Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Feb 7, 2005
106 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm currently on a Hybrid 150 Internet plan, VIP Ultimate w/TMN and HD Specialty pak for cable with one free basic HD box; and Home Phone w/1000 North American + 6 call features.

Currently paying $198.53 per month discounted from $268.21 list. Internet is discounted ~30%, Cable TV ~25% and Home Phone ~20%. TV includes a free basic HD Box.

My two year pricing is coming up April 30th. Assume Rogers will try to move me into a new Ignite Bundle Plan. I'm looking to lower my cost:

1. Is it possible to customize the bundles i.e.. upgrade VIP to Ultimate VIP with movies. upgrade Nextbox 2 to 3, etc.

2. Is the step down from Hybrid 150 to Ignite 100 a noticeable drop My current Hybrid 150 gives me 500 gigs which is plenty; so the unlimited download cap doesn't help me.

Any advice on what the best retention deals are now. I would prefer a deal that doesn't lock me in on contract.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1074 posts
477 upvotes
Oakville
Recently I signed up the Extra Plus and on the website and it says including Nickelodeon non HD, then I checked my TV and it says not authorized..., (channel 69 non HD & channel 478 for HD and may be different channels number in your area), so I called Technical Support and she said that her system shows it does not come with the Nickelodeon in this package and I told her to check the website and she said it does not come with Nick in Mississauga area. Total BS. I told her Nick non-HD comes with all packages except Digital TV (the cheapest one). I told her to escalate to her manager or whoever programed this and if I don't get this next week, I will report to CCTS, what I pay is not what I get...also told her that I signed into my account in the website and it should know that where I am located.

So for anyone who subscribed this TV package: Digital Plus, Extra Sports, Extra Lifestyle, Extra Plus, VIP Package & VIP Ultimates, you should get at least the non HD Nickelodeon. The Nick HD comes with Digital Plus & VIP Package. My kids like this channel and they watch Nick all the time.

Check your TV and report back if you have this channel and indicate your area.

Thanks.
Mar 4, 2015
32 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
New customer to Rogers, i got internet last week, ignite 250u unlimited usage, and i'm paying $78/month for internet and $45 for home phone with 2 features (call display/visual call waiting) for 1 year = $123/month (taxes in). Is it good deal?

On internet it's $20 off and home phone $7 off.

I still think i'm paying too much for home phone. Should i call and cancel homephone to see if they offer discount?
Aug 12, 2014
31 posts
Ottawa, ON
Sailor-man wrote: I'm currently on a Hybrid 150 Internet plan, VIP w/TMN and HDTV extra pkg cable with one free basic HD box; and Home Phone w/1000 North American + call features.

Currently paying $198.53 per month discounted from $268.21 list. Internet is discounted ~30%, Cable TV ~25% and Home Phone ~20%. TV includes a free basic HD Box.

My two year pricing is coming up April 30th. Assume Rogers will try to move me into a new Ignite Bundle Plan. I'm looking to lower my cost:

1. Is the step down from Hybrid 150 to Ignite 100 a noticeable drop and is there a bundle plan for 150 or better. Is the modem now included free. Also My current Hybrid 150 gives me 500 gigs which is plenty; so the unlimited download cap doesn't help me.

2. What's the deal with the cable HD boxes on the bundles. Are they including a Nextbox 2 and basic HD box for free with the bundle or am I reading this wrong.

Any advice on what the best deals are now. I would prefer a deal that doesn't lock me in on contract.
I'm in Ottawa

Currently, I'm on a plan that has the following:

Hybrid Fibre 60 with Enhanced Gateway Rental. $45.74 + HST = $51.69 (this plan has a 25% discount ending in May and the Enhanced Gateway Rental of $8/month is credited. The plan has 300 gb per month and we've never gone over 200 gb

Home Phone: Favourites Plan (2 features I think). NO LD. $34.53 + HST = $39.02. This plan has a 25% discount ending in May. I need to keep a home phone but it can be bare bones..no need for LD. Caller ID and VM would be nice. Those are the features we have now

Cable: VIP Ultimate & Movies Package. With one PVR (the one that can record 2 shows at once..not the 8 shows at a time version) and I think a 300 gb hard drive. We never go over about 30% of capacity. We also have a receiver that is HD but not a PVR. The cable fee is $89.21 per month + HST = $100.80. We get 25% off the base fee (which is $115.97), the PVR is credited, the Nextbox HD terminal is credited and the Digital Services Fee is 25% reduced. These credits and prices etc end in May.

Any tips on how to haggle with these people.

I ended up speaking with a rep for an hour on Monday and then went into the store on Tuesday and my head was spinning. I basically want to get what we have for the same price or even cheaper :cheesygri

Is it best to negotiate each one separately or go for one big push. Should I threaten to quit and if so when.

