Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1188 posts
412 upvotes
GTA
EugW wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:24 am
Did you ever get 50 Mbps up consistently? Do you get even 30 Mbps consistently?

I often get over 900 Mbps down but only about 15 Mbps up in near-peak periods on a 1000/30 Mbps Rogers connection.

However, it doesn't seem to make much difference for what I do 98% of the time. I'm curious though. How much upload does a MS Remote Desktop Connection or Citrix VPN need, if I'm the client? My understanding is that the client needs very little upload bandwidth, but way more download bandwidth. 25 Mbps Fibe would sometimes slow my VPN connection to a crawl if I had Netflix also running, but it hasn't been an issue on Fibe Gigabit or Rogers Gigabit. (Logons have been a bit slower in the last few days since I've gotten Rogers, but I think that's the host. The actual VPN performance once's logged in is fine.)

The only times upload speed makes a big difference is if I'm uploading batches of photos or other large files somewhere, but i don't do that often. Right now I'm not doing big cloud backups. Maybe if I go that route in the future, I'll have to go back to fibre.
No at first both download and upload where all over the place...
Now I get 30mbps consistently
Yeah, 30mbps is still "fast" and more then enough for most people...
I'm able to stream a 1080p web-dl to my self at work no problem

I know fiber will be better, but I'm still on the fence..
For $10 less a month I can get Bell Fiber + Alt Tv Premium?
Which is great since, I don't need to buy any receivers.. Already have devices..
Just can't find any solid info on quality...
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2189 posts
184 upvotes
man, I never gotten any win back calls, I left Rogers for Freedom in December because all a sudden I wasn't getting any LTE connections at work, tested other's carrier sim and all good signal. Rogers never call, then after boxing day I transfer both my wife and my number to Bell (Costco promo), Rogers never call my wife to win back also, we were both with Rogers for like 18 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1910 posts
1044 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:24 am
Did you ever get 50 Mbps up consistently? Do you get even 30 Mbps consistently?

I often get over 900 Mbps down but only about 15 Mbps up in near-peak periods on a 1000/30 Mbps Rogers connection.
Via win back I am supposedly receiving the same pkg as before, gigabit (1gbps dn and 50mbps up).

I was switched over a little after 5pm today and here are my speedtests before and after. I know there are many variables, but my upload is now slower. I'll have to try again another time.

Update: You can't count on the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing episode N with Rogers. PITA. My area has 50Mbps upload available on existing plans, but by resigning, I'm on a "new" plan now and am limited to 30Mbps upload.
Images
  • Speedtests Rogers 9Jan19.JPG
Dec 9, 2007
264 posts
9 upvotes
Looking to get in contact with a Rep for my dad, new customer for just internet and home phone, PM if you know one, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7761 posts
197 upvotes
FrugalFrites wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:30 pm
How do I get in contact with a rep to get a new customer deal?
Looking for just internet, (500U/Gig). Thanks!
asking for a friend..haven't really paid much attention to new customer comments....what's the going deal for new internet only?
Apr 5, 2010
10 posts
1 upvote
In typical Rogers fashion, I got offered a promo, I accepted, got my first bill, and it wasn't what I was offered. My two year deal is $5 more than I was told, and my two year deal, one part of it expires in six months, the other in a year, so it isn't all for the full two years. So I will have to call back again in six months and then in a year. The whole point of two years was to save myself the hassle of calling back.

I swear that in my 20 years dealing with Rogers, if I am supposed to get a new promo, with 100% certainty, my bill will not reflect what I was told, and I have to call back. I swear this is a deliberate tactic on their part, hoping people won't look closely. Unlucky for them, I am an accountant, so I look at all numbers. One day when I have nothing better to do, I will go back and look at my years of bills I have saved, and pull all of these discrepancies, and I will write a letter to the CRTC outlining this practice.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto
I posted in the Computers & Electronics forum but I figured I will post it here too.

I've had Rogers Gigabit for less than a week and today my Hitron CODA-4582U was unresponsive. All the appropriate lights were on as expected (none red). The icon that looks like a computer was flashing, but my understanding is it's supposed to be. I couldn't access the modem from the browser, and I had no internet access. It was like this when I woke up today, and it didn't change after many minutes of waiting and trying again.

So I just hard reset the modem and now all is fine.

I use the modem as the main router. WiFi is active, but is currently unused (since I have Apple Airports acting as WiFi access points). Has anyone seen behaviour like this? If so, is there a difference in stability in bridge mode vs router mode?

BTW, a nice side bonus of Digital TV with Home Phone in this type of Rogers bundle with Ignite Gigabit internet is that the Home Phone modem and TV support remained unaffected when the internet went down. One thing that irritated me on Bell Fibe FTTH is that whenever the fibre optic modem went down bringing down internet, both TV and Home Phone also went down. I understand that would be true for Ignite TV and Home Phone bundles too, which would suck.

