Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1480 posts
254 upvotes
Fredericton
smuPoker wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:38 am
Hmmm, I have the same $75 Gigabit plan. Maybe I'll try this because let's be honest, an almost 11% bill increase is unacceptable.
I just chatted to a Live agent who clarified that my $74.99 Gigabit plan is only going to increase to $79.99 as shown on the Rogers site at this time. I was prepared to complain constructively to an $8 increase, but as of now, I'm not going to bother with the $5 increase.
Nov 9, 2006
182 posts
39 upvotes
Brantford
Been going around in circles with Rogers and getting absolutely no where.

All they'll offer me (on a 35+ year old account) is (this is a direct copy+paste from the chat rep).

Popular = 74.99 - 20.00 = 54.99 plus taxes
Rogers Ignite 500u = 127.99 - 52.99 = 75.00 plus taxes
Canada home phone plan would be 24.99 plus taxes
Total: 54.99 + 75.00 + 24.99 = 154.98 plus taxes.

No box rentals or anything, which is an extra 10 for HD PVR or 5 for HD; and this is another sore spot with Rogers to, apparently they converted my current rentals to rent to own and I now own them (2 boxes, HD PVR, HD) and have zero warranty.

Doing just TV alone, best they'll offer is 15 off (so 59.99 + tax), and no boxes.

Also spoke with retention once (I think) and was given practically the same deal but with 150u internet.

Also emailed the email at the beginning of the thread and haven't heard back, but I'm guessing they deal with new customers only?
Jun 13, 2013
129 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa
I follow this thread occasionally just to see what the latest offers are; but am wondering why on Earth do people keep their home phone via Rogers/Bell when there are so many cheaper alternatives. Even paying $24.99 for a home phone seems absurd to me. Is it because they don't give a bundle discount without including it? If so, does the discount make it worthwhile even if you're paying $25 a month for a home phone?

Full disclosure: I completely (two weeks now) severed all ties with Rogers. I dumped my home phone years ago in favor of Ooma (which costs me $4.50 a month), moved my internet services to Start.ca (where I don't have to make an annual anxiety-filled, headache-inducing "what can you do for me?!" phone call only to end up paying close to the same rate I'm now paying without having to "go through the process"), and cut my cable completely (in favour of streaming options via my Nvidia Shield TV). To date, I have had ZERO regrets with my decision (and even made $250 by selling my Nextbox PVR!).
Sep 21, 2015
394 posts
140 upvotes
London, ON
nova1979 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:48 pm
I follow this thread occasionally just to see what the latest offers are; but am wondering why on Earth do people keep their home phone via Rogers/Bell when there are so many cheaper alternatives.
I've had 3 phonelines through www.freephoneline.ca for several years now with no problems (except when Rogers required me to switch my modem, and they didn't provision the new modem properly. My internet connection was down for 2 days . No internet = no voip)

It cost me $50 for obihai equipment, $25 to transfer in a number on the first line, and $60 x 3 (it's more expensive now) for voip unlock keys. Also took me a weekend to read instructions and figure out how to setup the obihai.

I've got voice mail, caller id, and free canadian long distance. Monthly cost? 0.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1096 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
nova1979 wrote:
I follow this thread occasionally just to see what the latest offers are; but am wondering why on Earth do people keep their home phone via Rogers/Bell when there are so many cheaper alternatives. Even paying $24.99 for a home phone seems absurd to me. Is it because they don't give a bundle discount without including it? If so, does the discount make it worthwhile even if you're paying $25 a month for a home phone?
My parents are old-fashioned so we've had our Bell landline for ages... but it's so bloody expensive. I can't talk them out of it because we do occasionally fax things. Otherwise I'd go for the 3 service combo instead of playing this negotiating game with Rogers just for Internet...
Aug 8, 2012
122 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
nova1979 wrote:

Full disclosure: I completely (two weeks now) severed all ties with Rogers. I dumped my home phone years ago in favor of Ooma (which costs me $4.50 a month), moved my internet services to Start.ca (where I don't have to make an annual anxiety-filled, headache-inducing "what can you do for me?!" phone call only to end up paying close to the same rate I'm now paying without having to "go through the process"), and cut my cable completely (in favour of streaming options via my Nvidia Shield TV). To date, I have had ZERO regrets with my decision (and even made $250 by selling my Nextbox PVR!).
For me, the alarm system requires a landline. If I switch to VOIP service such as Ooma, I'd have to upgrade the alarm system at a cost that would neutralize my savings from going wireless, so I just stick to landline with its higher call quality/reliability.