The lady in the store suggested the Ignite 60 plan with a Rockettm Wi-fi Modem and to get the VIP package with one Nextbox 3.0 HD PVR and one Nextbox HD terminal

After 3 months the plan would be $202.78 (incl tax) when right now I'm paying $191.51 incl. tax. That to me doesn't seem like a good deal for a 20 year customer. The home phone in this plan is only $19.99 and comes with more features. Maybe I should go to that and try and keep the others as is.

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, insults :twisted:
Feb 7, 2005
106 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
The way I am reading the Ignite 100u VIP bundle is that for $129.99/month you would get:

1. 100 down unlimited / 10 up High Speed Internet which includes free modem rental.
2. VIP cable with free Nextbox 2 rental and one extra HD box for 3-years.
3. Home Phone with 6 features and unlimited NA long distance.

If I'm reading the disclosure correctly on the first 3-month incentive. It says a discount of $30 for the first 3-months for internet and another $35 for the first 3-months for the VIP TV. (That's $195). Can someone confirm if I've got this right.

I am assuming that you could add the TMN package for another $$20.95/month and $9.95 for the HD Specialty Pak to the basic VIP. That would be $38 cheaper than what I'm currently paying and bring my monthly cost before tax to $160.89 /mth plus HST .. I would be losing some VIP Ultimate channels and some internet speed that might be ok. Just don't like the 2-year commitment.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1315 posts
730 upvotes
mr_plow wrote: Did you get this as a new customer? Or renewing customer? I just called and cancelled my cable TV and was forced to change my internet package. I got the ignite 100 as well, but only given the 3 month promo of 69. I told them I'll call back then and cancel if nothing else can be offered. They are charging too much these guys!
Existing. Currently only have internet with them. Recently canceled HP and cable.
Jan 9, 2010
28 posts
2 upvotes
Just spoke with Customer Relations last night to renew my Internet, Cable, and RHP and manage to maintain my old plans as follows:

- 30% off Digital VIP with free Digital Terminal for another year - all in cost including tax $ 60.88
- Internet Express 20/2 100GB - all in cost including tax $ 42.94 - Old plan without expiry date
- RHP Basic with no features - all in cost including tax $ 11.29 - one year

Hope this helps with all other RFDs currently in negotiations with Customer's Relation - took me about 30 mins to negotiate this deal and record the FINAL negotiation on your cell phone - just in case they renege on their obligation - they always do!! Good luck to all.
Sep 17, 2008
190 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Jeffrey101 wrote: Existing. Currently only have internet with them. Recently canceled HP and cable.
Thanks for the response. I am in the exact same boat as you .. I will call back about it.
Aug 12, 2014
31 posts
Ottawa, ON
askena wrote: Just spoke with Customer Relations last night to renew my Internet, Cable, and RHP and manage to maintain my old plans as follows:

- 30% off Digital VIP with free Digital Terminal for another year - all in cost including tax $ 60.88
- Internet Express 20/2 100GB - all in cost including tax $ 42.94 - Old plan without expiry date
- RHP Basic with no features - all in cost including tax $ 11.29 - one year

Hope this helps with all other RFDs currently in negotiations with Customer's Relation - took me about 30 mins to negotiate this deal and record the FINAL negotiation on your cell phone - just in case they renege on their obligation - they always do!! Good luck to all.
Thanks. That gives us hope. Any tips. How did you start the whole conversation. Did you threaten to quit or just ask to maintain your old plans.?
Sep 19, 2010
568 posts
89 upvotes
Unionville, ON.
Sailor-man wrote: The way I am reading the Ignite 100u VIP bundle is that for $129.99/month you would get:

1. 100 down unlimited / 10 up High Speed Internet which includes free modem rental.
2. VIP cable with free Nextbox 2 rental and one extra HD box for 3-years.
3. Home Phone with 6 features and unlimited NA long distance.

If I'm reading the disclosure correctly on the first 3-month incentive. It says a discount of $30 for the first 3-months for internet and another $35 for the first 3-months for the VIP TV. (That's $195). Can someone confirm if I've got this right.

I am assuming that you could add the TMN package for another $$20.95/month and $9.95 for the HD Specialty Pak to the basic VIP. That would be $38 cheaper than what I'm currently paying and bring my monthly cost before tax to $160.89 /mth plus HST .. I would be losing some VIP Ultimate channels and some internet speed that might be ok. Just don't like the 2-year commitment.
Wow that sucks! Why don't you do as I did and switch to Bell Fibe as a new customer.

Fibe TV offers many more HD channels than Rogers, which has them only in SD. Fibe PVR is waaay better and more reliable than the Nextbox junk. FibeTV picture quality is better in both HD and SD, as I compared them at home side-by-side.
My Fibe internet has more consistent speed, faster uploads, and is more reliable (it never goes down and the modem is better).
The bell phone is also more reliable.

