Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers Corp plans discussion (excludes CORP 350 plan discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2017 11:58 am
Dec 13, 2016
96 posts
10 upvotes
mgrimace wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 7:10 am
Rogers is raising prices on all grandfathered month to month corporate plans - it's been staggered, but those of us on the old corp 350 have been going up since around September/October from what I've been reading. +9$ or more depending on plan. Something about approval from the CRTC to be able to raise/change plans without client permission to improve infrastructure. I've been researching since it started happening to others and I was hit with the increase on last night's bill. FYI - if your plan goes up, and you weren't notified, call and ask to be credited the difference for that bill - they are supposed to provide 30d notice.
The $5+ billion in net profit they made last year isn't enough to support "improved infrastructure"?

Thanks for the note about the 30d though.
Jul 13, 2006
27 posts
4 upvotes
Hey guys,

I am currently approaching the end of a 2 year contract that I got through a friend (she used to work at PwC). I signed the 2 year contract because I also got hardware subsidized. I tried to renew the plan and get a new phone recently, but Rogers won't do it because the friend is no longer employed at PwC and I don't have access to the token code.

Out of curiosity...what happens at the expiry date? Will I still be kept at the current plan, but month to month? Or is Rogers going to outright cancel?

Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6479 posts
2816 upvotes
Markham
artlan wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 10:53 am
Hey guys,

I am currently approaching the end of a 2 year contract that I got through a friend (she used to work at PwC). I signed the 2 year contract because I also got hardware subsidized. I tried to renew the plan and get a new phone recently, but Rogers won't do it because the friend is no longer employed at PwC and I don't have access to the token code.

Out of curiosity...what happens at the expiry date? Will I still be kept at the current plan, but month to month? Or is Rogers going to outright cancel?

Don't call them, don't ask for an upgrade. Leave the matter be and they won't do anything. You just go M-2-M, until they increase prices randomly.
Feb 7, 2008
354 posts
141 upvotes
St Catharines
artlan wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 10:53 am
Hey guys,

My advice is the same as @Anikiri 's, I'll also clarify that you'll be automatically changed to month-to-month, you don't need to 'do' anything. That also means you own your phone now. Rogers seems to be targeting month-to-month plans with price increases, so be ready that that could happen any time, but if you're on a good plan wait it out. If/when you do get hit with a price increase, call in and make sure they give you a credit for the difference - they're supposed to provide 30d notice of any plan changes/increases - that will at least buy you another month to find a more suitable plan if you don't like the increase.
Mobile: Koodo - 8gb 55$ Canada-wide - how-to
Internet: Carrytel 60/10 29$
TV: FTA Antenna + Netflix
Jul 13, 2006
27 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for your reply guys! Really appreciate it :)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1407 posts
130 upvotes
Markham
Do I have to go through the corporate store my work uses? TD uses uptownwireless in Ontario. Do I have to go through them or do I have other options. I want to buy out my phone and get a new phone, just don't know if I'm stuck paying uptowns prices?

Thanks
Feb 7, 2008
354 posts
141 upvotes
St Catharines
DdBigs wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 11:34 am
Do I have to go through the corporate store my work uses? TD uses uptownwireless in Ontario. Do I have to go through them or do I have other options. I want to buy out my phone and get a new phone, just don't know if I'm stuck paying uptowns prices?

Thanks
If you're asking about hardware:

I tried a few ways around this myself and wasn't successful with my corp store (I wanted consumer price on phone, but to still get the corporate plan because their hardware prices weren't great). The only way I found and big YMMV would be to call Uptownwireless and see if they'll convert a consumer plan to a corporate plan (and if they'll do it free). E.g. If you tell them you bought a phone and a consumer plan on a boxing day deal, would they be able to change the plan over (and not have to pay any difference on hardware).

Then you could theoretically activate a phone on any consumer plan, get a hardware discount, then convert the plan over to get the corporate rates - I was not successful doing this myself, but worth a shot.

If you're asking about the plan:

If it's Bell/Telus, typically the resellers are the only one that can do the plan (as far as I understand, unless you have the particular code for the plan, for Bell it's called a NAG code). If it's Rogers and the discount is just a flat -30% off consumer plans, you can call in to Rogers corporate and deal with them directly instead of Uptownwireless. Rogers corp: 1 (866) 727-2141 -- you could also copy down the plan info from Uptown, and call Rogers Corp directly to see if they can match it or if they have access to the plan (I've had success in the past doing that).

This is all based on my experience calling around and trying to negotiate my own plan so YMMV on above info
Dec 11, 2004
16 posts
My current corp plan with Rogers is $65/mo. I'm with EY:
75 Business Bundle ($75 with $10 monthly discount)
- Unlimited local calling
- Unlimited North American LD
- Visual Voicemail
- Unltd CAN to US/Intl Text/MMS
- Unltd Text/Pic/Video Messages
- 5 GB data
- 1 GB US data (additional $15/mo)

I'm trying to do a HUP, but Rogers Direct is saying that this plan is discontinued and the best they can offer me is 20% off the current Share Everything Plans which does not come close to the features I have and the price I am paying. They won't offer me 30% or 35% off as others are saying on this thread. Additionally the HUP prices are high i.e. $399 for a iPhone 7 32GB or Google Pixel (on a 24 month agreement).

