Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 29, 2002
1751 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Any good bundles where one can get hbo+crave
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 29, 2002
1751 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote: Any good bundles where one can get hbo+crave
just called and got hbo+crave added for free for 1 month. doesn't auto renew either so don't need to worry about cancelling.
Member
Mar 16, 2007
345 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough
Dough wrote: Welp, I just called 1-888-Rogers1 and cancelled. I did not get transferred past the initial person I spoke to. I was told I should have called in the 3 months leading up to deal expiry and would have been able to extend my previous offer for 12 months (is this possible?). I was offered a promotion, but it was still higher than I wanted to pay.

Had:
-Ignite 150u
-Popular cable (no rental equipment, we own a box)
Total was 124 taxes in. Deal had expired and this months bill had gone up to $185.

Was offered:
-Ignite 150u
-Popular cable (no rental equipment, we own a box)
Total 138 taxes in.

I elected to cancel at the end of this billing cycle. This gives me 2-3 weeks to get a comeback offer from Rogers (does this happen?), or setup new services. I am in Scarborough and Bell has upgraded their lines in the last 18 months, hoping I can benefit by switching if it comes to it.
Update, got a banner at the top of web pages on a few computers in the house saying the internet would be cancelled and to call in.
Also got an email urging us to call back in. I did, was instantly offered the package below and accepted.
-Ignite 300u
-Popular cable (no rental equipment, we own a box)
-Crave/HBO 1yr
99.xx taxes in.
Member
Jan 22, 2009
361 posts
34 upvotes
Guys i don't watch tv and would like to cancel my
cable. If I cancel, will they just raise the cost
of my internet and home phone?
Does it generally make sense to keep cable in order
to not get ripped off on other services?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12881 posts
4572 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tokinup wrote: Guys i don't watch tv and would like to cancel my
cable. If I cancel, will they just raise the cost
of my internet and home phone?
Does it generally make sense to keep cable in order
to not get ripped off on other services?
It depends if you have a bundled discount. If you do, then cancelling one service might remove the discount for the other services.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 23, 2008
5334 posts
1171 upvotes
Milton
My bell TV/Internet package is ending next month, what is the current new customer promos/deals for TV/Internet or Internet-Only ?

Edit: Called rogers and here's the 'best offer' they can provide me for my household

Internet Only
Ignite 150 for 12 months
Monthly $54.99 + tax (including $30 Credit)
Plus $29.95 for the activation fee and $49.99 + tax for tech installation

..quick pass on that :facepalm:
Member
May 19, 2013
382 posts
4472 upvotes
Vaughan
My old promo for internet+tv is ending soon so I called in to see what they had to offer. After some pushing for just internet, I was offered:

$64.99 for gigabit
$59.99 for 500u
$54.99 for 300u

Asked them to set up my cancellation date and later on I got the email saying to call in and talk to a specialist to try and work things out. They offered even worse than what the regular CSRs did when I originally called to cancel. Are any of the above deals worth it or should I just stay steady on the cancellation and wait for a win back call?

Honestly tired of dealing with this Rogers BS and considering just going to a TPIA or Bell (who sadly doesn't offer gigabit fibre in my neighbourhood yet) even if I have to go with slower speeds/pay a little extra.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1082 posts
560 upvotes
Markham
syneric wrote: My old promo for internet+tv is ending soon so I called in to see what they had to offer. After some pushing for just internet, I was offered:

$64.99 for gigabit
$59.99 for 500u
$54.99 for 300u

Asked them to set up my cancellation date and later on I got the email saying to call in and talk to a specialist to try and work things out. They offered even worse than what the regular CSRs did when I originally called to cancel. Are any of the above deals worth it or should I just stay steady on the cancellation and wait for a win back call?

