Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
zaidyboy wrote: Not necessarily. They've had multiple internet deals through the year towards the end of each quarter to build on their new customer base. The U63 deal lasted for about a year. It's just coincidental that a 'good offer' is present towards the end of the year. Most of the good promos have been targeting BELL FTTH or MDU areas in the last year and a half.

Retention offers are always changing and you don't have to wait for the end of the year .
Xactly what a robbers employee wud say. Nice try tho. Only thing missing is the robbers logo as your avatar. :rolleyes:
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
aznnorth wrote: Xactly what a robbers employee wud say. Nice try tho. Only thing missing is the robbers logo as your avatar. :rolleyes:
Trying to have a decent conversation with you is impossible, isn't it? Getting personal with someone is your way of justifying that you're right? I was a Rogers contractor...for many years, actually. I still have many contacts at Rogers and that is how I know these things.

Telling the RFD community that deals are only around in December is actually BS.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
seuxlo wrote: Curious about how you're escalating your speed issue and which department you're dealing with. I switched recently from 100u to gigabit, and I noticed my download speed remained pretty much the same when I ran tests on my laptop. I was getting 44-48mbps over wifi before and am still getting similar speeds now, occasionally breaking the 50mbps mark. Granted, my laptop can only be on the 2.4g network, but it was still surprising to see no increase in speed. Wired speed test results are in the 280-320mbps range, so I know I am getting faster internet. A tech came over yesterday to try and fix the issue and said he cleaned up some of my connectors in the basement and did some things outside. Still getting the same speeds though. Do you think I have a case to escalate this, and if so, should I start at management office or ootp?
After 3 months of Gigabit I began the escalation with Management office and a technician visited and confirmed ~250Mbps wired. I followed up with Management office who applied an ongoing manual credit but the reason for the slower speed wasn't acceptable. I was constantly told anything above 500Mbps is considered "satisfactory" but no one would explain why I achieved no better than half that so I escalated to office of the President where I was stonewalled so continued onto the Ombudsman's office. The Ombudsman's office pointed out the fact I declined to have senior technical support diagnose the issue which didn't help my cause but I received a goodwill credit equal to 3 months service. The escalation was kicked back to Management office where a separate ongoing manual credit was applied as long as I maintained Gigabit. So for roughly a year I was billed $74.99/month for Gigabit but actually paying $2.99/month. I timed a downgrade to 500U to coincide with a renewal of ongoing manual credits on home services combined. I've now got a separate escalation going where senior technical support are actually involved to diagnose the issue. Since everything is riding on the same cable should it be discovered that the internet signal was pooched from the start it's going to cost them - again.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
zaidyboy wrote: Trying to have a decent conversation with you is impossible, isn't it? Getting personal with someone is your way of justifying that you're right? I was a Rogers contractor...for many years, actually. I still have many contacts at Rogers and that is how I know these things.

Telling the RFD community that deals are only around in December is actually BS.
Ignore the troll and don't give him oxygen.

Glad to have @zaidyboy sharing his insight and suggestions which have been very well received and appreciated in the past.
Jun 29, 2015
333 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zaidyboy wrote: If your area is already Bell FTTH, then you qualify for the competitive Rogers deals. That's what the promotion really means, it's competing with Bell.
Unless Rogers doesn’t have service in your area :’(

Just found out the area of the condo I’m looking at is Bell and Cogeco only. Bell is offering me 50/50 and alt tv for $79.95 a month (yikes), and I don’t know of any cove I deals.

Looks like I may be trying Ebox or Cannet
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
ZeppelinDude93 wrote: Unless Rogers doesn’t have service in your area :’(

Just found out the area of the condo I’m looking at is Bell and Cogeco only. Bell is offering me 50/50 and alt tv for $79.95 a month (yikes), and I don’t know of any cove I deals.

Looks like I may be trying Ebox or Cannet
that's ridiculous. Did you check if your postal code qualified for the Bell Gigabit? That should be the first step then reach out to a Bell Field Rep! Don't go through the regular Bell CS line.
Jun 29, 2015
333 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zaidyboy wrote: that's ridiculous. Did you check if your postal code qualified for the Bell Gigabit? That should be the first step then reach out to a Bell Field Rep! Don't go through the regular Bell CS line.
Yes, I’ve confirmed that its FTTH there both on the online search and from a CS rep.

I looked through the Bell thread but can’t seem to find a field rep in there (put a call out to any reading to send me a PM as well).

It does seem ludicrous. Even when I asked about lower speeds, they offered to drop me from gigabit to 50:50 for a savings of $5 a month (are they nuts?). I saw someone else indicating an offer for $50 w gigabit and alt tv plus $5 monthly credit for $45 - I’d probably jump on that.

Thinking my next best bet is to contact local bell stores or resellers (the source) unless I can find a field rep. Any advice on how to find one?

