Cell Phones

Rogers Corporate Hardware Upgrade changed?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2012 11:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 24, 2005
18 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers Corporate Hardware Upgrade changed?

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question. I called Rogers Business line yesterday to inquire about a hardware upgrade on my Corporate account, knowing full well that I am already past the 24 month HUP requirement. The rep I got checked and said I had another 10 months to go - I asked him to check again (my 2 year anniversary date was August 2012!) After being put on hold while he checked, he came back with "apparently, as of Nov 5, ALL Corporate account HUP has been moved to 36 months, no exceptions".

Anyone else hear of this BS? I know for a fact there was no communication about a rate change from Rogers, but the rep went on to quote that a lot of big companies' contracts with Rogers is now the same way. I had wanted to spring for a Galaxy Note II as a HUP, but no bloody way I'm paying an extra $100 for an 'early HUP' when it would have cost me cost me $100 less had I called 4 days earlier!
16 replies
Sep 23, 2005
321 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
sounds like robbers.............. didn't they change the regular account HUP policies too on everyone mid stream from 30 to 36 then back to 24 then 30 then 36? lol. I seem to remember it was all over the place there for a bit.
Sep 27, 2003
7563 posts
1231 upvotes
Newmarket
You should actually be speaking to your designated corporate rep. It is the employer that negotiates the terms of the upgrade policy on a corporate account.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
[OP]
Jul 24, 2005
18 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Nigel: Yes, I am aware that Robbers exercises their right to change it whenever they feel like it. When I was talking to the rep, he himself said that he was not aware of this change - he was reading out the content of the agreement to me online, and it said 36month term, 24month HUP, and had to go ask (his manager presumably) why the system wasn't letting him go through with it.

WorldIRC: yeah, I will be sending him an email on Monday. Having said that, the actual details of the deal itself are posted online, and it clearly says 24 months for HUPs. That's why I was wondering if Rogers pulled another fast one.

Thanks for the comments...
Aug 17, 2009
541 posts
34 upvotes
afaik its still 24 months for HUP corporate. I was offered this recently when considering a plan change from reg to corporate, but with my exisiting plan and credits it beats the corporate plans. so i might do it once they expire and the renew offer isn't as good.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1279 posts
254 upvotes
My corporate site says 18 months but I never actually tried to HUP.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1630 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 11th, 2012 7:13 am
You should actually be speaking to your designated corporate rep. It is the employer that negotiates the terms of the upgrade policy on a corporate account.
This is exactly right.
The revenue and number of lines your company has from Robbers can heavily influence the HUP policy, rates.. really anything.
If you're really on a 3-year HUP bring it up with the procurement person at your company and ask them to make some noise about it.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2005
18 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
joo wrote:
Nov 11th, 2012 12:09 pm
This is exactly right.
The revenue and number of lines your company has from Robbers can heavily influence the HUP policy, rates.. really anything.
If you're really on a 3-year HUP bring it up with the procurement person at your company and ask them to make some noise about it.
I fully intend to do that! The thing that annoyed me though was just the fact that all the documentation online (at Rogers and the reseller servicing the company account) says 24 months, and there were no emails/SMS to indicate otherwise. Something else I could also do next week is call in and get another rep - see what comes out of it. Will post back to share the outcome of that.

Having gone through this little exercise though, I'm really re-evaluating the economics of staying with corporate accounts on the Big 3 and their HUPs, vs going Wind/Mobilicity and buying my own phone - three year contracts really do suck big time, but that's another rant/post! :razz:
Sep 23, 2005
321 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
drewski wrote:
Nov 11th, 2012 9:10 am
Nigel: Yes, I am aware that Robbers exercises their right to change it whenever they feel like it. When I was talking to the rep, he himself said that he was not aware of this change - he was reading out the content of the agreement to me online, and it said 36month term, 24month HUP, and had to go ask (his manager presumably) why the system wasn't letting him go through with it.

Thanks for the comments...
I am in complete agreeance with you. robbers loves to change the goal posts on consumers all the time but if you have a copy of your contract definitely fight it. My only point was I'm not surprised you are going through this trauma with them and I feel for you.
Sep 27, 2003
7563 posts
1231 upvotes
Newmarket
Industry standard for corporate is 24 month HUP policy on a 36 month renewal.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Jul 24, 2005
18 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Well, just to share my findings, here is the response I got back from our corporate fulfillment centre :
Rogers has changed the eligibility period however <company_name> is supposed to stay at 24 months for the upgrade.
Rogers is currently working on having this corrected for <company_name>, but until it is corrected in their system it shows 36 months.
I guess I'm stuck in the train station in Matrix Revolutions for now.. i.e. in limbo. :confused:
Nov 29, 2011
725 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
I'm going through this same thing. The salt on the wound to it all is I had my phone stolen in July and was waiting until the iPhone 5 release to decide whether I wanted to stay with Apple or try an Android. I decided on the Xperia T so was waiting until Nov 14, only to find out that I'm supposed to pay a $110 "early ugprade fee" which as of July was only $30 and only if within 2 years (Oct 2012 was 24 month date).

I'm also now in limbo trying to figure out what's going on.
Oct 19, 2009
421 posts
8 upvotes
I am in the same boat too. Called in Nov 1 and was told the early HUP fee for me is $60 but I want to wait for the Galaxy S3 price to come down before upgrading. However when I called yesterday and was told my early HUP fee is $240 instead.
Wondering how you guys make out of this...
Sep 27, 2003
7563 posts
1231 upvotes
Newmarket
The Early Upgrade program is not tied to your company's corporate agreement -- only the eligible upgrade program is.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9361 posts
1935 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 11th, 2012 7:13 am
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 7:14 am
The Early Upgrade program is not tied to your company's corporate agreement -- only the eligible upgrade program is.
This discussion reminds me of all of the BV comments on hofo about whether upgrade frequency is a material part of an agreement. While not written into any retail agreements, it certainly seems like it is considered material in the case of corporate contracts. If that is the case, then written term or not, why shouldn't a promise of a 24 month HUP be enforceable for a non-corporate customer?
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
× < >