Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
100Pacer wrote: I just parlayed a $0.15+HST bill error into a $0.15+HST credit plus a goodwill credit of ~$265 to wipe the entire month's bill clean.

Mind you, there's a whole back story but that's besides the point.
You chime in to say you complained about a $0.15 price error, walked away with a $265 goodwill credit (which is unheard of), and tell us the "back story is besides the point"?

No. The backstory ought to be your WHOLE POST! ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
onlineharvest wrote: You chime in to say you complained about a $0.15 price error, walked away with a $265 goodwill credit (which is unheard of), and tell us the "back story is besides the point"?

No. The backstory ought to be your WHOLE POST! ;)
It's not really that interesting. I can share the details, but essentially the name of the game is: escalation. If the issue is significant, then escalation to the office of the president.

I called in at the beginning of May to place a cancellation notice for home services on the account. Subsequently over the next 2-3 days I kept phoning in and dealing with different departments each time (retentions, winback, customer service) and at some point along the way an agent decided to randomly (and without my consent) remove the cancellation notice. The next time I phoned winback I was told they couldn't speak to me without a cancellation notice, so I figured out what must have happened. Hung up, phoned customer service and calmly explained the situation and immediately asked to escalate, a supervisor heard the story and asked if she could help but I politely turned her down and explained it's my intention to take the issue right to the office of the president. An agent from the office of the president got in touch with me and after hearing my story offered a $150 goodwill credit. I then worked with that same agent from the office of the president on new pricing for my home services.

I called in at the beginning of July because of a $2.35+HST overcharge on the home phone once the new pricing came into effect. As it wasn't what I had agreed to with the agent from the office of the president (and because I didn't expect someone in his position to make such a sloppy error) I escalated the issue right back to the office of the president. An agent from the office of the president got in touch with me and after hearing my story offered a $2.35+ HST X 12 months credit plus a $200 goodwill credit.

I called in at the beginning of August because of the $0.15+HST overcharge on the home phone (the 1st agent I dealt with in May from the office of the president had also fumbled up the long distance plan he added onto my account which, again, I considered sloppy for someone in his position) but this time I reached out directly to the same agent from the office of the president I dealt with in July. No new case had been created, we simply had great rapport and the agent was more than happy to once again help me out. The $0.15+HST overcharge was credited and a $10 credit for my trouble was offered; however, given all the issues documented above in addition to multiple instances over the last couple of years (where I typically accepted the general credit + $10 goodwill credit) I had made it clear enough was enough and that I wouldn't settle for just a $10 goodwill credit this time given the previous significant goodwill credits. I heard back the next day and as I said the billing error + remainder of the invoice balance was wiped clear.

A little over $600 in goodwill credits over the last 90 days. I didn't con or cheat anyone at Rogers, I simply stated my case to the highest authority I could reach.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
100Pacer wrote: It's not really that interesting. I can share the details, but essentially the name of the game is: escalation. If the issue is significant, then escalation to the office of the president.

I called in at the beginning of May to place a cancellation notice for home services on the account. Subsequently over the next 2-3 days I kept phoning in and dealing with different departments each time (retentions, winback, customer service) and at some point along the way an agent decided to randomly (and without my consent) remove the cancellation notice. The next time I phoned winback I was told they couldn't speak to me without a cancellation notice, so I figured out what must have happened. Hung up, phoned customer service and calmly explained the situation and immediately asked to escalate, a supervisor heard the story and asked if she could help but I politely turned her down and explained it's my intention to take the issue right to the office of the president. An agent from the office of the president got in touch with me and after hearing my story offered a $150 goodwill credit. I then worked with that same agent from the office of the president on new pricing for my home services.

I called in at the beginning of July because of a $2.35+HST overcharge on the home phone once the new pricing came into effect. As it wasn't what I had agreed to with the agent from the office of the president (and because I didn't expect someone in his position to make such a sloppy error) I escalated the issue right back to the office of the president. An agent from the office of the president got in touch with me and after hearing my story offered a $2.35+ HST X 12 months credit plus a $200 goodwill credit.

