Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1165 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bollywoodfan wrote: My Ignite 100u plan comes with shomi for free. Got the plan when it first came out.
Anyone received a email yet about this? Some are saying they got free netflix standard plan for 6 months!
Got an email to that effect today. But 6 months is a joke when it was supposed to be the duration of the contract (June 2018 for me). Or at least continue the shomi discount if you go with one of their Netflix packages.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
If you are currently in a 2 year contract ... and you want to get a new promo ... as long as you have COMPLETED the first 12 months of the current contract ... they (Retention) can give you a new offer in replacement of the existing contract.

The cancellation fee would be $100 in the second 12 months.

So if you can get a great offer ... it does NO harm to pay $100 for the cancellation of the existing contract and then get the new contract for a better price for a 2 year contract.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
georgep wrote:
bollywoodfan wrote: My Ignite 100u plan comes with shomi for free. Got the plan when it first came out.
Anyone received a email yet about this? Some are saying they got free netflix standard plan for 6 months!
Got an email to that effect today. But 6 months is a joke when it was supposed to be the duration of the contract (June 2018 for me). Or at least continue the shomi discount if you go with one of their Netflix packages.
Yeah, got mine today too. I just renewed my contract for the $99 Gb/VIP TV package and was suppose to have shomi included for the duration. After 6 months of netflix I will be seeing about a credit to offset the $9 loss of value in the contract.
Oct 9, 2010
655 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Wait they are offering the $99 ignite/vip bundle again to even existing service customers? i just switched last week to the ignite/vip bundle last week for $130 since they said it was to new customer/ installing service only.
Jan 2, 2006
245 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
georgep wrote:
You are absolutely right. I signed for gigabit/VIP package for two years in July. They should honor Netflix substitution for the duration of contract. I think if all of us who have this push them to do it, it may force them to reconsider. Id someone calls and request this please post in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
I just got an email from Rogers regarding the end of shomi:

"We’d like to take a moment to thank you for being a valued Rogers customer and subscriber to shomiTM. The shomi streaming service was created for people who appreciate great TV shows and movies, and while it was embraced by people across the country – people like you and me – ultimately it was not in great enough numbers to sustain it.
As a result, shomi will cease operations as of November 30, 2016 and will no longer be offering streaming services. You can visit rogers.com/shomi for more information.
We strive to deliver the best video experience to your home every day, and as a valued Rogers IgniteTM customer, we’d like to offer you 6 months of a Netflix Standard Plan1, on us. We will be in touch before the end of November with details on how to redeem this offer, plus, we’ll have other premium content experiences coming your way throughout 2017.
Thank you again for choosing Rogers."

I still have 13 months left on my 2-year contract that included shomi, so they're essentially taking away the last 13 months of my promo and offering to replace it with 6 months of Netflix. That's BS.

I would argue that if they're removing a "perk" because it no longer exists, then they should be forced to provide an equivalent perk or discount for the same length of time. I would take Netflix free for the next 13 months until my contract is up.

The problem here is their promise of "other premium content in 2017". I'm sure they don't want to provide Netflix for free for the remainder of my term, so they're probably going to do something underhanded like start charging for GameCentreLive or some other existing service like Rogers On Demand, and then call it a premium service and give it to shomi subscribers for free to replace the perk that was lost.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I also just got an email from Rogers but it doesn't have the 6-month Netflix offer:

"Hi,
We’d like to take a moment to thank you for being a valued Rogers customer and subscriber to shomiTM. The shomi streaming service was created for people who appreciate great TV shows and movies, and while it was embraced by people across the country – people like you and me – ultimately it was not in great enough numbers to sustain it.
As a result, shomi will cease operations as of November 30, 2016 and will no longer be offering streaming services. You can visit rogers.com/shomi for more information.
We strive to deliver the best video experience to your home every day, so we are disappointed to be delivering this news.
Thank you again for choosing Rogers.
Sincerely,
Melani Griffith
Sr. Vice President, Content"

