Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2880 posts
1641 upvotes
Pickering, ON
cb8888 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 9:00 pm
I got a call today from a guy who claimed to be a Rogers rep with a legit Rogers email address offering me 60mbps for 50 a month or 150mbs for 60... I thought it was a scam so I called Rogers directly and the guy told me that yea they do have reps calling around offering such packages... I haven't been a Rogers customer for around 10 years so odd I would get a random call like that
it's field sales.
#WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2880 posts
1641 upvotes
Pickering, ON
mcfrugal wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 3:59 pm
I'm an EXISTING customer and after calling retention several time with no luck here is what I was able to get through FaceBook chat:

150u Internet + Select TV for $99 before tax (one year guaranteed)

on FB they also offered me free PVR rental but when I went to the store to pick up my PVR they told me that I'm "not supposed to get this deal" LOL.. I'm OK without the PVR. I know the deal is luke warm ... would have been nice to get Popular TV at least ....
i don't think you should've settled on that. Should give it a couple more tries and see where it lands ya'
#WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1403 posts
119 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 10:31 pm
Why do you folks need a gigabit internet at all? That's something beyond my comprehension!
An HD movie streaming takes about 5 Mbps. So even if you have a bunch of rambunctious kids in the house, streaming utube/netflix and no-matter-what, all the time,
you would still not exceed a 100 Mbps?

Eh?
To a regular consumer who just browses facebook and uses netflix semi-regularly, yes this a valid point. I'm not a regular consumer though. I have no television service. Anything I do or watch is via the internet. I download a lot. Without going into specifics, I regularly download things at over 20-30 megaBYTES (not bits) per second. Not to mention that I have FreePhoneLine (voip) running on my network (which admittedly doesn't use much bandwidth) and regularly remote into various computers from outside my house. My entire house is wired with CAT6 and all devices that are stationary and can be wired, are wired. So I'm fully taking advantage of the speeds inside and out of my network. Personally, the 250u was sufficient for my needs, but Robbers decided to conveniently discontinue the 250u package, leaving only 150u or 500u.

It's kind of like how Apple only has 2 sizes of iPhones now 64gb or 256gb, knowing fully well that 256gb is probably overkill even for power users, and 64gb will be too little for those same users. They don't want to give that middle of the line service because most customers will opt for it leaving low sales of the low or high end sizes.

All that being said, I was paying $70/mo for 250u. Having removed the 250u plan, the options this time were $79/mo for 150u or $89/mo for 500u. To me it didn't make sense to pay more for less speed, but I guess that's how Robbers traps you. And Teksavvy's prices aren't competitive anymore.
adamm
Nov 13, 2016
248 posts
93 upvotes
Same here. I was on the 250u plan and paying $70/month. Happy with the speed and unlimited bandwidth. Peace of mind that I have a fast/steady connection at home.

I had to switch over to 150u paying the same amount. So far it's okay, but a part of me feels I'm stilly paying too much for my home internet.
Sep 21, 2015
236 posts
101 upvotes
London, ON
tonedcarrot wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 2:23 pm
Same here. I was on the 250u plan and paying $70/month. Happy with the speed and unlimited bandwidth. Peace of mind that I have a fast/steady connection at home.

I had to switch over to 150u paying the same amount. So far it's okay, but a part of me feels I'm stilly paying too much for my home internet.
There's a couple TPIA's offering 75u around $35/month.

So yes, you are paying to much.
Nov 13, 2016
248 posts
93 upvotes
I have had bad experiences with TPIA's and I refuse to pay the setup fees and modem rental/purchase fees associated with them. But thanks anyways.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1408 posts
162 upvotes
Fredericton
adamm wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 4:47 pm
To a regular consumer who just browses facebook and uses netflix semi-regularly, yes this a valid point. I'm not a regular consumer though. I have no television service. Anything I do or watch is via the internet. I download a lot. Without going into specifics, I regularly download things at over 20-30 megaBYTES (not bits) per second. Not to mention that I have FreePhoneLine (voip) running on my network (which admittedly doesn't use much bandwidth) and regularly remote into various computers from outside my house. My entire house is wired with CAT6 and all devices that are stationary and can be wired, are wired. So I'm fully taking advantage of the speeds inside and out of my network. Personally, the 250u was sufficient for my needs, but Robbers decided to conveniently discontinue the 250u package, leaving only 150u or 500u.

It's kind of like how Apple only has 2 sizes of iPhones now 64gb or 256gb, knowing fully well that 256gb is probably overkill even for power users, and 64gb will be too little for those same users. They don't want to give that middle of the line service because most customers will opt for it leaving low sales of the low or high end sizes.

All that being said, I was paying $70/mo for 250u. Having removed the 250u plan, the options this time were $79/mo for 150u or $89/mo for 500u. To me it didn't make sense to pay more for less speed, but I guess that's how Robbers traps you. And Teksavvy's prices aren't competitive anymore.
Mostly in the same boat. Currently on a 250u retention price point until January. 150u is more than I am currently paying, based on the website, and I do not like the idea of paying more for less. I'm hoping to get 500u for a price I can be happy with by the time January rolls around.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6479 posts
2816 upvotes
Markham
I can confirm that you can get $99 deal for Ignite 150 + Select TV through the Facebook chat. They will also offer you a $9.99 phone service.

Remember to be courteous and nice with the chat employee.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4116 posts
643 upvotes
Abbottabad
Signed up for Student offer with Rogers. $84.99 for Ignite75 and Select TV. These incompetent idiots are now denying it ever happened and now I'm being dinged $136 a month for Ignite 75 and Select TV.

Robbers at its best.
Sep 13, 2012
227 posts
77 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
iamskyhigh wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 7:59 pm
Signed up for Student offer with Rogers. $84.99 for Ignite75 and Select TV. These incompetent idiots are now denying it ever happened and now I'm being dinged $136 a month for Ignite 75 and Select TV.

Robbers at its best.
Don't complain, easy money. Start off by escalating to management office then the office of the President. Looking at $200 goodwill credit *at least* on top of any other backdated credits and free month/s worth of service.
Mar 25, 2009
443 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 4:15 pm
I can confirm that you can get $99 deal for Ignite 150 + Select TV through the Facebook chat. They will also offer you a $9.99 phone service.

for $99 did they also offer you a free bonus channel and PVR plus Giganet preview? They offered it to me on FB but the final contract they sent didn’t have any of the 3 additional features.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2880 posts
1641 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 4:15 pm

Some existing customers were able to get the field sales offer of Popular TV / 150u and local home phone for 99.99.

Select TV and 150u for 99.99 isn’t that great of a deal
#WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1001 posts
235 upvotes
adamm wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 4:47 pm
Without going into specifics, I regularly download things at over 20-30 megaBYTES (not bits) per second.
I also frequently download gigabytes-sized stuff... But even at 100 Mbps (~10 MBps), it takes only 100 seconds to download a gigabyte,
so for me this speed limit is not an annoyance at all.

An annoying bottleneck seems to be the upload speed (10 Mbps),
I'm wondering why is it so asymmetric for the cable internet ?
(Fibre DSL seems to be more symmetric?)
Oct 2, 2017
4 posts
Does the 60 mbps field sales $50.00/month plan price include a modem rental? Looking to switch from Fido's 30mbps $50.00/month plan and would like to know if the price is the same.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2880 posts
1641 upvotes
Pickering, ON
rfd108 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 4:19 pm
Does the 60 mbps field sales $50.00/month plan price include a modem rental? Looking to switch from Fido's 30mbps $50.00/month plan and would like to know if the price is the same.
Yes, it does.
#WeTheNorth

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)