Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Apr 8, 2011
235 posts
51 upvotes
Lanpirate1 wrote: Old deal, $132 taxes in for VIP, one HD PVR, one HD box, 100U
New deal, Premier TV, same hardware, Gigabit unlimited for one year for $115.18
Did you get this through regular phone agent? FB chat? Or other? TIA.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2323 posts
335 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
YorkU wrote: Wow, since when have they removed 500u from the list?! It's 300u and Gig only now...Smiling Face With Horns
https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet

bell ftth offers 150/500/1g/1.5g

Looks like rogers have given up competing on speed and just chase mid-range, becoming the AMD of the provider world.

BTW got offered $88 for popular+300u (one month free) 12mnths (including $6 april increase) so basically 50 cents more per month than my old $75 offer for 500u+ popular (considering 500u is no longer available and lags like crap anyway).
For some reason, Bell shows me only getting speed packages of 5mbps LOL. I'm like downtown Kitchener :facepalm:
Feb 18, 2014
360 posts
189 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: My bill says that it's a $3 increase for cable TV and $3 increase for internet, both as of April 2019. My other Rogers (new customer) account saw the internet increase by $6 back in April 2018.

I'm currently on a retentions deal which is expiring in a week. I called in to Rogers today. The rep said that she can't see any promos for my account until the last day of my current agreement. Anyone else get told this? Now I have to waste another 20 minutes on hold when I call back next week.
That's BS.
They should be able to offer you something even if it's regular price. If this is the case just tell them thats too much and you would like to speak to someone to discontinue your service. Tell them if I wait for the last minute and the price doubles it's going to be difficult for me to pay the increase. They should offer you something, if not, just cancel as of the day your promo expires.
Dec 25, 2012
699 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
I've been on a promotion paying $56.50 for popular tv and $28 for ignite 500 internet. Promotions are up...I was offered $169 with popular tv and ignite 300

Anyone able to do better? That's a 50 increase and they are calling it a deal.. if I say cancel do they still have that win back dept?
JS
Dec 25, 2012
699 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
YorkU wrote: Wow, since when have they removed 500u from the list?! It's 300u and Gig only now...Smiling Face With Horns
https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet

bell ftth offers 150/500/1g/1.5g

Looks like rogers have given up competing on speed and just chase mid-range, becoming the AMD of the provider world.

BTW got offered $88 for popular+300u (one month free) 12mnths (including $6 april increase) so basically 50 cents more per month than my old $75 offer for 500u+ popular (considering 500u is no longer available and lags like crap anyway).
Are u a new customer?
JS
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4190 posts
752 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: I've been on a promotion paying $56.50 for popular tv and $28 for ignite 500 internet. Promotions are up...I was offered $169 with popular tv and ignite 300
Anyone able to do better? That's a 50 increase and they are calling it a deal.. if I say cancel do they still have that win back dept?
You have to be willing to actually cancel. Rogers is willing to play chicken because they're betting that customers will blink first. Rogers offering you $169 is BS. The full retail price of Popular TV + Ignite 300 is $175. Are you willing to walk away for real?

Rogers is BSing me as well. My non-discounted price for Ignite 150 is $111 while the current retail price is $85! It's my retentions TV + internet bundle discount being $73 off which is the only way for my savings. Until I call in next week to cancel.
Dec 25, 2012
699 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
Yea I'm willing to cancel and go to bell....I just hate the channel #'s ther I'm used to being changed lol
JS
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3796 posts
2369 upvotes
Toronto and London
DealsFreak wrote: Why are you all inquiring about cable ? Its a thing of past now. Iptv has every channel you can think of. I have been using it for a year and paying only 10$ a mnth. Tooons of movies, hbo, sports channel, everything. Why not switch to that and use rogers for internet only ?
Ignite tv, fibe tv etc are also IPTV.
Jul 14, 2003
34 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hello, question about cancelling a cancellation.for internet only service.

Let's say I have a promotion (i.e 500U $25/month) which was a 1 year agreement that will run until June 1st 2019. If today I call Roger's to put a future dated cancellation for April 1st 2019, then in a week I call back and tell Roger's I want to cancel the cancellation. Is Roger's suppose (legally or morally) to reinstate my existing promotion?