I've highlighted the main difference with the email Pintobean received above. So why are there different emails being circulated? I have about 18 months left in my original 2 year term. I should have Shomi until end of March, 2018. So why am I getting a different email from everyone else?
Last edited by rvs007 on Sep 29th, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: I also just got an email from Rogers but it doesn't have the 6-month Netflix offer:

"Hi,
We’d like to take a moment to thank you for being a valued Rogers customer and subscriber to shomiTM. The shomi streaming service was created for people who appreciate great TV shows and movies, and while it was embraced by people across the country – people like you and me – ultimately it was not in great enough numbers to sustain it.
We strive to deliver the best video experience to your home every day, so we are disappointed to be delivering this news.
Sincerely,
Melani Griffith

I've highlighted the main difference with the email Pintobean received above. So why are there different emails being circulated? I have about 18 months left in my original 2 year term. I should have Shomi until end of March, 2018. So why am I getting a different email from everyone else?
Are you on an Ignite plan?

We strive to deliver the best video experience to your home every day, and as a valued Rogers IgniteTM customer
Last edited by ceredon on Sep 29th, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ceredon wrote:
rvs007 wrote: I also just got an email from Rogers but it doesn't have the 6-month Netflix offer:

"Hi Nelson,
Sincerely,
Melani Griffith

Are you on an Ignite plan?

We strive to deliver the best video experience to your home every day, and as a valued Rogers IgniteTM customer
Yes, I'm on the gigabit internet plan.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
Good ol' Rogers! So not only are they unfairly removing a promo from people that are still under contract, but they're not even offering every customer the replacement Netflix promo.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
same for me no Netflix for me, at least for now

"Hi,
Sincerely,
Melani Griffith

Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
rvs007 wrote: So why are there different emails being circulated? I have about 18 months left in my original 2 year term. I should have Shomi until end of March, 2018. So why am I getting a different email from everyone else?
Have you perhaps never activated or used the Shomi account?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Not a big deal. Rogers always find loopholes to protect themselves and then find ways to screw customers.

As a customer you would waste your time and increase your chances for a heart attack to just call them to argue about issues. Normally speaking, its not really arguing but merely presenting a fact to the call center agent.

They are all trained to NOT give into anything and also to protect the company at all costs. I feel sorry for these people because they constantly get verbally abused but obnoxious customers due to the actions by the employer.

It's a ridiculous industry!

In this situation, they WILL NOT give you anything in return since they are taking away SHOMI. They can remove NHL Game Center Live and/or NHL Center Ice at any moment in time.

Just look at the cellphone side ... when you signed a 2 year contract with a specific plan, you would have received SHOMI/Texture/Spotify for FREE for 2 years. Then they decided to change that FREE service for 24 months and made it 6 months just overnight! ABSOLUTE CON ARTISTS!!!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
just got word...U63 has been extended to Oct 31 2016
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
zaidyboy wrote: just got word...U63 has been extended to Oct 31 2016
What's the best available offer if you have Ignite 100 + Digital Plus with a SD Terminal? Don't want to change my terminal as I have a great Standard terminal.
Last edited by jdmfishingonly on Sep 29th, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cleacy1972 wrote:
rvs007 wrote: So why are there different emails being circulated? I have about 18 months left in my original 2 year term. I should have Shomi until end of March, 2018. So why am I getting a different email from everyone else?
Have you perhaps never activated or used the Shomi account?
I have it activated and I use it regularly. It's also listed as an Experience in MyRogers profile.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
hybrid09 wrote:
zaidyboy wrote: just got word...U63 has been extended to Oct 31 2016
Is that for new customers only?
yes. or if someone has either INTERNET or CABLE with rogers.
Aug 11, 2004
391 posts
69 upvotes
Just a clarification is the U63 package now 1yr. or is it still for 2 ?? Also is it still for 99$ ??
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6207 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
accat13 wrote: Just a clarification is the U63 package now 1yr. or is it still for 2 ?? Also is it still for 99$ ??
I'm calling right now and they are saying U63 is not available....is there a specific number to call?

New activation for sure at a new house. No prior account.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

SolarMom, defiantx