Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
574 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers cable line hanging out of box and into my trees

I'm sure you've seen this on your street, the little green box, and rogers cable wire hanging through the trees to your neighbours house, Well, i've had this issue for the last 6 months, I have called rogers repeatedly, and also the by-law office in Brampton, apparently the by-law office here doesn't seem to have any problems with rogers hanging cable in trees. Has anyone else ever sorted out this problem? And if so, please do tell how..

Its funny how fast they're handing a ticket when a car is left on the road overnight....
41 replies
May 1, 2008
116 posts
5 upvotes
Usually this is a temporary wire to give service to your neighbours house. I don't know how long it takes them to come by to bury it permanently. Have they spray painted the grass/sidewalk to survey where to bury yet? What did Rogers say when you called?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
I live in a condo townhouse complex in Brampton and this has been an ongoing problem for us. You finally get them to bury the cables and a few months later, they're back in the trees. I really don't know what they are doing here. We've had them show up and start ripping up lawns and cutting driveways to bury cables. They wanted us to give them blanket consent to come in and do what they wanted but we refused. They use subcontractors which is also part of the problem. Some do a good job, most don't and cause alot of damage. Apparently they are only supposed to put the cables in trees in the winter when they can't bury cables. You really have to keep after them and start working your way up the chain at Rogers.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11203 posts
1422 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 11:34 am
I live in a condo townhouse complex in Brampton and this has been an ongoing problem for us. You finally get them to bury the cables and a few months later, they're back in the trees. I really don't know what they are doing here. We've had them show up and start ripping up lawns and cutting driveways to bury cables. They wanted us to give them blanket consent to come in and do what they wanted but we refused. They use subcontractors which is also part of the problem. Some do a good job, most don't and cause alot of damage. ...
+1, What probably happened is that when they were laying thier new cable, they cut the new lines laid by the previous contract crew. The subcontractors are paid piece meal, so more jobs per day means more money. . The contractors want to work as fast as possible so they don't care if they accidently "cut" someone else's phone or cable TV wiring.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario
What's the problem? Is it on your property? If it is, cut that segment down. They'll eventually remove it.
Feb 9, 2005
608 posts
30 upvotes
dgmorr wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 11:55 am
What's the problem? Is it on your property? If it is, cut that segment down. They'll eventually remove it.
+1 if it's on your property
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
dgmorr wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 11:55 am
Since that leaves your neighbor, who is basically an innocent bystander, without cable, internet, etc....its not exactly a neighborly thing to do.

But I understand the sentiment.
We have one of those "temporary" lines going above our front yard and wrapped around our tree on its way to our next door neighbors house. We arent even a cable customer ourselves. Its been there for at least 3 years!

Maybe I'll ask my neighbor to call the cable company and get it sorted out, as I wouldnt even know who to call in Mississauga.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
574 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Well, I called rogers again, and this time they're telling me that i have to send a registered letter to my neighbour, and until he complains, there is nothing i can do. The cable is in my trees, and not exactly on the property, but however, it is an eyesore. I called by-law back again, and they are sending someone from transportation department because i told them it was a safety issue.

It saddens me to think that rogers can do whatever they please, and the city can't even help.

This seems to be a major issue around Brampton, i have seen it on so many streets, and it rarely gets fixed..
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
I assume you mean the branch of your tree crossed the property line and the cable is in fact on top of his property. In that case, there is nothing you can do unless your neighbour wants to do something.

If the cable crosses your property, call Rogers and tell them you are going to cut the cable if they are not going to fix it by N days.

My colleague had a cable went on top of her roof. She called and told them what I said. They fixed that pretty fast.

BTW, there is no safety issue for a TV cable hanging there. At least, I don't know what safety issue you referred to.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7765 posts
158 upvotes
if the wire is bothering you just cut it down
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
574 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Well, good news, someone from the Works and Transportation came by my house today, and said it will be taken care of within the next few days.. and as for 'cutting it down', thats not really fair to my neighbour.. now is it? I've lived with that cable hanging in my yard for the past 6 months, and.. is it really a safety issue? No, but, do i take pride in my home and yard.. yes. Its a nuisance, and looks horrible. I shouldn't have to feel like the bad guy because i live in an area with all underground cables, that i pay taxes to maintain, and a company like rogers, who makes more money in a month than you'll ever see in a lifetime, can't respect my neighbourhood.

Anyways, with a little push, you can get things done.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
gman wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 12:34 pm
I assume you mean the branch of your tree crossed the property line and the cable is in fact on top of his property. In that case, there is nothing you can do unless your neighbour wants to do something.

If the cable crosses your property, call Rogers and tell them you are going to cut the cable if they are not going to fix it by N days.

My colleague had a cable went on top of her roof. She called and told them what I said. They fixed that pretty fast.

BTW, there is no safety issue for a TV cable hanging there. At least, I don't know what safety issue you referred to.
In my case, the tree is in the middle of my property, and the neighbors wire, goes to it, and wraps around at the top of it, and then proceeds out to the street.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We've been dealing with this as well for the past 2 years or so. It's a royal PITA as in our case the cable comes out of the box and then runs across the ground to the tree. It goes from the tree to a street light and then to the house 2 doors down. Hubby keeps saying he's going to cut it when he trims the grass. Now get this, a couple of weeks ago there was a sub-contractor here working on it and we though great, finally it will buried. Nope, he cut the line and put a splitter on it in the tree!

Ironically, this strung cable went up a couple of months after all new lines were laid in our area. :evil:
Mar 27, 2007
942 posts
Toronto
call and complain that it's a major safety hazard.
Sep 3, 2008
6 posts
Toronto
Interesting I came across this post.....I just found out the other day that this exists in my neighbourhood too. Well actually I saw the wires between a couple of houses before, but I thought they were just sharing cable or something. But I spoke to a neighbour because my cable was down and they said they always see rogers fixing the green box (when it rains heavily) and that's why all these houses have "the tree wires". It was only then that I noticed how many houses had it. Unfortunately when you "technically" don't have cable, you don't have those back up wires.
× < >