Ps sorry to hijack the Rogers thread...
Jan 14, 2019
1 posts
FrugalFrites wrote: I inquired about a new internet service last week.

My new home is not in an FTTH (Fiber to the home) area (older area ~30 years) so my internet offer is:
- 150U for $35
- 500U for $60
- Gigabit for $70

For FTTH areas, it gets much cheaper. I believe 500U is around $25.
Let me know if you want my contact for the sales rep.

Those offers look good, better than what I am being offered. Are the prices for 6, 12 or 24 months?
Jan 23, 2017
39 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone know Bell's lowest rate promo for their Best Package (Fibe TV 175 Channels, 1.5Gb Internet & IP Home Phone). Their Website shows $153.85 month for 12 months. I am sure they offer lower rates..... I am in an FTTH area where Bell has installed Fiber....and my Rogers U63 is ending. So it's either switch time or get a similar Promo deal with Rogers for their best Package (Premier TV 170 channels + 1.0 Gb internet + IP Home Phone)... ..although it wasn't part of my U63 package. Appreciate any info you can share. thx...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
RJMAXIM wrote: Anyone know Bell's lowest rate promo for their Best Package (Fibe TV 175 Channels, 1.5Gb Internet & IP Home Phone). Their Website shows $153.85 month for 12 months. I am sure they offer lower rates..... I am in an FTTH area where Bell has installed Fiber....and my Rogers U63 is ending. So it's either switch time or get a similar Promo deal with Rogers for their best Package (Premier TV 170 channels + 1.0 Gb internet + IP Home Phone)... ..although it wasn't part of my U63 package. Appreciate any info you can share. thx...
Check the Bell Thread.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
RJMAXIM wrote: Anyone know Bell's lowest rate promo for their Best Package (Fibe TV 175 Channels, 1.5Gb Internet & IP Home Phone). Their Website shows $153.85 month for 12 months. I am sure they offer lower rates..... I am in an FTTH area where Bell has installed Fiber....and my Rogers U63 is ending. So it's either switch time or get a similar Promo deal with Rogers for their best Package (Premier TV 170 channels + 1.0 Gb internet + IP Home Phone)... ..although it wasn't part of my U63 package. Appreciate any info you can share. thx...
I don't know if this matters to you or not, but I will note that the Rogers' home phone that is bundled with Digital TV should be considered a close land line substitute, since it does work with both fax machines and home security systems. It's not like other VoIP solutions which have major compatibility issues with both fax and security systems.

With Digital TV, there is a separate home phone modem, which also has its own battery backup. With Ignite TV though, the home phone is integrated, which of course is a problem since if Ignite TV/internet modem goes out, so does home phone. The same is true with Bell Fibe Home Phone too though, so outside of a true land line, the Rogers Home Phone that comes with Digital TV is probably the best solution for Home Phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
EugW wrote: I don't know if this matters to you or not, but I will note that the Rogers' home phone that is bundled with Digital TV should be considered a close land line substitute, since it does work with both fax machines and home security systems. It's not like other VoIP solutions which have major compatibility issues with both fax and security systems.

With Digital TV, there is a separate home phone modem, which also has its own battery backup. With Ignite TV though, the home phone is integrated, which of course is a problem since if Ignite TV/internet modem goes out, so does home phone. The same is true with Bell Fibe Home Phone too though, so outside of a true land line, the Rogers Home Phone that comes with Digital TV is probably the best solution for Home Phone.
My one issue is the land line will drop for 15-20 seconds while the security system communicates after being armed or disarmed.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote: My one issue is the land line will drop for 15-20 seconds while the security system communicates after being armed or disarmed.
It's not the land line dropping per se. If I understand it correctly, when the security system communicates with the land line, it will switch off access to the land line from the rest of the house. In essence, a correctly installed security system has first dibs at the land line, and will disconnect it from the house as needed. You don't want a telephone or fax machine interrupting the transmitted signal. The actual land line itself is still active though.

If you install Rogers Home Phone or Bell Home Phone correctly in conjunction with a home security system, the behaviour should be exactly the same. When the alarm system communicates with the monitoring company, it will disable the connection to the rest of the house. OTOH, if you just plug a Rogers Home Phone modem into your home phone system yourself into a random jack, you've essentially bypassed the switch the alarm system uses to give itself exclusive use of it when necessary. This is bad because then anything on the line can disrupt transmissions from the home security system.

In my case, I don't care if the phone jacks are disconnected while the security system is communicating. We only use the "landline" (or Rogers/Bell Home Phone) for the alarm system and for my fax machine. Nothing else. For a while I was using Zoomer Wireless for a voice line at home (for just $10 a month, hardware included), but now we have no home voice line at all. We just use our cell phones.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1463 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
Called 1-866-737-4159. Told them I was going to cancel all my services after Online Chat could not give me what I was paying before.

