and tell them you want to port your number over and they take it over from there. dont call rogers and tell them you want to cancel since once thats done your number is lost forever. give me a sec let me find a link

http://www.articledashboard.com/Article ... ell/853628
Oct 7, 2009
57 posts
Kingston
I work with portability for an American cellphone company and the process is very similar in Canada.

Basically the number you want needs to remain active at your provider until the new provider requests the number to be transferred to them. Once the process completes the previous carrier has to deactivate the line from their billing system so that calls route to your new phone rather than your old one.

So to move a Rogers phone to Bell, Bell has to request the number (with your permission and Rogers account information). Once the request is completed, Rogers has to disconnect it from their billing system. This is normally done automatically, with both carriers synchronizing when they activate/deactivate numbers to avoid calls from being routed improperly.

Do not canel the number at Rogers, do not even let them know you are porting or they might cancel it by mistake. If a number is not active and a port request is made, it will be rejected immediately as the number is not active. This mistake unfortunately happens like 20% of the time with the company I work with.

Wireless portability in the U.S. should not take more than 24 (22 really) hours to complete if everything goes smoothly. I would expect a similar standard here in Canada. I would keep everything at Rogers as if you're going to keep service going indefinitely and request the number be ported over 1 day after the contract ends. So sign up with Bell the day after the contract ends and port the number at that time. Do NOT tell Rogers any of this.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4869 posts
775 upvotes
In my personal experience, porting my number from Rogers to TELUS took less than an hour.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
ttper wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 4:48 pm
Hello,

My 3 years cell phone contract ended yesterday with Rogers and I'd like to move my cell # to Bell. .....if I request to cancel my Rogers cell phone today, my service with Rogers will end on January 7, 2010. When should I sign up with Bell for the service with my existing cell phone number?

Thank you.
Firstly, if you want to port...the LAST THING you want to do is tell your current provider to put a cancellation request on your line.

Secondly....MUST you leave Rogers, and thereby FLUSH DOWN THE TOILET., all the revenue you've accumualted therewith????? What waste.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
× < >