Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2199 posts
4611 upvotes
Mississauga
RunOrDie wrote: Do we still have to dial the Winback/Ambassador number to get better discounts? I have the grandfathered Express 80GB which suits my needs so I am hoping for the current offer I am paying (50% off and free Rocket Modem)
The Winback/Ambassador number has been discontinued, you have to deal with Retentions for now.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1724 posts
92 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
rogers-cable-retentions-new-customers-d ... st25841065

For any that were fed up this year and moved away from Rogers, the url above asks if anyone were charged full price + as I was upon my next bill.

An Update:

Rogers tried to charge me the full month, although I had only used 2 days worth of TV + cable.

They deliberately sent me a bill long past the date that corrections normally would have been accounted for without adjustments.
For $285 or so.
Assume they just expect you to pay it, and I bet many do without question.
Phoned and was immediately put through to CS.
They tried to lie but I asked for the pro rates daily and all pretense fell away.
My final bill, including my 2 mobiles which I do still have, suddenly dropped to $115 from $285.

At one point they tried to charge me an extra $50 and I told them it was their choice but if they wished to do so, I would be cancelling my 2 cell plans as soon as I ported them elsewhere.
And it was written off immediately.

A big drop from $285 - $115.

Remember that if you don't like the deals given you this year and move elsewhere.
I no longer check into this forum. Email me directly IF you have my newest address.
I have 3 +, pages of 100% Ratings for various BNIB items + Heatware, for sale but focus on sales elsewhere.
found Here!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1724 posts
92 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
[QUOTE]Was thinking of cancelling my home phone and going with Fongo. Was going to try their free app first on my old Iphone and see how it works[/QUOTE]

I have 2 cell phones plus a home phone and still have a 4th number with Fongo on my mobile for internet sales.
It's not a bad app to use IF you don't use the phone all the time, just once and a while but if you want to receive calls, your phone has to be on at all times.
If you do need it to be your main phone, I would look further into what osuman and others have done with it.

BTW, that free app won't allow you to text message out for free.
I think it works out to about $6 every 3 months to send text messages but free to receive.
It is a basic free service but the call connection for me in Toronto wasn't bad at all the few times a week I used it
I no longer check into this forum. Email me directly IF you have my newest address.
I have 3 +, pages of 100% Ratings for various BNIB items + Heatware, for sale but focus on sales elsewhere.
found Here!
Mar 7, 2011
231 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
After a long and torturous battle I settled with the $20/month off my Ignite 100u package. 67.99+tax no contract. Figured the extra $3 a month was better than agreeing to a 2 year term. Will wait for better deals.
Apr 21, 2013
68 posts
9 upvotes
I was paying approximately $120 for Hybrid Fibre 60 and Digital VIP Cable (nextbox 3.0 rental included for free). When I called Rogers to try and reinstate the promo (expired mid April) - I was offered the following:

- Everything I currently have, except the internet cap space WOULD BE DROPPED to 120 gbs from the 320gb I currently have, I would keep the VIP cable, would pay for the next box and my next bill rate would be $174 after taxes.

I asked him if that was a joke. They wanted me to downgrade my internet package so he could charge me an extra $45/month? Going to call back in a couple of days to put in a cancellation order.

When I called the first time I did not go the cancel route.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
frenchtoast wrote: I think the 64.99$ unlimited deal is the best you can get, I called in to re-negotiate for my parents they too had the 50% off internet, which they refused to renew. They told me $23 off any ignite package is the best I can get. I am going to convince them to go with a TPIA, but they are stubborn and want to keep Bell for landline, and Rogers for cable and internet.
You have to go the cancel route to get the best deals. Though I am not sure if the $59.99 100u still exist through the cancel route now.
May 12, 2015
11 posts
Midland, ON
osuman wrote: Can't comment of fongo but I switched to freephoneline.ca(bought their unlock key and obi200) a year ago and didn't have any issues, same call quality as rogers home phone and no extra fees. No idea how it would be in midland though.
Thanks Osuman, I'm actually just south of Barrie, so hopefully it still works OK....
May 12, 2015
11 posts
Midland, ON
Sutherlandchick wrote: I have 2 cell phones plus a home phone and still have a 4th number with Fongo on my mobile for internet sales.
It's not a bad app to use IF you don't use the phone all the time, just once and a while but if you want to receive calls, your phone has to be on at all times.
If you do need it to be your main phone, I would look further into what osuman and others have done with it.

