Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1589 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto
I'm moving into a condo that has VIP included in the monthly maintenance. Has anyone had any experience in trying to keep the discounts I currently have in place? I'm getting 30% off TV, a free HD PVR (nextbox 3) as well as upgraded internet to Express. I have 2 cells with Rogers but they're on business plans so they don't count.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24669 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
this is from my experience so YMMV....

I also moved in a condo that had VIP cable included in the monthly maintenance feel and had cable and Internet from my previous house....

So any reasonble person would call up Rogers and use their "MOVE" services to move their existing services to the new address....

Unfortunately, the included cable with maintenance fee complicates things.....

Let me just say that you should just cancel Rogers services and just buy your HD box......because Rogers will royally screw up billing big time and in my case, they never got it right after 5months of calling back as 5 straight monthly bills were incorrect.

They either continued to charge for TV, or gave me a credit for something but still charged for TV etc....

It was sooooo frustrating that i ended up just buying my own HD box from FS, cancelling both TV and Internet with rogers and using Start.ca for internet.....

But I would strongly suggest you activate the HD box FIRST and then cancel your services with Rogers....the cable outlet will remain active and you will continue to enjoy your TV channels...

I went with Start.ca for Internet as they provided service to my condo and they waived the setup fee since I was transferring from another provider.....they sent the modem to me and I just plugged it in and away I went....

Trust me.....Rogers will mess things up big time with the TV portion.....such a headache....
nutttbar wrote: I'm moving into a condo that has VIP included in the monthly maintenance. Has anyone had any experience in trying to keep the discounts I currently have in place? I'm getting 30% off TV, a free HD PVR (nextbox 3) as well as upgraded internet to Express. I have 2 cells with Rogers but they're on business plans so they don't count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
[quote="RickyGP" post_id="19438921" time="1407201493" user_id="786449"]If you guys remember in June, Steve had the plan for new internet customers:

- 270 GB
- 30mbps/5mbps
- FREE Modem
- $54.95
+ no install fee, and $100 credit after 2 months
If you are on this plan, I would call in loyalty and tell them you want to cancel, (You should try a few times) You can get upgraded to the 60/10 and 320 GB FOR FREE!
It worked for me but I had to try the second time!
Also a tip for everyone who wants to try and save some cash on their bills. Every few months call in and tell them you want to cancel, they will always give you SOMETHING to stay with them. (Remember to try 1-4 times)[/QUOTE]

Definitely a YMMV scenario!
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2617 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
RayK wrote: Not sure why you are being told there is no student deal. Here is what I was offered (in addition to what was quoted in the post above):

Hybrid 30 (270gb, modem included, activation fee waived, no contract) - $40 + tax
Hybrid 60 (320gb, modem included, activation fee waived, no contract) - $46 + tax
I called and was told I can't switch to this because I'm currently on the W45 plan. Apparently it's only for new customers.

FS: Nothing
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
Do you need to be a student to get the student deal? $40 a month seems like a good deal.

Is that only for the first 8 months (like the Bell one), or is it permanent? (or more like, until they do their annual rate hike).
a
Jun 4, 2007
478 posts
2 upvotes
Kitchener
TheGame wrote: I called and was told I can't switch to this because I'm currently on the W45 plan. Apparently it's only for new customers.
elty wrote: Do you need to be a student to get the student deal? $40 a month seems like a good deal.

Is that only for the first 8 months (like the Bell one), or is it permanent? (or more like, until they do their annual rate hike).
You are better off on the W45 plan IMO, the deal I posted is a student deal and only lasts for 8 months. They asked for my student number when I set it up over the phone (but they have no way of knowing for sure)
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2617 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
RayK wrote: You are better off on the W45 plan IMO, the deal I posted is a student deal and only lasts for 8 months. They asked for my student number when I set it up over the phone (but they have no way of knowing for sure)
I wanted to inquire about getting something cheaper than the $40 plan (with less bandwidth). I typically use less than 50gb/month, so the 300gb allotment in W45 is well beyond my needs.

However, I didn't know it's only for 8 months. In that case, I'll pass on the student offer.

FS: Nothing
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait to call in tomorrow and give my cancellation notice. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4062 posts
162 upvotes
Markham
Is this deal available to new customers only??

#3 - DIGITAL BASIC LITE DEAL
- DIGITAL BASIC LITE PACKAGE
- FREE SD-BOX (TO KEEP FOREVER)
- $15.14
- No contract
Jul 7, 2005
530 posts
180 upvotes
So I cancelled my services with rogers and was only looking for internet deals. Winback called in and offered 50% off any internet package. Was interested in the HF60. Had to pay 4 bucks more a month for advanced modem. Took over 45 min to negotiate.