I was offered $141.23 taxes in for 1 Gbs internet (including modem rental) + popular tv package (1 Nextbox PVR) + home phone with Unlimited Canadian LD which is exactly what I was paying for the last 2 years. Originally my bill was going up to $174 taxes in and the 1st offer by the Senior team, as well as online and FB chat was $162 taxes in.

I wounder if I could have done better if I actually cancelled and waited for Winback to call?
:arrow:
Car Dealer not honouring the warranty on a new vehicle? See this thread
Jan 13, 2009
6 posts
1 upvote
kitchener
synappzz wrote: Just chatted online, told them I wanted to cancel service after ~20 yrs.
Offer was not very good, will be calling in next.

"Our Select Ignite TV with 2 voice activated remotes + 2 4k Cloud PVRs + Canada Time shifting + Ignite 150 with our latest modem + Free Canada wide home phone service comes to $168.04."

Hoping to get this for under $130/month.
Update

Called in to 'cancel' with the number provided in Rogers chat after declining 3 offers.

Was offered

Select TV + 1 Nextbox PVR +1 HD Box
250U unlimited internet
Basic Phone unlimited Canada calling, 3 features
12 months (tried for 24, but he wouldn't budge)
$118 taxes included

I know some are getting better, < $100, but this is better than the $186 I was paying.
Good luck!!
Jan 23, 2017
39 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough
seuxlo wrote: Curious about how you're escalating your speed issue and which department you're dealing with. I switched recently from 100u to gigabit, and I noticed my download speed remained pretty much the same when I ran tests on my laptop. I was getting 44-48mbps over wifi before and am still getting similar speeds now, occasionally breaking the 50mbps mark. Granted, my laptop can only be on the 2.4g network, but it was still surprising to see no increase in speed. Wired speed test results are in the 280-320mbps range, so I know I am getting faster internet. A tech came over yesterday to try and fix the issue and said he cleaned up some of my connectors in the basement and did some things outside. Still getting the same speeds though. Do you think I have a case to escalate this, and if so, should I start at management office or ootp?
Been on 1Gb for last 2 years and on Rogers Coda beta program....Rogers speed is never consistent but to be fair, there are many conditions that affect speed....Your equipment, Street Infrastructure, Rogers CMTS (Server you are connected to), etc, etc...My speeds have fluctuated from 200 - 800 with average around 600. A few times I was able to exceed 1gb and received 1.4Gb but not anymore as more customers on my street are signing up for Gigabit internet. You'll have to start with Rogers Support, who are contractors, and usually they will escalate quickly to level 2 if they cannot solve it. When I had issues Level 2 replaced the street amp and ran new wires to the house. You can also join the Coda Beta pgm and get help from the forum team. Overall....you have to get used to that 1Gbps is NOT the average speed....but you should "most" of the time get at least 750 - 850. Upload is more consistent at 40 - 45. I am in Bridge mode and Wi-Fi speeds vary on how close you are to the router......it can be anywhere from 20 mbps to 400mbps , which is more then adequate...I would call back support and request a senior rep. If this doesn't work...than escalate higher. You'll have to work the chain.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
I'm usually getting over 900 Mbps, but it should be noted that my house has had chronic cable TV signal issues with cable in the past, necessitating multiple visits from techs over the years.

At first they replaced some internal old RG59 wiring with new RG6 and replaced some of my splitters. That helped, but I was still having problems. Then they installed an amplifier. That helped again, but I was still having cable TV dropout problems. Finally after multiple calls, a guy came and installed RG11 from across the street to my house and that solved all my problems, as it was a pretty long run. However, at the time I was on DSL or VDSL so it never affected my internet access. Fast forward to 2019 and my new Rogers cable internet connection and my signal levels seem decent.

Mind you, I'd be happy with anything over 300 down, and probably would be OK with 150 down too if the price was right. I'd rather see higher upload speeds than the up to 30.

BTW, although my SNR numbers are decent with the amplifier in place, I wonder if I should just try to remove the signal amplifier. It would necessitate disconnecting some of the cable connections in my house to keep signal strengths up, but many of them are unused anyway.
Oct 12, 2005
68 posts
Toronto
After two separate agents on FB Messenger and Retention both failed to come below my existing $112.98+tx package of Popular TV + Cdn Timeshifting w/ HD PVR and 150u, I put in a cancellation request and got the Winback e-mail two days later. I was offered:

Popular TV w/ Cdn Timeshifting & TMN/HBO/Crave
HD PVR
500u w/ Gigabit modem
$87.99+tx for 1-year, subject to possible $6-10 rate increase in March

I live in an apartment rental in Bathurst / Eglinton area. Offer seems reasonable with the upgrades and still a drop in cost. Thoughts?
Jan 17, 2012
126 posts
164 upvotes
Ontario
Has anyone gotten the number 1-877-295-6188 from Rogers with a code to get a special offer to come back after putting in their cancellation? I'm wondering which is the better option to call first, this one or the Winback number from the email.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)