Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7718 posts
913 upvotes
TheZodiac wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 9:56 am
How do I contact customer relations?
You just call and say you want to cancel. Sound convincing.

I had previously assumed that when you hit you want to cancel a service through their automated system, that they automatically connect you with retentions. This wasn't the case, the guy actually had to transfer me again.
Dec 19, 2004
251 posts
14 upvotes
London
Called in to get a good deal on 500u or Gigabit. Spoke to two people at "retentions" who swore up and down that $99/month was the best that anyone can get. Placed my cancellation request for the end of the month.

Three days later got the "win back" email. Called them, and got Gigabit for $35+tax for 1 year. Seems like you really have to put in a cancellation order to get the best deal.
Dec 1, 2005
95 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
yogiz wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 7:35 pm
FYI

Internet only customer
Was on $59.99 100u plan
Discounts ending 25th July
Cancellation request last week starting Aug 1
Got winback email
Called today, Got offered 500mbps unlimited for $29.99 , which I accepted happily.

Bell in my area, only offers upto 100mbps
This is very good. Bell is up to 100mbps in my area as well, and the best I was offered was $49.99 for 500mbps. The winback rep specifically checked my address for Bell FTTH and said sorry that's the best because our competitor is not offering higher speed.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2124 posts
697 upvotes
Mississauga
My Gigabit/VIP ($99+tax) is expiring early September so I called Rogers a couple times in the last few days to get a renewal deal. I wanted the Gigabit/Premier for $104+tax but they would not budge for $108+tax so I requested cancellation in 45days. I stay on hold for 50 minutes while they "processed" the cancellation.

Got a call 3 hrs later and got offered Gigabit/Premier/Home phone for $105+tax. It's month to month with 2 year price discount guaranteed. Very close to what I wanted but just not sure about the Home phone add-on since it is just another service that they can jack up the price before the discount expires. Worth it?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1072 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 2:28 pm
My Gigabit/VIP ($99+tax) is expiring early September so I called Rogers a couple times in the last few days to get a renewal deal. I wanted the Gigabit/Premier for $104+tax but they would not budge for $108+tax so I requested cancellation in 45days. I stay on hold for 50 minutes while they "processed" the cancellation.

Got a call 3 hrs later and got offered Gigabit/Premier/Home phone for $105+tax. It's month to month with 2 year price discount guaranteed. Very close to what I wanted but just not sure about the Home phone add-on since it is just another service that they can jack up the price before the discount expires. Worth it?
Maybe you can ask them if they can give you another HD box instead of a home phone if you have another TV at home.
Cable/Internet: $110+tax - Premier, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Mar 23, 2004
3 posts
Markham
Firstly, I want to thank all the individuals that have been posting their experiences/deals when it comes to Rogers services. Upon reading the numerous pages on this subject, I have called on multiple occasions and had no luck in obtaining any decent deals as many have posted. As a result, I put in my cancellation notice last week and received winback email this past Monday.

Gave them a call and all they offered was 250U + Popular + Home Phone for $129.95 taxes in and told me the offer is only valid till 7 pm today. As you can imagine, this was a little shocking to say the least and wondering if others have had any similar experiences? Also, when you do call winback what information are you telling the representative on the line in order to secure decent offers? Thanks.
Sep 24, 2006
588 posts
59 upvotes
Guelph, On
My contract ends August 7 and tomorrow I would like to get Gigabit/Premier/Home phone for $105+tax offer.
Has anyone tried the facebook route? Since getting rogers I have only dealt with facebook messenger or do I need to call them for this deal/
thanks
Oct 31, 2010
124 posts
30 upvotes
Sorry if this was asked already, but are there any known deals for new subdivision/new customers? is there an easier way to search through these pages to find them if they're posted? thanks!!
Nov 23, 2012
250 posts
49 upvotes
ayking wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 11:16 am
This is very good. Bell is up to 100mbps in my area as well, and the best I was offered was $49.99 for 500mbps. The winback rep specifically checked my address for Bell FTTH and said sorry that's the best because our competitor is not offering higher speed.
You should've lol'd at that. Bell's 100mbps is superior to Roger's gigabit.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2775 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
dmflash1 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 9:57 pm
You should've lol'd at that. Bell's 100mbps is superior to Roger's gigabit.
True, confirmed by Bell
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Nov 23, 2012
250 posts
49 upvotes
osuman wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 11:31 pm
True, confirmed by Bell
I used to think the whole "shared line" sales pitch was just a smear campaign, but since switching to Bell the evidence speaks for itself.
Kids no longer complain about lagging with online games, websites load instantly and YouTube doesn't buffer. I went from Roger's 500u for $35 to Bell fibe 100 for $50 and the $15 extra for a superior service was well worth it for me.
However if you dont game ,steam or browse online I guess Roger's would suffice.
Sep 21, 2015
491 posts
170 upvotes
London, ON
dmflash1 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 7:08 am
I used to think the whole "shared line" sales pitch was just a smear campaign, but since switching to Bell the evidence speaks for itself.
Kids no longer complain about lagging with online games, websites load instantly and YouTube doesn't buffer. I went from Roger's 500u for $35 to Bell fibe 100 for $50 and the $15 extra for a superior service was well worth it for me.
However if you dont game ,steam or browse online I guess Roger's would suffice.
Or, you're in a area/neighbourhood with poor Rogers service. The 'shared line' sale pitch is exactly that, a smear campaign/sales pitch.

