Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Aug 21, 2008
136 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
nirajshah7 wrote: do you know if digital lite/basic package contains treehouse tv?
vkizzle wrote: Only digital plus and up has treehouse.
digital basic comes with treehouse channel, not too sure about digital lite.
Mar 2, 2010
6 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I'm moving to a new apartment in a couple of weeks and don't currently have any Rogers services under my name except for a corporate mobile plan. I originally had planned to get a DSL 25/10 plan through teksavvy since at this point I'm more interested in getting at least 10 Mbps upload than faster download. Unfortunately, the building I'm moving too only supports DSL 10/1 so I have to go with cable and Teksavvy cable doesn't seem that competitive right now.

I'll be on a 1 year lease and not sure what will happen a year from now so I don't want to sign any contracts, at least not for more than 1 year. Sorry if this has been covered to death but I can't bring myself to wade through 1000+ pages and didn't find much info in the last couple of pages.

Is it possible to get a better deal on the Ignite 100 service than advertized on their site? Is the first post in this thread up to date? Would I just call the number posted and ask for a better deal?

Thanks!
Apr 1, 2013
224 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
nirajshah7 wrote: Guys.. I need some advice.. so I had the new house promo of 6 months internet/cable tv and home phone free. it is expiring in 3 weeks time and I am looking to just keep internet and if possible cable tv. during free promo period I had 250 hybrid (unlimited), VIP Ultimate & Movies Package(2 hd terminals) and home phone.

My question was I would like to keep 250 plan and if possible get 1 terminal cable tv with basic package. how do I go about getting best deal? do I first call in to cancel and wait for callback or ask them for a deal upfront?

Thanks.
Call in and see what they'll offer you. If you don't like it, put in a cancellation. I think winback or someone else will call you with an offer.
Apr 1, 2013
224 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
joeyu88 wrote: digital basic comes with treehouse channel, not too sure about digital lite.
There is no lite package, only basic.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SenorDD wrote: There is no lite package, only basic.
There is a 25 channel digital lite package for $15, but it's highly unlikely it will have Treehouse.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1110 posts
157 upvotes
Brampton
Call in to negotiate cable promotions as they were coming to an end.

Was receiving 30% off Cable Services and $15 Credit towards Nextbox 3.0 Rent to Own

First rep offered to match 30% Off Cable and suggested a $15 discount on internet vs current $3 to my rate protected internet (W45). Informed rep that if i accepted his offer I would lose my rate protection. (very sneak and deceiving of Rogers) Rep confirmed I was correct and would lose my rate protection. So he could only offer 30% off cable with no additional hardware discounts. Requested quote to be applied to account.

Called back and spoke to a second rep who looked into the account and was able to keep existing discounts in place on cable and not adjust the rate protected internet.
End result do not settle and speak with another rep.

Very disappointed that since I've had Rogers adjust W45 promo they continue to contact me and suggest/offer the new Rogers Ignite Internet with huge increases.
All discounts were negotiated through retentions and no need to go winback method.
Nov 4, 2010
19 posts
7 upvotes
Cambridge
SenorDD wrote: There is no lite package, only basic.
AFAIK, I have digital lite and my aunt has basic. 2 different packages with 2 different price points and 2 different lists of included channels (just checked, treehouse is not included with lite).

I called in yesterday asking about getting ignite 250u, while cancelling my cable and hoping to get a discount that lasted longer than the 3 months listed (ideally $10 off to bring the 250 plan to the price of the 100). I started out with W45 (still priced at $48) and digital lite. Got offered $20 off but I had to keep the cable. Seemed odd that they'd give me a $20 discount to keep a $15 package, but none the less took the offer. Was told it wouldn't officially take effect until I exchanged my modem. Went to Rogers store and was told the rocket modem wasn't available, try calling between 5 and 6 today to see if the shipment came in. The modems did not come in, but was given the advanced modem in the interim (which should be the same other than a crappier wifi signal). Usage tracker shows unlimited, upload speed is around 20 like it should, but download won't go above 95. Not sure how that's going to get resolved, but thought I'd come post my experience so far as it may benefit others. Fortunately, at no point was I told I couldn't switch back to the W45 in case this new plan goes sideways.
Dec 26, 2011
13 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
my promotion deal is coming to an end march 30th.

i have internet tv and phone..... i get to keep this.....

Internet
-------
Hi-Speed Extreme Unlimited $ 82.99
Enhanced Home Gateway Rental $ 8.00
Cable TV
--------
Basic Cable $ 37.49
NextBox HD Terminal Rental $ 12.95
Digital Services Fee $ 2.99
Home Phone
-------------
9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee $ 0.22
Essentials Plan $ 35.50
Message Relay (TTY) $ 0.19

total $138 was paying $99.

what do you think?

thanks,

frank
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
franklin66 wrote: my promotion deal is coming to an end march 30th.

i have internet tv and phone..... i get to keep this.....

Internet
-------
Hi-Speed Extreme Unlimited $ 82.99
Enhanced Home Gateway Rental $ 8.00
Cable TV
--------
Basic Cable $ 37.49
NextBox HD Terminal Rental $ 12.95
Digital Services Fee $ 2.99
Home Phone
-------------
9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee $ 0.22
Essentials Plan $ 35.50
Message Relay (TTY) $ 0.19

total $138 was paying $99.

what do you think?

thanks,

frank
you can get 50% off the ignite plans and 30% and free HD pvr for cable packages. May be you can get the @20/30 (can't rmbr) basic cable, if you don't want the VIP or digital stuff. and Home Phone can go down to $10. Depends on how you negotiate... Just cancel on a future date (they can cancel immediately now, so just post date it for 2 weeks from now and give it a few business days and call the winback team.)

hope that helps.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1724 posts
92 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Agree with Vinnie1990 and think its not a good deal at all but that said...

