Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Sep 19, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Oshawa
I'm facing the end of my contract in November. What I have now is 500U, with "Popular" cable channel group and NextBox 3.0 HDPVR - $112.99 per month, pre-tax. It also includes the Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem.

The modem is the problem - it disconnects frequently, requiring a reboot. Also, it's not 802.11ac compatible. I understand that the newer model is the Hitron CODA-4582 which does have 802.11ac. They won't agree to extend my current service without keeping the existing modem.

Any suggestions?
Jan 24, 2008
770 posts
41 upvotes
Called Rogers to cancel at the end of my billing cycle. The rep asked if I have already ported my number, to which I said no. He said if I put in a cancelation request now, there's a chance I can lose my number, especially because porting a number can take up to 7 days.

True?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11662 posts
3736 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eednapes wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 5:27 pm
Called Rogers to cancel at the end of my billing cycle. The rep asked if I have already ported my number, to which I said no. He said if I put in a cancelation request now, there's a chance I can lose my number, especially because porting a number can take up to 7 days.

True?
Yes, if you intend to port your number out, do not cancel/put in a cancellation on your current line. It would block the port from going through.
Aug 18, 2010
346 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys. Never been with Rogers, but have been looking to jump ships from my provider now.

Looking for 150/15 internet.. maybe cable tv (basic, all I really want is CP24).

How would I go about and doing this? and how much am I expecting to pay?
Jan 24, 2008
770 posts
41 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 5:33 pm
Yes, if you intend to port your number out, do not cancel/put in a cancellation on your current line. It would block the port from going through.
No, what I intend to do is to get a call from win-back.
Banned
Aug 31, 2018
34 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
hobbes778 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 2:52 pm
Just a quick question to understand. "ignite tv" means ip-based, no longer cable-based? i.e. older cable boxes will not work?
That's right. They will be swapped with wireless boxes much smaller in size with the most recent technology.
Banned
Aug 31, 2018
34 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
dealzminion wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 4:30 pm
I'm facing the end of my contract in November. What I have now is 500U, with "Popular" cable channel group and NextBox 3.0 HDPVR - $112.99 per month, pre-tax. It also includes the Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem.

The modem is the problem - it disconnects frequently, requiring a reboot. Also, it's not 802.11ac compatible. I understand that the newer model is the Hitron CODA-4582 which does have 802.11ac. They won't agree to extend my current service without keeping the existing modem.

Any suggestions?
Contact Technical Support.
Sep 21, 2015
490 posts
169 upvotes
London, ON
eednapes wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 11:40 pm
No, what I intend to do is to get a call from win-back.
You're playing with fire cancelling a phoneline expecting Rogers to call you with a cheaper winback offer with it.

Better choice would probably be just porting it to a (much!) cheaper VOIP provider. I've had multiple phonelines with freephoneline.ca for several years and and no problems at all. I pay $0.00/month for free canadian long distance, unlimited local calling, caller id, call waiting, voice mail.
Jul 4, 2015
89 posts
13 upvotes
ON
cleacy1972 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 11:28 pm
From your bill, i'd probably suggest submitting a termination on the internet for October 7th (the end date of your billing cycle). That gives a reasonable reason for having picked that date, and if they ask you can just say you're trying to decide between other providers that offer much better prices (true!). With what you have, it might be difficult to submit a cancellation on everything since i've honestly no idea if the Italian channels are available from anyone else.

If you're ok with dropping to popular from premier, that also gives you something you can work with when speaking with Rogers.

You might find that you can get a better price by upgrading to 500u from 75 capped, even if you don't need it. Personally, I decreased my price $20/month by switching from a 12 month 500mb promotion to a 24 month gigabit promotion. Make sense? No. To the agent I was speaking with, he just 'upsold' me. Do I need the speed increase? Not at all. I'll take it though, and deal with it again in 2 years.