Is this what it will be like moving forward? Having to waste close to an hour each year to talk to rogers? It never used to be this complicated... Gone are the days where you get a great deal on a service that was pretty much yours forever
Sep 16, 2012
736 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
mogmatt wrote: So I cancelled my services with rogers and was only looking for internet deals. Winback called in and offered 50% off any internet package. Was interested in the HF60. Had to pay 4 bucks more a month for advanced modem. Took over 45 min to negotiate.

Is this what it will be like moving forward? Having to waste close to an hour each year to talk to rogers? It never used to be this complicated... Gone are the days where you get a great deal on a service that was pretty much yours forever
What did you have before with Rogers, if you don't mind me asking?
Jul 7, 2005
530 posts
180 upvotes
DaveProductions wrote: What did you have before with Rogers, if you don't mind me asking?
I moved into a new condo and had 6 months free for internet cable and phone. Dig VIP, extreme and phone with 2 features. My 6 month term came to a close and I was gonna jump to bell. Then rogers called back and offered 50% off any internet package like many of the other people posted.

On second thought tonight, I think I might still jump ship to bell. They are giving 6 months free and then their 50/50, 150gb for $53 per month for a two year contract. $100 early termination fee.
Vs. roger who is offering 60/10, 120gb for $33 for one year. I hate having to call and negotiate each year.
Nov 11, 2013
37 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Currently I have basic cable that comes with channel 2-28 and I also have the Rogers digital box for certain channels I subscribed too. However, another friend of mine has the same setup, but he receives 2-42. I was wondering how he receives those extra channels. Also if he got the rogers cable network enhancement would he somehow receives 43-50+?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
Patrickpk44 wrote: Currently I have basic cable that comes with channel 2-28 and I also have the Rogers digital box for certain channels I subscribed too. However, another friend of mine has the same setup, but he receives 2-42. I was wondering how he receives those extra channels. Also if he got the rogers cable network enhancement would he somehow receives 43-50+?
You are using the digital signal (cable plugged into digital box). He is on analog (cable plugged directly to TV). He will eventually lose his extra channels as Rogers stops serving analog signal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
Hey guys, moving into an apartment that is going through the cancellation process with Rogers. Do I qualify as a new customer if I sign up for Rogers service? Is it done by address or person its billed to?
Nov 14, 2007
418 posts
189 upvotes
BenK wrote: Hey guys, moving into an apartment that is going through the cancellation process with Rogers. Do I qualify as a new customer if I sign up for Rogers service? Is it done by address or person its billed to?
it is determined by the person it is billed to. so yes, you are a new customer.
Aug 5, 2014
2 posts
Brampton, ON
Hi guys
i currently put my 30 day notice in cancelation for rogers. I had tv, internet and phone bundle my discounts are coming to an end on august 13. When i spoke to retentions the best they were willing to do was 60% internet or 25% off all services.. with the 25% off they were going to cut some extra discounts such as rental fees off making the total higher than it was before
do you guys think it would be smart to go ahead and take this plan or deal with winback
also i saw the that winback number was posted is this a direct line that goes through?
May 8, 2014
86 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wait so do you guys cancel your internet and then wait for someone from a "winback" department to call you and give you a good deal? Doesn't this just give you partial charges for cancelling between a pay period and why even cancel when you can deal with loyalty?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1724 posts
92 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Yes, you must cancel it, give your 30 days which means you still have Rogers for the 30 days so if at any point you don't want to cancel, you will just tell them and continue on as before. IF you don't tell them though, they will cancel you at the 30 day point

then you sit and wait for win back to call

in my case i waited 48 hours and then IF for any reason you are impatient, you can call them and say that you just missed a phone call from this number and what was it about? if you do dial win back they will ask you for your name, etc and then will go into their pitch.

a few here have made the mistake and phoned win back directly BEFORE cancelling with rogers and win back won't have a file for them so its a ease of time

sure you will get partial charges but so what? it will be less anyhow than you normally pay
winback is the ONLY person that can give you the best deals, hands are tied with other departments
I no longer check into this forum. Email me directly IF you have my newest address.
I have 3 +, pages of 100% Ratings for various BNIB items + Heatware, for sale but focus on sales elsewhere.
found Here!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1589 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto
RickyGP wrote: Wait so do you guys cancel your internet and then wait for someone from a "winback" department to call you and give you a good deal? Doesn't this just give you partial charges for cancelling between a pay period and why even cancel when you can deal with loyalty?
Loyalty doesn't offer the kind of deals they used to. Those deals are only being offered by Winback...it's a game Rogers is playing with their customers because they know there are few options.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)