[QUOTE]Enhanced Home Gateway Rental $ 8.00
Cable TV[/QUOTE]

....what is enhanced gateway rental cable TV?

( its very quiet the last week as it appears that most are getting the 30% +++ deals without having to actually cancel but just threatening to---in the past you had to cancel and wait for Winbak to call back with the good offer but i know in my case I got all I wanted and didnt have to cancel but just told them I was going to...you have to be prepared to do so if it comes to that but even if it does, it doesnt get cancelled right away. You have plenty of time for Winback to call you and offer you the good deals everyone else is getting )

Most of us get 30% off, a free PVR for a year and some even a second HD Rental box, normally costing $7.50 a year for free but not all get that one for free. I didnt but some did.
In any event, I suspect by the sounds of it you got that offer from the first person you spoke to or at least the one that did not know you were willing to cancel or didnt believe you.
Without knwoing more, cant say why you got that deal, not a very good one offered to you.
I no longer check into this forum. Email me directly IF you have my newest address.
I have 3 +, pages of 100% Ratings for various BNIB items + Heatware, for sale but focus on sales elsewhere.
found Here!
Jun 25, 2007
14 posts
What kind of option is Rogers offering if you are a current customer?

I currently have Hi-Speed Express Unlimited, TV-VIP, Home Phone w/LD, and two cell phones on another account.

I would like to upgrade to the 100u ignite. Any thoughts or ideas on what can be done?
Aug 30, 2013
92 posts
28 upvotes
GTA
Just accepted free Home Phone, TV, and Internet for 6 months.

I thought this was for new homes only. Anyone else got a call for this deal?
Aug 26, 2008
101 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Deep55 wrote: Just accepted free Home Phone, TV, and Internet for 6 months.

I thought this was for new homes only. Anyone else got a call for this deal?
wow!!!

Thats fantastic.

How did you get this deal?
Aug 30, 2013
92 posts
28 upvotes
GTA
Got a phone call from a Rogers 1-800 number. The rep said its only available in certain areas where Ignite is launching.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
So I'm paying $40 with taxes for basic cable (my only service with Rogers). I have 3 lines so they are charging me for more than one line $6 included in that $40. This is a charge they only do for basic cable customers. Can I do better than this price for basic cable?

Basic lite is $15? Plus tax?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3584 posts
262 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
Just wondering, for Steve deals, is it only for GTA and surrounding area or anyone from Canada can subscribe?
Oct 14, 2015
431 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto
I called into rogers' cancellation department and they were able to confirm that they offer the digital LITE about $16/mo. They read me the channels and it SEEMS as though it's basically digital basic (2-28 in Toronto) - can anyone who HAS DIGITAL LITE confirm whether it is true? Does it have Channel 27 -W network, TSN- 22?, etc? They also confirmed that you CAN add other channels to this, IE BBC Canada for $2.79, but only some and some packages. Also includes a basic box for free. SO For roughly $25 less per month I can have basically the same channels as digital basic- right?
Dec 26, 2011
13 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
thanks vinnie, when i said i wanted to cancel they said once you cancel it's hard to reverse.

they offered me my package for $120 instead of the $138 and i can cancel at anytime so i took that.

i thought winback has to call you instead of you calling them and is it true that it is hard to reverse the cancel once the order is in?

sutherlandchick....".Enhanced Home Gateway Rental $ 8.00 Cable TV "

i wrote it wrong the enchaned home gateway rental is the modem nothing to do with the cable tv.

most likely i'll do the $120 for 2 months then put in a cancel and go the winback route but just want to find out what people here said first.

frank
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
franklin66 wrote: thanks vinnie, when i said i wanted to cancel they said once you cancel it's hard to reverse.

they offered me my package for $120 instead of the $138 and i can cancel at anytime so i took that.

i thought winback has to call you instead of you calling them and is it true that it is hard to reverse the cancel once the order is in?
Nope, that's a lie. Any service cancellation orders can be uncancelled very easily.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16761 posts
8093 upvotes
Ok I'm here to share some information about Rogers and I'm hoping that it can help some of you out. We have had Rogers cable TV, internet, and home phone for the past 3 years. We recently found out that Rogers had been overbilling us by $60/month for the past year. We should have checked our bills but we didn't and by the time we did it was too late. I was so upset about it that I wanted to cancel as much of their services as I could. I called in twice and talked to retentions. The first agent gave me all 3 services for ~$135 taxes in, no contract, so I took it just so I could buy some time to find something better. We never used our home phone and we only had it to get a promotion when we first signed up. Every time I tried to cancel my home phone they lied to me, saying that I could only get my 30% retentions discount if I kept all 3 services with them. Finally I gave up and signed up for Primus internet. They installed it last night and it works perfectly, so I called Rogers again today to cancel my internet and home phone. At that point they put me on with retentions again, and this time they offered me all 3 services for $116 taxes in! This is a good deal. They then lied to me again and said that I would have to pay full price on my cable TV if I canceled the phone and the internet. They said TV would cost $74/month (digital basic with a PVR). I had a feeling that they were lying, and sure enough, when I called back a final time to cancel the phone and the internet, she offered me a $16 "lite" TV package, but the even better deal for me that she gave me was $41 taxes in for digital basic with a free PVR. The promo is valid for 1 year.

I just wanted to let you guys know that these discounts that they apply don't depend on you having all 3 services. They seem to offer the best rates when you actually go ahead and sign up with a competitor.

I think the deal she gave me was 30% off cable TV for one year with a free PVR.

Essentially now I'm paying $87/month for cable TV and unlimited internet through Primus. I'm very happy with that and I'm saving a ton of money over what I was paying before! :)

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 3 guests)

G0AT, turbodiesel, greygables