I called in at the beginning of August because of the $0.15+HST overcharge on the home phone (the 1st agent I dealt with in May from the office of the president had also fumbled up the long distance plan he added onto my account which, again, I considered sloppy for someone in his position) but this time I reached out directly to the same agent from the office of the president I dealt with in July. No new case had been created, we simply had great rapport and the agent was more than happy to once again help me out. The $0.15+HST overcharge was credited and a $10 credit for my trouble was offered; however, given all the issues documented above in addition to multiple instances over the last couple of years (where I typically accepted the general credit + $10 goodwill credit) I had made it clear enough was enough and that I wouldn't settle for just a $10 goodwill credit this time given the previous significant goodwill credits. I heard back the next day and as I said the billing error + remainder of the invoice balance was wiped clear.

A little over $600 in goodwill credits over the last 90 days. I didn't con or cheat anyone at Rogers, I simply stated my case to the highest authority I could reach.
Thanks for sharing. You should scrapbook this for your memories. "Remember that time we received over $600 in goodwill credits from Rogers"...
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1114 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote: It's not really that interesting. I can share the details, but essentially the name of the game is: escalation. If the issue is significant, then escalation to the office of the president.

Wow. . . how did you get to the office of the president? The guy I was talking to in retentions yesterday wouldn't offer me anything more and pretty much told me too bad and hung up (in nicer terms but that's pretty much what happened). The guy I talked to today offered me a $50/credit on top of that and same thing happened. I did end up accepting this last offer though afterwards. And previously when I've had issues the CSR just dealt with it. I have never gotten a "goodwill credit" but I have had them credit me the extra I've been charged.

Is the order CSR -> supervisor -> office of the president? And if you ask they'll just transfer you no problem?
Jun 12, 2015
801 posts
371 upvotes
Mississauga
TigerLilly wrote: Wow. . . how did you get to the office of the president? The guy I was talking to in retentions yesterday wouldn't offer me anything more and pretty much told me too bad and hung up (in nicer terms but that's pretty much what happened). The guy I talked to today offered me a $50/credit on top of that and same thing happened. I did end up accepting this last offer though afterwards. And previously when I've had issues the CSR just dealt with it. I have never gotten a "goodwill credit" but I have had them credit me the extra I've been charged.

Is the order CSR -> supervisor -> office of the president? And if you ask they'll just transfer you no problem?
They're not supposed to hang up on you unless your done. If he just hung up on you without reason you should escalate. Complain get his ID number and they should compensate. A friend of mine experience that called back and got 50% off for 6 months on his home services.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
onlineharvest wrote: There is no change in how you reach retentions.
Call the regular Rogers number and select cancel services.

The phone number you may be referring to is the winback number, a dept that is no longer in operation.
I think I read winback got retention deals after retention was done with it.

If you call to cancel now and don't get a good deal with retention, does that mean that's it?

Before it was a bluff to speak with winback and get a better deal than retention. So now without winback is there no more calling to cancel and wait for winback to call? Just gotta take retention deal?

Btw do you know why winback is no more?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2002
2552 posts
403 upvotes
Durham Region
Just a heads up, I went in store for this and spoke with a nice rep. New customer. Managed to get the following:

250/20 Ignite service with free modem rental
Unlimited Cap
$69.99+taxes/month on a 12 month contract (+$14.99+taxes activation fee)
$50.00 credit applied to 3rd bill

I was pretty happy with this. I'm not a student or anything, so this is for regular new customer folk. I just hope I can get good speeds, and not have to fight them to actually get the 250/20 speeds.
Sep 19, 2010
568 posts
89 upvotes
Unionville, ON.
ATLien69 wrote: Just a heads up, I went in store for this and spoke with a nice rep. New customer. Managed to get the following:

250/20 Ignite service with free modem rental
Unlimited Cap
$69.99+taxes/month on a 12 month contract (+$14.99+taxes activation fee)
$50.00 credit applied to 3rd bill.
Also, right now for $54.95/month plus tax you can get 1 Gigabit (1000 Mbps) download / 100 Mbps upload, unlimited cap, with powerful modem/router from bell fibe. Free installation. No contract. (must live in an area that has fibre optic to the home)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2002
2552 posts
403 upvotes
Durham Region
Great deal! I really wanted Bell Fibe, and it's new to our area, but the best we could get is only 25 Down/10 Up :( Rogers is the only choice for now.
montakute wrote: Also, right now for $54.95/month plus tax you can get 1 Gigabit (1000 Mbps) download / 100 Mbps upload, unlimited cap, with powerful modem/router from bell fibe. Free installation. No contract. (must live in an area that has fibre optic to the home)
Jun 8, 2007
945 posts
286 upvotes
Oshawa
Have not dealt with Rogers in a number of years... Currently have Start.ca 60/10 for $90 taxes in.

Looking like some reasonable prices on the 100u from rogers. Pondering grabbing it along with some basic TV packages (no TV other then a couple OTA channels in the house right now). No need for phone and no cell phones right now.

Whats the best approach to get a decent deal on tv and 100u? Call Steve, visit store, call rogers?

Thoughts are appreciated!

Mike
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
Got an offer today to switch from the W45 to the Internet 30 in order to save $10 a month from my current rate. It would be "price protected" for 2 years, but no contract. If I keep W45, my overall bill goes up $5 a month with their current offer on my cable (digital plus, 3.0, etc.)

Just wanted to get peoples take on switching from the W45? I'm hesitant in case prices eventually go up. Speed appears less in Internet 30, and the bandwidth is half (100gb vs 200gb). Most i've used is 160GB, but in the last 6 months i've never used more than 75.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
hvc wrote: Got an offer today to switch from the W45 to the Internet 30 in order to save $10 a month from my current rate. It would be "price protected" for 2 years, but no contract. If I keep W45, my overall bill goes up $5 a month with their current offer on my cable (digital plus, 3.0, etc.)

Just wanted to get peoples take on switching from the W45? I'm hesitant in case prices eventually go up. Speed appears less in Internet 30, and the bandwidth is half (100gb vs 200gb). Most i've used is 160GB, but in the last 6 months i've never used more than 75.
IMO, don't switch. People these days who are jumping ship from the 8 year promos (W45/W35) are generally moving to FASTER speeds (Ignite 100 or 250) and/or the addition of unlimited bandwidth because of higher usage (both Ignite 100 and 250 are unlimited).

Of course that plan would be cheaper, it is slower AND has less bandwidth!
Prices WILL go up every year until your 8 year promo expires (give or take 2022/2023) - that's a LONG time to have consistent pricing with your W45 promo.
At your current usage, you should be covered with 200GB for a while (keep in mind, if you start streaming at all, you will likely blow through this).

If you switch to Internet 30, you are teetering near the upper limit of your bandwidth usage already. And FYI, the max cap Rogers can charge for overage was raised to $150/m from $100.
And overage fees are VERY EXPENSIVE, and 1 bad month could essentially wipe any "savings" from getting an internet plan with 100 less GB.

My $0.02
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: IMO, don't switch. People these days who are jumping ship from the 8 year promos (W45/W35) are generally moving to FASTER speeds (Ignite 100 or 250) and/or the addition of unlimited bandwidth because of higher usage (both Ignite 100 and 250 are unlimited).

Of course that plan would be cheaper, it is slower AND has less bandwidth!
Prices WILL go up every year until your 8 year promo expires (give or take 2022/2023) - that's a LONG time to have consistent pricing with your W45 promo.
At your current usage, you should be covered with 200GB for a while (keep in mind, if you start streaming at all, you will likely blow through this).

If you switch to Internet 30, you are teetering near the upper limit of your bandwidth usage already. And FYI, the max cap Rogers can charge for overage was raised to $150/m from $100.
And overage fees are VERY EXPENSIVE, and 1 bad month could essentially wipe any "savings" from getting an internet plan with 100 less GB.