Most people have a connection speed much faster then they have any need for. Sounds like 100mb was a lot closer to your actual needs then 500mb, and cable had physical issues vs dsl *in your neighborhood*.
Nov 23, 2012
250 posts
49 upvotes
cleacy1972 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 8:30 am
Or, you're in a area/neighbourhood with poor Rogers service. The 'shared line' sale pitch is exactly that, a smear campaign/sales pitch.

Most people have a connection speed much faster then they have any need for. Sounds like 100mb was a lot closer to your actual needs then 500mb, and cable had physical issues vs dsl *in your neighborhood*.
Yes, I'm in a area/neighborhood with poor Roger's service...Ontario.
Have a peek at their Facebook page, most of the complaints are poor internet service. The Hitron CODA they unleashed still dosen't have a proper firmware ,hence the reason they keep rolling back firmware versions.
There is a reason why Roger's is selling 500u and "gigabit" internet for $35/$45, because it sucks.
Sep 21, 2015
491 posts
170 upvotes
London, ON
dmflash1 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 9:52 am
Yes, I'm in a area/neighborhood with poor Roger's service...Ontario.
Have a peek at their Facebook page, most of the complaints are poor internet service. The Hitron CODA they unleashed still dosen't have a proper firmware ,hence the reason they keep rolling back firmware versions.
There is a reason why Roger's is selling 500u and "gigabit" internet for $35/$45, because it sucks.
Weird, i'm also in Ontario and cable here works amazing. DSL connections aren't bad, except they max out at 8mb which really isn't any comparison.

Network topology is neighborhood specific. To generalize based on city/province doesn't help anyone.
Sep 7, 2010
57 posts
11 upvotes
Z-UNIT wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 6:31 pm
Firstly, I want to thank all the individuals that have been posting their experiences/deals when it comes to Rogers services. Upon reading the numerous pages on this subject, I have called on multiple occasions and had no luck in obtaining any decent deals as many have posted. As a result, I put in my cancellation notice last week and received winback email this past Monday.

Gave them a call and all they offered was 250U + Popular + Home Phone for $129.95 taxes in and told me the offer is only valid till 7 pm today. As you can imagine, this was a little shocking to say the least and wondering if others have had any similar experiences? Also, when you do call winback what information are you telling the representative on the line in order to secure decent offers? Thanks.
That sounds really weird... Rogers doesn't even list the 250u speeds anymore. Maybe that's a reason for the higher price - are they preserving your existing speeds rather than quoting the new bundles & discounts?

This was my conversation with Winback:
  • Why am I leaving? The overall price is too expensive, especially once my discounts expire.
  • I am being offered X by Bell, and even Y by Carrytel, etc.
  • I was really happy with Rogers legacy package of ExtraPlus including TMN/HBO. It had all the channels I wanted and we were only paying Z. Do you have something comparable?
They immediately came back with the 500u & Gigabit offers, including Premier TV and Home Phone. I think if you have a bit of competitor research for your area, and know what you're after it can go smoothly.

Also check if you're being charged for box rentals because that adds up quickly and some legacy plans were rent-to-own.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 3 guests)

Rawrben, muscleflex, bravo90078