Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

May 25, 2008
54 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
The Master wrote: hello all!

I am a new customer looking to get Rogers and here is what they have offered me

For 144 dollars per month taxes in would get me the following on a one year contract:
100MB download/10 upload
unlimited internet
The Digital VIP cable package
HBO and TMN movie channels( 7 channels roughly)
One HD receiver and apparently I would get a second wireless box for my second TV so I would still be able to record on a second TV.
NHL gamecenter for streaming and NHL center Ice.

Is this is a good deal???
I think this is a good deal - who did you call to get it? please PM me :)
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rvs007 wrote: Has anyone recently (in the last couple of days) successfully gotten the $30 off cable & $25 off internet promo? I'm in communication with someone from the Office of the President at Rogers in response to a complaint I submitted last week and the guy is telling me he cannot find that promotion anymore. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten it recently.
Anyone?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
rvs007 wrote: Anyone?
Is 1 month ago recent?

FYI, 1 month ago it too wasn't available, only the $25 off cable and $20 off internet. However, the rep provided a $10 credit for 12 of the 24 months.

So not exactly what you got, but there's no reason they can't accommodate your deal to make it equal in terms of savings (e.g., $10/m credit for the full 24 months) - if it was promised to you.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
onlineharvest wrote: Is 1 month ago recent?

FYI, 1 month ago it too wasn't available, only the $25 off cable and $20 off internet. However, the rep provided a $10 credit for 12 of the 24 months.

So not exactly what you got, but there's no reason they can't accommodate your deal to make it equal in terms of savings (e.g., $10/m credit for the full 24 months) - if it was promised to you.
The agent from the OOP said he can't find the $30/$25 off deal and he said he has access to all deal even the retention ones. So it possibly could have expired recently. That's why I wanted to find out if anyone here has recently (in the last few days) gotten that deal.

He did offer me $200 as a "signing bonus", but what he offered me was $20/mo. more than what I'm paying now (even though the new plan would have the 100u internet, plus all the extras that comes with it like Shomi, Gamecentre, etc.), but the $200 credit wouldn't cover the increase for the 24 months I'll need to commit to. That's not enough for me to give up my W35+unlimited internet plan. I thought I'd have an easier time to negotiate a better bundle if I offer to give up the 8 year price protection on the internet plan. Maybe I'll contact them back if they offer the $30/$25 promo again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
rvs007 wrote: The agent from the OOP said he can't find the $30/$25 off deal and he said he has access to all deal even the retention ones. So it possibly could have expired recently. That's why I wanted to find out if anyone here has recently (in the last few days) gotten that deal.

He did offer me $200 as a "signing bonus", but what he offered me was $20/mo. more than what I'm paying now (even though the new plan would have the 100u internet, plus all the extras that comes with it like Shomi, Gamecentre, etc.), but the $200 credit wouldn't cover the increase for the 24 months I'll need to commit to. That's not enough for me to give up my W35+unlimited internet plan. I thought I'd have an easier time to negotiate a better bundle if I offer to give up the 8 year price protection on the internet plan. Maybe I'll contact them back if they offer the $30/$25 promo again.
Not only are they generally stingy, I wouldn't be surprised if the W35 is the sticking point. I remember the latter period I had it, they would ALWAYS mention that package as a reason they can't do better. And seeing as people are cutting both TV and Phone cords, and the increasing importance of internet for these services, they'd like to get you out of a package with price protection until 2021! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
I am still rather curious if the others here who are receiving offers for 140$ a month tax in are receiving a promotional price. I am paying $195 tax in for VIP Cable (with a single PVR provided and I am paying for the second HD Receiver), 100u Internet, and I am on some older plan for the home phone that only gives me 500 minutes of North American calling. If others are getting 140$ tax in, I would definitely be calling to negotiate.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Jul 13, 2014
8 posts
Woodstock
I think everything is a promotional price. There model is based on if customer does not ask for a better price then charge whatever the market will bear within reason. I pay $122 all in for VIP TV, internet and the basic homephone. They are actually reducing discounts and standardizing their pricing which does not bode well for the future. Still cheaper than bell though, this is what you get with no competition and a regulated market.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1676 posts
1073 upvotes
Ottawa Valley
Called today and they best they could do for my ignite 100 is $20 off, making it $76.89 a month after tax....thats brutal.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts.
Jan 5, 2012
4 posts
ETOBICOKE
Anyone have info they can share with just cable with rogers? No bundle... I have current "plus" package and after tax and pvr they've been charging me $90 they cut my HBO and now just "plus" package , I called Monday and cancelled because I feel that Im getting screwed. They tried calling back today but I was at work and told them I couldn't talk so they said they will call me tonight.