My $0.02
Agreed, those were my thoughts exactly, but wanted to check in to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Cheers.

edit: Would it be worth checking to see if I can get ignite 100 for the same price (if ignite 30 is $10 cheaper, maybe ignore 100 is the same-ish price). I know I don't have significant usage, but if I can get ignite 100/Digital+ &NB3.0 for the same price as W45/Digital+ & NB3.0, is that something to consider? My only concern is prices increasing, like the past $5 increases that didn't affect W45, and the price of my bill going up uncontrollably.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
hvc wrote: Agreed, those were my thoughts exactly, but wanted to check in to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Cheers.

edit: Would it be worth checking to see if I can get ignite 100 for the same price (if ignite 30 is $10 cheaper, maybe ignore 100 is the same-ish price). I know I don't have significant usage, but if I can get ignite 100/Digital+ &NB3.0 for the same price as W45/Digital+ & NB3.0, is that something to consider? My only concern is prices increasing, like the past $5 increases that didn't affect W45, and the price of my bill going up uncontrollably.
Haven't tracked in the last couple weeks, but I believe the standard discount off ignite packages right now is $20 off list price, 2 year agreement (internet part only). Pricing fixed for the 2 years. Should get NB3.0PVR free also (not sure if you're paying now).

At that price, 100u would be $65/m. Not worth it I you don't even go above 100gb

Also keep in mind these reps will try ANYTHING to get you out of the 8 year promo. Lol
This isn't these best time to drop W45 right now (50% off packages was a better time).
Keep your ear to the ground, especially if your usage jumps as a result of streaming, etc
Nov 11, 2010
415 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
onlineharvest wrote: Haven't tracked in the last couple weeks, but I believe the standard discount off ignite packages right now is $20 off list price, 2 year agreement (internet part only). Pricing fixed for the 2 years. Should get NB3.0PVR free also (not sure if you're paying now).

At that price, 100u would be $65/m. Not worth it I you don't even go above 100gb

Also keep in mind these reps will try ANYTHING to get you out of the 8 year promo. Lol
This isn't these best time to drop W45 right now (50% off packages was a better time).
Keep your ear to the ground, especially if your usage jumps as a result of streaming, etc
Just have Rogers VIP cable with free Netbox. Currently on 30% off promo which expires on Sep 3. Received my new bill in which they had charged me the full price as well as $15 for the netbox. Called up billing and was told that they can only offer a new promo when the current one expires on Sep 3. A couple of questions -

1) Is retentions still offering the 30% off cable?
2) Should I wait until Sep 3 or should select cancellation and try to get retentions?

Thanks in advance
Sep 19, 2010
568 posts
89 upvotes
Unionville, ON.
freakoutguy wrote: Just have Rogers VIP cable with free Netbox. Currently on 30% off promo which expires on Sep 3. Received my new bill in which they had charged me the full price as well as $15 for the netbox. Called up billing and was told that they can only offer a new promo when the current one expires on Sep 3. A couple of questions -

2) Should I wait until Sep 3 or should select cancellation and try to get retentions?

Thanks in advance
As of today, it's might be best to get the Bell Fibe TV deal for $23.95/mo with (a much better) PVR and simply cancel your rogers TV service on Sept 3. That will also give you negotiating leverage and a back-up plan when you cancel rogers.

bell-internet-tv-home-phone-new-custome ... 1779871/7/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
freakoutguy wrote: Just have Rogers VIP cable with free Netbox. Currently on 30% off promo which expires on Sep 3. Received my new bill in which they had charged me the full price as well as $15 for the netbox. Called up billing and was told that they can only offer a new promo when the current one expires on Sep 3. A couple of questions -

Thanks in advance
Well, retentions is offering $25 off TV.
Should you get that on the Rogers VIP package ($77), it works out to roughly 32% off
And it would be set pricing for 2 years, 2nd year effectively being even greater that 32% with the annual increase.