I wouldn't pay over $20 though, and especially not the prices they show on their website. That's just way too much for technology that is over a century old
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10915 posts
3341 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Symbol87 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:54 pm
For me, the alarm system requires a landline. If I switch to VOIP service such as Ooma, I'd have to upgrade the alarm system at a cost that would neutralize my savings from going wireless, so I just stick to landline with its higher call quality/reliability.

I wouldn't pay over $20 though, and especially not the prices they show on their website. That's just way too much for technology that is over a century old
What kind of alarm system do you have? For the longest time, I held out going with Ooma because I was under the impression that my alarm system needed a landline. But a couple months ago I finally did the switch and I didn't run into any problems with my alarm working with Ooma. Just had to use a Ooma Lynx device so that I can put the Ooma box upstairs while being able to hook up the alarm system in the basement to it. I have a DSC alarm with The Monitoring Center.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1096 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Symbol87 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:54 pm

Who is your landline provider? The prices at Bell are awful.
Nov 12, 2017
9 posts
I have heard that if a family member (parents) at the same address is an existing Rogers customer. It is possible to close that service/account and sign up under a different family member (yourself) and it is possible to get the benefits of a limited time offer deal. Anyone know if this is true?
Aug 8, 2012
122 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:01 pm
What kind of alarm system do you have? For the longest time, I held out going with Ooma because I was under the impression that my alarm system needed a landline. But a couple months ago I finally did the switch and I didn't run into any problems with my alarm working with Ooma. Just had to use a Ooma Lynx device so that I can put the Ooma box upstairs while being able to hook up the alarm system in the basement to it. I have a DSC alarm with The Monitoring Center.
Hmm, I'll look into that, thanks.
diav wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:55 pm
Who is your landline provider? The prices at Bell are awful.
Rogers. You can get unadvertised plans by just calling in. I got the North america calling with 6 features
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1096 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Symbol87 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:57 am
Rogers. You can get unadvertised plans by just calling in. I got the North america calling with 6 features
Dang, that's pretty good. I'll see if I can haggle with Rogers on this then... The parents have been super resistant with porting the Bell landline to either a wireless home phone or the Rogers landline... but I'll see if I can get a bundle with Rogers since I need to deal with their expiring Ignite 100u contract.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
3621 posts
1853 upvotes
Northside
Symbol87 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:57 am
Hmm, I'll look into that, thanks.

What other products do you have with Rogers?
#WeTheNorth
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10915 posts
3341 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zaidyboy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:43 am
What other products do you have with Rogers?
The $19.99 NA deal is a bundled discount. I think you need to have cable+internet with Rogers? I had the gigabit+VIP deal for $99 and was able to addon the NA LD home phone for $20. They told me at the time that the $20 promo is ongoing as long as I keep my internet and cable.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
3621 posts
1853 upvotes
Northside
rvs007 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:43 am
The $19.99 NA deal is a bundled discount. I think you need to have cable+internet with Rogers? I had the gigabit+VIP deal for $99 and was able to addon the NA LD home phone for $20. They told me at the time that the $20 promo is ongoing as long as I keep my internet and cable.
Yep, that's what I thought.

Thanks for clarifying :)
#WeTheNorth
Jul 22, 2016
64 posts
34 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:43 am
I wonder if that's just agent talk... if it's a bundle discount then the bill says it. For me, it mentions ignite bundle savings under both my Internet and Cable sections, but under my home phone section it shows the same as the picture above, i.e no bundle savings. Theoretically I should be able to drop the internet and cable and still keep the same price for home phone.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-h ... a-1297741/ <- here it shows that their system had/has it as an individual feature

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)