I've been trying to see what I could do whether its pay less or better package at that price if I was to stay, but after searching through all I can find is talk about bundles. Any advice would be appreciated.
cheers :)
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
onlineharvest wrote: Not only are they generally stingy, I wouldn't be surprised if the W35 is the sticking point. I remember the latter period I had it, they would ALWAYS mention that package as a reason they can't do better. And seeing as people are cutting both TV and Phone cords, and the increasing importance of internet for these services, they'd like to get you out of a package with price protection until 2021! :)
But that's the thing, I was quite upfront with the guy that I was willing to drop my W35 internet and go with a 2 year ignite 100u plan if I could get $25 off internet, and $30 off cable. But even so he said he couldn't find the $30/$25 off deal on the system. So perhaps it's true that the promo is no longer available (unless someone else here can confirm otherwise). My cable & home phone discounts won't expire until February 2016. So I do have some time to wait to see if better offers come along. I was just hoping that I can make the switch now so I can start benefiting from the 10Mbps upload speeds.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1824 posts
591 upvotes
So i can't get the steve deal if I'm already a Rogers customer?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
1771 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
I was on a 6-month free promotion for all top-end services, and had to negotiate a deal since it's now ending.

I ended up taking 100u + basic cable + free PVRs for $119 tax-in with a 2-year commitment. It's crap, but nothing better was being offered...
Oct 20, 2012
472 posts
157 upvotes
I got $20 off for 100u with 2 years commitment today.
Couldn't get $25 off...
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
verybo wrote: I got $20 off for 100u with 2 years commitment today.
Couldn't get $25 off...
When I called in over the weekend the guy offered me 73.xx all in for 100u. I thought he was crazy and was hoping for my $48.01 renewal, he said that's long gone..lol..guess he was right. man i cant justify paying that kinda coin for internet but its fastttt and very helpful in large household. I thought some people were able to get $59.99 for 100u? or was that for students or something?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1824 posts
591 upvotes
So they want me to sign two year commitment for $135 tax-in which includes:
- Homephone with 6 features. Not that I need it but I do need a land line
- Internet 100
- Basic cable with HD receiver
- Movie Network promotion for 6 months after which it is $16/- but I'll take it off account.

The alternative would have been bell but they don't offer more the speeds here. I've tried Teksavvy before and they were driving me insane. I'm currently paying $123 (tax-in) for basic cable, home phone and 300GB 30MBps download (previous retention) so I'm thinking of taking the new offered.

Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
itrocks4u wrote: So they want me to sign two year commitment for $135 tax-in which includes:
- Homephone with 6 features. Not that I need it but I do need a land line
- Internet 100
- Basic cable with HD receiver
- Movie Network promotion for 6 months after which it is $16/- but I'll take it off account.

The alternative would have been bell but they don't offer more the speeds here. I've tried Teksavvy before and they were driving me insane. I'm currently paying $123 (tax-in) for basic cable, home phone and 300GB 30MBps download (previous retention) so I'm thinking of taking the new offered.

Thoughts?
Arn't these guys being sneaky with the 2 year commitments?..I thought the CRTC wants the pick and choose options by next year so I think these guys want to lock people up as much as possible..lol. Why cant they provide month-to-month like they have been doing?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1824 posts
591 upvotes
rage2021 wrote: Arn't these guys being sneaky with the 2 year commitments?..I thought the CRTC wants the pick and choose options by next year so I think these guys want to lock people up as much as possible..lol. Why cant they provide month-to-month like they have been doing?
Yea seems like it....but considering the amount I'm paying on no contract, and I really do want to try out the 100MBPs download lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2012
1415 posts
260 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Forgot to call yesterday, missed the student plan for 100...doesnt look like their offering it, seems to be bundled with just basic cable
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rage2021 wrote: Arn't these guys being sneaky with the 2 year commitments?..I thought the CRTC wants the pick and choose options by next year so I think these guys want to lock people up as much as possible..lol. Why cant they provide month-to-month like they have been doing?
From what was explained to me, the 2 year commitment is only for the internet part. There are no contracts for the cable & home phone. However, the $19.99 home phone package w/ 6 features is only available if you bundle with cable & internet.

As for the $59.99 for 100u internet, I've been trying to find out if it's still available. It sounds like that recently expired.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

kurono