Silver02TDI wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:15 am
In typical Rogers fashion, I got offered a promo, I accepted, got my first bill, and it wasn't what I was offered. My two year deal is $5 more than I was told, and my two year deal, one part of it expires in six months, the other in a year, so it isn't all for the full two years. So I will have to call back again in six months and then in a year. The whole point of two years was to save myself the hassle of calling back.

I swear that in my 20 years dealing with Rogers, if I am supposed to get a new promo, with 100% certainty, my bill will not reflect what I was told, and I have to call back. I swear this is a deliberate tactic on their part, hoping people won't look closely. Unlucky for them, I am an accountant, so I look at all numbers. One day when I have nothing better to do, I will go back and look at my years of bills I have saved, and pull all of these discrepancies, and I will write a letter to the CRTC outlining this practice.
Who did the signup for you? Just some random phone agent? Just wondering, cuz I find I get more errors that way.

Also, it's annoying we can't check the account billing details until after our first bill.
Dec 21, 2014
9 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:34 am
asking for a friend..haven't really paid much attention to new customer comments....what's the going deal for new internet only?
I was told $60 for 500u and $70 for gigabit. Not sure about the lower packages though.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto
How many people here actually notice the difference between 500 and 1000 Mbps for real world internet access? At that point it seems the main bottleneck are the internet itself and the website servers, and the home network hardware speed. A lot of people can't get 1000 Mbps at home anyway, since either they're on WiFi or else their routing hardware isn't quite up to snuff (assuming they're not directly connected to the modem). And even if they can do 1000 at home, 95% of the time, the servers out there in internet land won't send stuff to you anywhere near that fast.

I think I'd be happy with 300 or perhaps even 150. I'd get uncomfortable going too far below 100 though, since we now have two TVs with 4K streaming support, and lots of other devices too. That said, I'm on Rogers Gigabit with 940+ Mbps down. I'd rather have faster uploads though. 30 Mbps is OK, but 100 Mbps would be very noticeably better for the few times I do big uploads (especially since in my case sometimes I'm at 15-25 Mbps up). ie. 500/100 (with real world speeds of 450/75) would be a lot more attractive to me than 1000/30 (with real world speeds of 900/25).
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1910 posts
1044 upvotes
Silver02TDI wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:15 am

Did you get a "Interaction ID?" Rogers internal reference codes. Ask for one on every call with them. Name of the contact helps too.
Apr 20, 2015
293 posts
44 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Cancelled yesterday my Popular+Gigabit $100 a month promo from 2 years ago... Received a call back today and was offered gigabit for $39.99+tax a month, savings guaranteed for 1 year

number was 1 866 622 7578 and spoke with Becky

good luck
Jul 22, 2018
9 posts
Just called in to rogers as Bell came and gave me a better deal.

Extended my Gigabit Internet with Popular tv which i was paying $113 tax in for now $65.62 tax in a month for another year

Good luck
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto
AnthonyC77339 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:47 pm
Just called in to rogers as Bell came and gave me a better deal.

Extended my Gigabit Internet with Popular tv which i was paying $113 tax in for now $65.62 tax in a month for another year
That's a great deal. Where are you located, and are you in a house or a condo?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2650 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
So Rogers has changed up their promotions, I have a Rogers contact that can waive the installation and activation fees for new customers and offer a one time $100 credit. Send me a PM and I can provide you with their information.

Rogers Ignite TV
Ignite 150u + Popular TV + 1 Wireless 4K PVR - $149.99 (If you want Premier TV it's +$15 and if you want Select TV it's -$15)
Additional Wireless 4K PVR's are at $5 extra.

The above is not a promotional offer and will not expire after 12 or 24 months.

My understanding that the previous offers of Ignite 150u/500u for $35/$25 have expired and these are their current standalone offers (which are price guaranteed for 6 months):

Ignite 75u - $54.99
Ignite 150u for $64.99
Ignite 300u for $74.99

For customers in FTTH area (which are price guaranteed for 12 months):

Ignite 500u for $44.99
Ignite Gigabit for $49.99

For all other customers whether in FTTH area or not:

$99.99 (Price guaranteed for 24 months)
Popular TV with 1 PVR
Gigabit Internet
Home Phone Local Plan

Hope this helps!
Jul 7, 2007
74 posts
5 upvotes
MrPsv1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:14 pm
Cancelled yesterday my Popular+Gigabit $100 a month promo from 2 years ago... Received a call back today and was offered gigabit for $39.99+tax a month, savings guaranteed for 1 year

number was 1 866 622 7578 and spoke with Becky

good luck
Thanks for this. I put a cancellation notice 2 weeks ago for cable only and finally got shut off today without getting any win-back calls.
I called your number asking for any promos on my account and was given $49.99 for Popular TV with PVR for 1 year.
Since I still have the 24.99 500U internet promo for another few months, the rep mentioned a 29.99 offer for 500U that I would have to switch to later on.