BTW, that free app won't allow you to text message out for free.
I think it works out to about $6 every 3 months to send text messages but free to receive.
It is a basic free service but the call connection for me in Toronto wasn't bad at all the few times a week I used it
Thanks for the information. I'm still at that age (old, but not THAT old), that it's still hard to give up the home phone. We basically only use it to talk to our inlaws and make calls every now and then. Actually, we get more call from telemarketers than anyone else, so really I should just pull the plug! LOL!
Jul 12, 2008
210 posts
130 upvotes
RRRhaire wrote: After a long and torturous battle I settled with the $20/month off my Ignite 100u package. 67.99+tax no contract. Figured the extra $3 a month was better than agreeing to a 2 year term. Will wait for better deals.
What did you have to do to get this offer? I was only offered this price on a 2 year term. The no-term price was $10 more.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
somanybooks wrote: Thanks Osuman, I'm actually just south of Barrie, so hopefully it still works OK....
You can test the connection yourself now to see the quality of the connection. Webslinger posted this in the FreePhoneLine RFD mega thread:
[INDENT]
Use something like winmtr: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

Test pings to

a) voip.freephoneline.ca (Milton, Ontario),
b) voip2.freephoneline.ca, and
c) voip4.freephoneline.ca

Ping about 100 times.
Look at your highest ping. Look at your average ping. Subtract. You want little variation between each successive ping (low jitter).

And you want low average pings.
[/INDENT]

The thread is here: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... ip-821229/

Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the quality of connection would be the same to Fongo or Freephoneline. They're the same operation, just FPL is hands-on (you need to purchase an ATA adapter and config, troubleshoot, etc), whereas Fongo is for those who want hands-off (they rent you the ATA already configured, but pay more monthly, etc). However, once FPL is properly setup, its basically a set it and forget it thing. FPL definitely comes out cheaper in the long run, since it's a one-time fee and that's it.
Mar 7, 2011
231 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
visualpurple wrote: What did you have to do to get this offer? I was only offered this price on a 2 year term. The no-term price was $10 more.
I told them there is no way I would agree to a 2 year contract. They then offered $20 off per month for the 100u package (67.99) and $15 off for the ignite 60 package (62.99). The credit is valid for 1 year.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2118 posts
119 upvotes
RRRhaire wrote: I told them there is no way I would agree to a 2 year contract. They then offered $20 off per month for the 100u package (67.99) and $15 off for the ignite 60 package (62.99). The credit is valid for 1 year.
Was this this week? I called on Monday and was told they no longer offered the off contract package, at least for the 250u. That promotion ended Friday apparently.
Mar 7, 2011
231 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
convoluted wrote: Was this this week? I called on Monday and was told they no longer offered the off contract package, at least for the 250u. That promotion ended Friday apparently.
Got this last night
Nov 23, 2012
315 posts
81 upvotes
Sejad wrote: Hey guys, I have not had internet installed in a long time and totally forget if they actually run the Ethernet cable to specific rooms in the house if you request it when they arrive. Can someone enlighten me?
I believe they only wire one computer in the same room the modem is installed.
Nov 23, 2012
315 posts
81 upvotes
Sejad wrote: That's brutal......I need to have at least 3 rooms hard wired for desktops.
If I'm not mistaken they used to have a "premium installation " where they would do such jobs for an extra $50 .I'm not sure if they still do that though. Can't hurt to call and ask mabey they will waive the fee.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sejad wrote: That's brutal......I need to have at least 3 rooms hard wired for desktops.
You probably don't want the Rogers tech guy to do it if you want it done right. They'll probably just run cheap ethernet cable along the baseboard from the room where the modem is installed and it won't look pretty. I hired a technician who spent the time to do cable drops from the 2nd floor bedrooms into the basement to a centralized location where you can have the cable modem located. Everything is behind the walls and all you see is ethernet wall plates in each room.
Sep 18, 2008
676 posts
200 upvotes
When I got my Internet installed this past weekend the Rogers cable technician looked at my house wiring and told me I had about 9 cable outlets in my whole house. I originally told him I wanted the modem in bedroom #3 (I previously had it in bedroom #1). He was like since there were 9 cable wire and it was not labelled he said he could figure it out but will take some time or he can just hard wire it into all 9 outlets if the signal was strong enough and because I don't have cable tv. So I just told him to go ahead and wire it into all 9 cable outlets so in the future I guess I could easily just decide to move the cable modem without having to call a Rogers technician again. So not sure if my situation is something along the lines of what you were looking for.

*Edit - I had outlets in my house already so if you do not have the outlets than I guess it won't apply to you.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tdotojnf wrote: When I got my Internet installed this past weekend the Rogers cable technician looked at my house wiring and told me I had about 9 cable outlets in my whole house. I originally told him I wanted the modem in bedroom #3 (I previously had it in bedroom #1). He was like since there were 9 cable wire and it was not labelled he said he could figure it out but will take some time or he can just hard wire it into all 9 outlets if the signal was strong enough and because I don't have cable tv. So I just told him to go ahead and wire it into all 9 cable outlets so in the future I guess I could easily just decide to move the cable modem without having to call a Rogers technician again. So not sure if my situation is something along the lines of what you were looking for.
Not really because he's looking for a hard wire from the cable modem to all of his computers in separate rooms, which is done by ethernet cable (RJ45).

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

AnshumanB876667