Shopping Discussion

Rogers cable boxes - 8642HD & 4642HD: Do they ever go on sale?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2012 6:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers cable boxes - 8642HD & 4642HD: Do they ever go on sale?

My Rogers 3250HD non-PVR box (in Ontario) is dying, and one of my 8300HDs started having issues. I replaced the drive in the 8300HD for $110 and it's working fine now, but I need to replace the 3250HD entirely.

Do the 8642HD and 4642HD ever go on sale? The cheapest I can find the Rogers 4642 is about $300, which is a ripoff compared to what Videotron charges. I picked up my 8300HDs at 40-50% off on those flash sales at Future Shop that happened once or twice a year.

Do they have the same sales for the 8642 and 4642? If so I'll just wait.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
I'm sure they will now that they have that new whole home over system, keep an eye out
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
the 4642 box went for $270 + taxes during boxing week. Costco has it $300 as their daily regular price.

Thus far, I have yet to see a significant sale for the above.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
the bay has it on sale (unannounced, instore special) usually 10% off the list price. you can also call up rogers asking for a discount....they usually give it.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2202 posts
404 upvotes
I've been watching the prices of these boxes for about 4 years now and the only time they go on sale for a reasonable savings is boxing day/week and rarely in the month or so before Christmas. They have been getting worse as time goes on. For friends and family I've bought 4 8300s at $275-$300 depending if I could PM them and last boxing day I got and 8642 for $350 with extra HDMI cable from Future Shop.

I currently have 1 4250HD hooked up and 2 4250HDs sitting in my closet that I got for $99 each. The two in my closet I bought back from friends after they cancelled their cable. I think between family and friends, we picked up 5 or 6 at that price. The last time I remember them being that low was 2008 or 2009. Since then the lowest for a standard HD box has been around $199 I think.

Basically, you'll probably have to wait 10 months to "hopefully" save $100. That's a bit too long to wait for $100.

Your best bet is to always buy the discounted box for $99 whenever they offer it with purchase of a new TV even if you don't need the box. Chances are that you eventually will and you can always offload it for a profit in the future. Of course, this is only good if you are planning on getting a new TV.

Maybe as RED_ARMY says, they will offer specials on them because of their new ad campaign.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2614 posts
807 upvotes
Woodbridge
As Chookman said, the boxes hardly go on sale and best bet is Christmas/Boxing Day.

I picked up the 8300HD PVR on 2009 Boxing day for $300 at Future Shop and just last December i got the 8642 320GB from Costco for $400 (regular price $530).
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
rarely. I had to 'settle' for buying mine off RFD. I lucked out with a BNIB unit for an attractive price.

you can always check kijiji or craigslist? just be sure to call in the s/n to verify the box is legitimate.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Chookman wrote: I've been watching the prices of these boxes for about 4 years now and the only time they go on sale for a reasonable savings is boxing day/week and rarely in the month or so before Christmas. They have been getting worse as time goes on. For friends and family I've bought 4 8300s at $275-$300 depending if I could PM them and last boxing day I got and 8642 for $350 with extra HDMI cable from Future Shop.
Actually, I got my 8300HDs mid-year for 40% to 50% off. I think one was at Future Shop, and one was at The Source. I was specifically asking about those one-day sales, if they had shown up for the 8642 and 4642, but I hadn't seen them. In fact, I don't see the Rogers boxes at The Source's online store now at all.

[edit] I checked The Source in-store. They only carry Bell now for some reason. [/edit]
Insider wrote: I had to 'settle' for buying mine off RFD. I lucked out with a BNIB unit for an attractive price.

you can always check kijiji or craigslist? just be sure to call in the s/n to verify the box is legitimate.
I tried that but it's a pain, and the last time I didn't even get it after the time wasted. I organized a meet, and called in to Rogers to verify the serial number, and then the guy selling it didn't even show up.
Chookman wrote: Basically, you'll probably have to wait 10 months to "hopefully" save $100. That's a bit too long to wait for $100.
Yeah that sucks. Unfortunately Rogers has us by the nads. The Videotron version of the 500 GB 8642 costs $390 at Future Shop. So, why is the Rogers version $600? The Videotron version of the 4642 costs $190 at Future Shop. So, why is the Rogers version $320?
x95zsk wrote: the bay has it on sale (unannounced, instore special) usually 10% off the list price. you can also call up rogers asking for a discount....they usually give it.
Maybe I'll check them both out. I didn't see the box anywhere on The Bay's website, nor on Sears' website. I did call Rogers to ask if there were any promotions, and they said there were none except for what they were advertising. However, I didn't specifically ask for just a discount on a single box purchase.

P.S. It's the DVI that's dying on the 3250HD. It turns out it still works fine via component. So, I've repurposed it for the guest room 19" TV. I was going to just use my ancient 3100 (non-HD) there, but I found out the hard way its audio doesn't work anymore. Arggh. I don't seem to have great luck with these boxes. Ironically, my 8300HDs are still working, but they've required multiple drive replacements. I think I'm on my third drive for my main machine, and on my second drive for the secondary machine.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey guys, i've been monitoring prices for the 4642 for the past few months from the usual websites (Costco, FS, BB) and they have never gone lower than $299.

I ended up getting a free HD box for my folks when Rogers offered me their current promo. I also knocked 15% off their monthly bills. I do have to lock it in for 1 year term but that's par for the course.

My folks don't know and don't care about the PVR so this is as good as it gets. I also have a HD-PVR free rental and that's all she wrote.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)