And NEW customers can get either 12 months (toronto and ottawa) for FREE for all 3 services (two-yr contract):
Fibe "Best" TV pkg plus Whole Home wireless PVR, Fibe 50 internet with unlimited cap, Bell Homephone + 2 features.... all FREE.
Jan 9, 2010
28 posts
2 upvotes
Lintontraveltavern wrote: Thanks. That gives us hope. Any tips. How did you start the whole conversation. Did you threaten to quit or just ask to maintain your old plans.?
I did not threaten them - the key is to be polite and respectful but firm enough to walk away without hesitation - as we all have alternatives with Bell and the like. Some of my friends switch between Bell and Rogers every 2 years - just to get the best of deal in town - a bit of hassle but worth it rather than continue to negotiate for the 'best deal'. There is no such thing as loyalty for these big corporates - as it is all about bottom line for them. If it hurts them more than they gain, then the customers retention, customer relations, win-back department and the like will spring back into action.

Good luck and if you do not get what you want the first time around, call a few times to see if it works -most rfds report in this blog seems to work well with their intended target of 30%-50% especially on internet.
Mar 4, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
New customer looking for a cable tv must include tlc and Internet 200gb anyone know of any good promotions available with rogers?
Apr 28, 2008
220 posts
83 upvotes
Called a week ago requesting to cancel my RHP, internet, and VIP cable TV, hoping that they will renew the credits on my account that were going to expire this month. I was transferred to Retention, but was offered nothing other than what they have on their website. So I asked them to cancel my services at the end of the month.

I got a call yesterday from Winback offering me RHP with 6 features, ignite100/10 unlimited, and VIP TV plus HD pack and free PVR for $136+tax/month for 1 year. Could not convince them to make it for 2 years so I agreed to one year.
Mar 12, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I wanted to thank everyone for their informative posts and sharing their plans!

This is the deal I received when I called last night as a new customer:
Ignite100/10 unlimited
Digital Plus, w/HD PVR
ShoMi, NHL
no activation/installation fees
$87.98 taxes incl
$125 credit starting at the 2nd bill, price guaranteed for 2 yrs

Hopefully this is what actually shows up when I get billed...
Mar 12, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
This is the deal I received when I called last night as a new customer:
Ignite100/10 unlimited
Digital Plus, HD PVR
ShoMi, NHL
no installation/activation fees
$87.98 incl tax, guaranteed for 2 years
$125 statement credit starting at the 2nd bill

Hopefully it's what I actually get when the service starts...
Aug 12, 2014
31 posts
Ottawa, ON
hanoudi wrote: Called a week ago requesting to cancel my RHP, internet, and VIP cable TV, hoping that they will renew the credits on my account that were going to expire this month. I was transferred to Retention, but was offered nothing other than what they have on their website. So I asked them to cancel my services at the end of the month.

I got a call yesterday from Winback offering me RHP with 6 features, ignite100/10 unlimited, and VIP TV plus HD pack and free PVR for $136+tax/month for 1 year. Could not convince them to make it for 2 years so I agreed to one year.
How soon before your existing contracts were to end did you call? Is the $136 + tax less than what you pay now and with more features or did you end up paying more? Thanks for the response. I"m going to be on this nonsensical merry go round soon with my services. What a racket. It is like buying a used car except Rogers hold all the information and we can't see them.
Jan 4, 2015
275 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Lintontraveltavern wrote: How soon before your existing contracts were to end did you call? Is the $136 + tax less than what you pay now and with more features or did you end up paying more? Thanks for the response. I"m going to be on this nonsensical merry go round soon with my services. What a racket. It is like buying a used car except Rogers hold all the information and we can't see them.
I always call Retention (press 4 for changing your service and again 4 for cancellation) around 9-10 in the evening. I don't threaten to cancel, but rather saying my colleague at work/school recently got X plan with Y price (I get the offer details from RFD), and I'm wondering if you can offer me something similar. They usually give a crappy offer first which I politely reject and ask for a better one. If they're not willing to offer me something good I tell them I'll think about it. Then, I call back after a few hours or the next day to see if I can get something better. Usually after the second or third call you will get something good. As somebody else mentioned stay polite, positive, and remind them you have a choice to take your business to a competitor.

Regarding how much you should be paying, it seems if you're paying anything more than $100 for both cable and internet you're paying too much. I don't know about home phone service as I never got one before.

For many people including my girlfriend haggling with Rogers is a headache, but I kind of like it. It helps me to evaluate my negotiating skills to see if I can get good deals as other people on RFD.

Hope it helps.
Oct 17, 2013
969 posts
715 upvotes
For many people including my girlfriend haggling with Rogers is a headache, but I kind of like it. It helps me to evaluate my negotiating skills to see if I can get good deals as other people on RFD.

That's kind of the way I approach it as well. I just received my first bill after accepting my new promotions. It was predictable inaccurate and I was able to use Rogers dysfunction to get an extra 8.79 off per month.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Going to call them to see what they can do for my home phone. I am paying $44- 25 % off. Originally I signed a 50% off 1 year contract but they said I couldn't get internet and cable discounts without the home phone being 25% off too. They gave me 25% off all three services on a 2 year contract with the recent price increases, I can break that contract and get better deals.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 4 guests)

CosplayKing, greygables