However, I'm not sure if this is only available to those who also get internet.
Worth a try.
Aug 24, 2015
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi everyone. Just relocated to Toronto from Australia, and am planning on signing up with Rogers for internet/tv/home phone.
I've got a family of 5...3 kids all over 16.
Looking at getting the VIP tv (or vip ultimate if price is right), 250 ignite and home phone. The only thing we are willing to budge on is the TV, but has to be at least the VIP (and yes we do want that many channels!).

Wondering what the current going rate would be through a CSR for this kind of bundle? Through the website it gives me $185 for 3 months then $233 there after. Not doing that.
We would need at least 1 PVR, and probably 3 or more HD boxes (have 5 TV's in the house).

Would like to see if I could negotiate a free PVR and maybe an HD box...does anyone know if this is common to get?

Ultimately what I'm asking is - for what we want - what should we expect to pay after negotiating a deal with a CSR? And what would constitute a good deal in our case?
I have been reading through quite a few pages of this thread, and haven't been able to gauge a lot.

I am not interested in hearing alternatives...we have chosen Rogers after much research and asking around. It's really just a matter of what kind of deal we could grab!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
ChelseaJ197622 wrote: Hi everyone. Just relocated to Toronto from Australia, and am planning on signing up with Rogers for internet/tv/home phone.
I've got a family of 5...3 kids all over 16.
Looking at getting the VIP tv (or vip ultimate if price is right), 250 ignite and home phone. The only thing we are willing to budge on is the TV, but has to be at least the VIP (and yes we do want that many channels!).

Wondering what the current going rate would be through a CSR for this kind of bundle? Through the website it gives me $185 for 3 months then $233 there after. Not doing that.
We would need at least 1 PVR, and probably 3 or more HD boxes (have 5 TV's in the house).

Would like to see if I could negotiate a free PVR and maybe an HD box...does anyone know if this is common to get?

Ultimately what I'm asking is - for what we want - what should we expect to pay after negotiating a deal with a CSR? And what would constitute a good deal in our case?
I have been reading through quite a few pages of this thread, and haven't been able to gauge a lot.

I am not interested in hearing alternatives...we have chosen Rogers after much research and asking around. It's really just a matter of what kind of deal we could grab!
Free PVR/HD Box is definitely common, whether multiple are credited, or you get discounts on the other boxes is dependent. I only have one box, but have some friends with a NB 3.0 and HD Box credited.

As a new customer, it's unlikely you can negotiate any deal (other than what's on the website) with a CSR. Your best bet at this point is to do the 3 month for $185, and then cancel before your 3 month expires (e.g. on month 2) and then attempt to negotiate with retentions. Your other option is to call Steve (see 1st post of the thread for his number) to see what he has to offer new customers. I don't think he has deals on the Ignite 250/VIP, but worth a shot to see what the offers are.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
1660 posts
1945 upvotes
hvc wrote: Free PVR/HD Box is definitely common, whether multiple are credited, or you get discounts on the other boxes is dependent. I only have one box, but have some friends with a NB 3.0 and HD Box credited.

As a new customer, it's unlikely you can negotiate any deal (other than what's on the website) with a CSR. Your best bet at this point is to do the 3 month for $185, and then cancel before your 3 month expires (e.g. on month 2) and then attempt to negotiate with retentions. Your other option is to call Steve (see 1st post of the thread for his number) to see what he has to offer new customers. I don't think he has deals on the Ignite 250/VIP, but worth a shot to see what the offers are.
I started Rogers from this very RFD thread, a few years ago, recommending Steve, and like some of us but not all, his Credits never happened.

Just be informed that after he sets you up, he may or may not call you back when you are hunting him for those credits and then later denying those credits.

He had the nerve to say to me that he never spoke to me to set up the accounts.

I had to go through customer service and relations for months, escalating for my credits!

It took over 8 months to resolve, and some one at Rogers had to listen through all their recorded phone calls that were made when I called in.

They finally found the conversations that I was promised the credits and I finally got them applied to my account, almost a year after Steve setting up my account.

Just a warning from my experiences.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)