Honestly tired of dealing with this Rogers BS and considering just going to a TPIA or Bell (who sadly doesn't offer gigabit fibre in my neighbourhood yet) even if I have to go with slower speeds/pay a little extra.
unless u streaming multiple 4k simultaneously, you dont need any of those speed. Lots of options for slower speed but much lower price.
Member
May 19, 2013
382 posts
4472 upvotes
Vaughan
savemoresaveoften wrote: unless u streaming multiple 4k simultaneously, you dont need any of those speed. Lots of options for slower speed but much lower price.
My house is pretty internet-heavy. Multiple internet TV boxes, Netflix, downloading, games, etc. Was on gigabit before but that was probably unnecessary.

150 down might be okay for most of the time, but would get maxed out occasionally when everything's running at once. I'd say 250/300 down is probably the sweet spot for me in terms of how much is used and the extra headroom for whatever.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17319 posts
5221 upvotes
Toronto
Internet and cable went up by $3 each so paying an extra $6 to these Robbers. I will call in and tell them I expect to pay the retention deal amount only and no more. "The notice Rogers sent out to customers cites Canadians using “more data on more devices to stream, work, and stay connected,” as the reasoning for the price increase. Rogers raising internet rates for some customers by $3 per month". Really pathetic every single year keep jacking up prices and what does CRTC do, nothing!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2003
3638 posts
1361 upvotes
syneric wrote: My house is pretty internet-heavy. Multiple internet TV boxes, Netflix, downloading, games, etc. Was on gigabit before but that was probably unnecessary.

150 down might be okay for most of the time, but would get maxed out occasionally when everything's running at once. I'd say 250/300 down is probably the sweet spot for me in terms of how much is used and the extra headroom for whatever.
Out of curiousity, when signed up for 300 U, what speeds are people actually getting?

I used speedtest and when i was on their 60 mbps plan, i was getting around 40 mpbs download...and now that im on 500, i'm only getting max 120 mbps on a direct lined connection
Newbie
Nov 23, 2010
3 posts
London
I just got this deal:
300 internet
Premier cable (no boxes, we own ours)
Free HBO/Crave for 12 months
And 2 -$100 credits that will come off of our firs 2 bills.

All of this for $128 + tax
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
39341 posts
5349 upvotes
Markham
heyyoudvd wrote: You’re right, I haven’t. How does the process work?
If I’m going to threaten cancellation, I should be willing to follow through without bluffing, right? That would mean I’d need to get a good offer elsewhere, or else I’ll be without these services.

What’s the best way to go about this cancellation process?
Just call Rogers and tell them you want to cancel after the current cycle ends.
Member
May 19, 2013
382 posts
4472 upvotes
Vaughan
halcyon wrote: Out of curiousity, when signed up for 300 U, what speeds are people actually getting?

I used speedtest and when i was on their 60 mbps plan, i was getting around 40 mpbs download...and now that im on 500, i'm only getting max 120 mbps on a direct lined connection
I was on gigabit before but rarely ever got the full 1000 for extended periods. Typically fluctuated around ~600-800. Depends on things like congestion in the area and usage times, peak hours are always slower.

Does anyone know if Rogers will still give you a winback call after cancelling if you received their 'let's make things right' email (and called the included number with no luck on a better deal)?

Also, anyone have experiences with Carrytel? Been looking around at other options and their 150/15 for $49.99 seems to be one of the better ones I can find atm. Saw they had a $39.99 promo for the same plan back around February, sadly missed it would have jumped on that if I saw. Cannet also seems to be offering the same plan, but charges a $70 activating fee while Carrytel has none.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2012
569 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
uwotri wrote: I just got this deal:
300 internet
Premier cable (no boxes, we own ours)
Free HBO/Crave for 12 months
And 2 -$100 credits that will come off of our firs 2 bills.

All of this for $128 + tax
I wouldn't call that a deal at all.

I was paying $133 tax in for Gigabit/Premiere with 4k PVR and HBO/Crave for 12 months.

Faster internet and cable box rental for less money, even if you divide your credits by 24 months.

Downgraded to gigabit/standard cable/Hbo Crave 1 year/HD box (no pvr but purchased 3.0 PVR used for $60) for $59 tax in.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 39 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 36 guests)

perfectos, deleon, firstorlast