I spoke with few Roger's rep and they insist that if the promotion code (i.e 500U $25/month) is no longer available (call bs on that too) then they can not re-instate the existing promotion and I would have to choose a new internet only promotion if I were to cancel the cancellation.
Feb 18, 2014
360 posts
189 upvotes
P0k3dic| wrote: Hello, question about cancelling a cancellation.for internet only service.

Let's say I have a promotion (i.e 500U $25/month) which was a 1 year agreement that will run until June 1st 2019. If today I call Roger's to put a future dated cancellation for April 1st 2019, then in a week I call back and tell Roger's I want to cancel the cancellation. Is Roger's suppose (legally or morally) to reinstate my existing promotion?

I spoke with few Roger's rep and they insist that if the promotion code (i.e 500U $25/month) is no longer available (call bs on that too) then they can not re-instate the existing promotion and I would have to choose a new internet only promotion if I were to cancel the cancellation.
Once you cancel, you can't go back to that promo if it's not in their system, not sure why you would cancel if you still have that price for another 2 plus months.
If your not going to be using the internet for a few months (your going away somewhere) you can put it on hold for up to 6 months one time a year.
Oct 21, 2013
204 posts
78 upvotes
waterloo, on
Correct. i dont understand why people are paying almost 50 60$ a month on cable for few channels when u can get much much more for fraction of the price.
Royal LePage Realtor
Serving Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Elmira/Guelph and surrounding cities
Feb 22, 2009
567 posts
220 upvotes
Ottawa
bobby621 wrote: Your correct but you can't compare (Ignite/fibe tv) to android box IPTV, the cost and channels you receive. For $15 you get atleast 2000 channels with all sports, movies, events, etc. all you need is internet and a cheap android box. You can bring it anywhere you got that has internet,use it on your phone, ipad, etc.
You're right, you can't compare. Android box IPTV isn't legal or as reliable (due to no dedicated end-to-end network from source to your home). Some ppl don't want, or have the knowledge, to tinker with Kodi/Android boxes and want reliable (legal) TV service to their home. Others are willing to skirt the legal methods to save money. Fairly certain most ppl don't go out on a public forum recommending everyone to pirate s/w instead of paying for it; recommending Android boxes over cable IPTV because it's cheaper is the same thing.
Jul 14, 2003
34 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
bobby621 wrote: Once you cancel, you can't go back to that promo if it's not in their system, not sure why you would cancel if you still have that price for another 2 plus months.
If your not going to be using the internet for a few months (your going away somewhere) you can put it on hold for up to 6 months one time a year.
I would agree with you if the service was actually cancelled, however i think it's different given that it's a pending cancellation and then I cancel the cancellation. Would like to hear more people's thoughts or even experience with this.
Feb 18, 2014
360 posts
189 upvotes
stevewk wrote: You don't have to go on and on. It's absolutely 100% not legal. The providers you're paying $15 to haven't paid for the licenses to broadcast all that content you're enjoying. They're rebroadcasting it from the real providers who do and you're paying them for that illegally rebroadcasted content. Has nothing to do with whether the game is on locally.

I'm familiar with the way it works.

Licensing to broadcast is how the content creators/sports leagues are paid for their work including YouTube paying for license to broadcast, or a major TV network deciding to post it online on their website after it airs. They've paid for the license to broadcast it as such. If everyone signed up for $15 grey market streaming, there would be no revenue to drive content creation or air professional sports (besides local stadium spectators). It's not illegal to own an Android box, it's illegal to stream illegally licensed content.

Since when does youtube pay a license to broadcast fee? The uploader is responsible for that, before posting anything they have to agree to the TOS.

You can of course do as you please but don't bother trying to convince yourself or others that it's legit.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, your the only person who's got his shorts in a uproar.

Now lets get back on topic.
Office Of The President offered me:
Popular with PVR included
2 international channels worth 10.99
Gigabyte
Basic Homephone
$128 tax in

prior to me getting this offer

The Managers Office offered me:
Popular with PVR included
2 international channels worth 10.99
Ignite 500
Basic Homephone
$124 tax in (I don't remember if this included the April price increase)

prior to this I was paying 112 tax in for the Managers offer.
I wonder if I should contact the Office Of The Ombudsman??

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

cheetah33