A reasonable price for 500u, popular + pvr + 2 terminals, home phone and $20 Luso bundle: Probably around $145+tax / $167

Thank you again for this. If the above is 145+tax=167, then maybe I start by leaving my internet as Ignite 75, and THEN seeing if there is a 500u promo for a cheaper price. In your situation you say you'll deal with it in two years, how do you guarantee that? Is there a contract between you and Rogers?

In regards to cancelling, should I just call and cancel? Or see what they offer, and if it's not good enough, then cancel. That might be more realistic since they've been calling me like crazy since I said I would have to get back to them regarding their offer above. And I could always say I don't care much about the Luso package, so maybe I put in an order to cancel TV and Internet?
Sep 21, 2015
490 posts
169 upvotes
London, ON
hotsnacks wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 12:38 pm
Thank you again for this. If the above is 145+tax=167, then maybe I start by leaving my internet as Ignite 75, and THEN seeing if there is a 500u promo for a cheaper price. In your situation you say you'll deal with it in two years, how do you guarantee that? Is there a contract between you and Rogers?
While I may actually be on contract, if nothing else I have a 24 month guaranteed discount with my pricing. There'd have to be a huge increase in the price before i'd be concerned again.
hotsnacks wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 12:38 pm
In regards to cancelling, should I just call and cancel? Or see what they offer, and if it's not good enough, then cancel. That might be more realistic since they've been calling me like crazy since I said I would have to get back to them regarding their offer above. And I could always say I don't care much about the Luso package, so maybe I put in an order to cancel TV and Internet?
Pretty much best pricing the last half year has been from just submitting a predated cancellation request, and then resubscribing with the winback offers. If doing that, make sure you pre-date that cancellation request several weeks/or a month to actually give them a bit of time to try winning you back. Just be careful if you're cancelling a phoneline that you want to keep the number. Also, keep in mind that cancellation of Rogers is also loss of Rogers email address (if you use it) : If you are using it, would recommend spending the time switching your email to something like gmail.
Jul 1, 2005
447 posts
24 upvotes
My contract is ending soon. Got a call with offer:

Ignite Gigabit - Unlimited data - free modem rental
Popular TV - 4K PVR
$115.99 - guaranteed discount for 2 years - no contract no commitment.

Is it good? I might just take it.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1186 posts
198 upvotes
Ontario
robteb wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 7:02 pm

They didn't call me, they sent an email:

There was also a reference number to give them when I called, tied directly to my account.
You are the bomb diggity. Gonna try this tomorrow.
Oct 20, 2010
433 posts
86 upvotes
avecfromage wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 6:45 pm
Trying to get a deal. Paying $338 and change for 100 mbps + VIP cable + home phone + SHM. I think every RFDer would cry at that.

Best that was offered was $233. I set up cancel for internet and TV only. Will I get a call back or no?
somebody might have replied to your question but here it goes.

I was paying 216 a month for:
gigabit internet, premier tv with 2 addons packages, 1 4k box and 1 hd box, home phone, and SMH.
A month ago negotiated, and brought it down to 196 by bringing down SMH down to 19.99 a month(by PM of bell offer.
Took it, but then 2 weeks later called back to renegotiate, and went down another 20ish to 174 by changing tv to popular.
A week later called, and set a cancellation date to 2 weeks from the date. got an email to call back a day later.
Called the number the same day but the number was invalid(???).
Called rogers and cancellation department, mention the email and was told to ignore since it was a scam....
Following day, called again the number(winback) and it rang and someone picked up.
Was offered the gigabit interneyt, premier tv, 4k pvr, hd box, home phone with call display, for 123 + tax. SMH stayed at 19.99 plus tax. so 143+tax total. so 162. In the end, $54 of savings. it was worth the couple calls i made.
You can achieve similar.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4453 posts
268 upvotes
Is the 4K PVR as good as the Bell Fibe TV receiver? I remember my old Nextbox 3.0 being horrendously slow...
Banned
Aug 31, 2018
34 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Lovable wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 5:59 pm
Is the 4K PVR as good as the Bell Fibe TV receiver? I remember my old Nextbox 3.0 being horrendously slow...
Both are 4K so yes.