What are my options?
Last edited by ak101 on Jan 3rd, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2016
96 posts
10 upvotes
ak101 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 12:59 pm
- Visual Voicemail
- 5 GB data

I'm trying to do a HUP, but Rogers Direct is saying that this plan is discontinued and the best they can offer me is 20% off the current Share Everything Plans which does not come close to the features I have and the price I am paying. They won't offer me 30% or 35% off as others are saying on this thread. Additionally the HUP prices are high i.e. $399 for a iPhone 7 32GB or Google Pixel.

What are my options?
I've had similar problems to you, have an old corp plan no longer offered. if I want to HUP i basically lose my plan, and got the same garbage offer of 20% off the share plans.

I think you pretty much have to BYOD. I have been just buying and selling my phones on craigslist without a contract the past few years to keep my plan intact and stay month-to-month
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1952 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
r2edline wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:09 pm
I've had similar problems to you, have an old corp plan no longer offered. if I want to HUP i basically lose my plan, and got the same garbage offer of 20% off the share plans.

I think you pretty much have to BYOD. I have been just buying and selling my phones on craigslist without a contract the past few years to keep my plan intact and stay month-to-month
I am going to be going through this process soon... Does the business side not have Retentions?
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6479 posts
2816 upvotes
Markham
matradley wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 3:11 pm
I am going to be going through this process soon... Does the business side not have Retentions?
No retentions. You take what it is that they offer you or you don't. It's like this for all of them Rogers, Bell, and Telus.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1952 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
Anikiri wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 3:14 pm
No retentions. You take what it is that they offer you or you don't. It's like this for all of them Rogers, Bell, and Telus.
So a take it or leave it kind of deal. Sounds like they'll be losing my 2 lines very soon. The consumer side seems to allow for some room to make deals.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Feb 7, 2008
354 posts
141 upvotes
St Catharines
ak101 wrote:
- Visual Voicemail
- 5 GB data

I'm trying to do a HUP, but Rogers Direct is saying that this plan is discontinued and the best they can offer me is 20% off the current Share Everything Plans which does not come close to the features I have and the price I am paying. They won't offer me 30% or 35% off as others are saying on this thread. Additionally the HUP prices are high i.e. $399 for a iPhone 7 32GB or Google Pixel (on a 24 month agreement).

What are my options?
Agree with @r2edline's assessment - if you like the plan, keep it month-to-month and buy a phone outright (do the math depending on the hardware you want, it may still be cheaper in the long run, especially if you go for a generation-older phone, e.g. 6s vs 7) - be aware that Rogers has been increasing month-to-month corporate plans, so you may likely still lose out on your plan in the long-run. It might not be a bad idea to start investigating alternatives just-in-case.

I'll add that you can and should talk to your HR department first to see if there's any new corporate plans available to you (who knows, might be something good!) and/or if they have any partnerships with resellers who may have better plans than what Rogers is telling you (i.e. your company may have negotiated something with another carrier entirely now). To give you an idea, where I work we used to have great Rogers plans and when they stopped I found out I can get my union plan at Baka wireless (a Bell reseller) or Telus (via a reseller).

Other discounted/corporate avenues to look into (if applicable): union, professional associations, school/alumni plans, ...?..., but HR would be your best first-stop.

Best of luck and if you find anything good be sure to share it here!
~M
Dec 13, 2016
96 posts
10 upvotes
mgrimace wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 4:51 pm
I'll add that you can and should talk to your HR department first to see if there's any new corporate plans available to you (who knows, might be something good!) and/or if they have any partnerships with resellers who may have better plans than what Rogers is telling you (i.e. your company may have negotiated something with another carrier entirely now).
I would strongly suggest this as well - that's how I got my corporate plan originally. Our company has a dedicated Rogers rep, and if yours does they might be a bit easier to deal with. I've also gotten the "take it or leave it" experience when dealing directly with Rogers business reps.

If you decide to BYOD, there is also the advantage of staying month-to-month as opposed to signing a new contract. Should a better offer come along elsewhere you at least have the freedom to jump ship should you choose, rather than be committed for another two years if you HUP. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5867 posts
1602 upvotes
Montreal
ak101 wrote:
My current corp plan with Rogers is $65/mo. I'm with EY
Cpa Canada has 30% off share everything plans
ROGERS
Take advantage of this exclusive offer for all CPA Canada members. Sign up and get 30 per cent off your Share Everything plan. [Members/students only. Login required.]
HUP prices are high thanks to low canadian dollar, so prices increased on iPhone. Same $500 off rebate as before.

Telus corporate has $300 off extra for iPhone 7 and $400 off extra for other phones. new Telus clients. Maybe they have a deal with EY?