Rogers customer - early upgrade changes

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2013 3:19 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2008
110 posts
26 upvotes
In Quebec, the Consumer Protection Act now prohibits any early upgrade fee that exceeds the tab, or rather, the outstanding cost of whatever incentive you received when you started your contract (ie the difference in the price of the phone minus what you actually paid for it, divided by the percentage of the term outstanding at the moment you call to cancel). As I understand it, they're not allow to charge anything above that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
There are some early HUP shenanigans going on at Rogers right now. I HUPed last year for an iPhone 5 at launch, and looked online at my FlexTab last month, which was about $33.00. I called in to do a HUP, and they said I had an Early Cancellation Fee of $500 (still on a three year contract at this point). I tweeted at their social media team, and the agreed to do a credit for the difference when I HUPed. So I just got a brand new Note 3 for promotional pricing + $33, and am now locked into a 2 year contract (yes, the same amount of time as before) with a $400 tab. So now might be a time to phone and see what you can get.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1019 posts
401 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
You can usually get ~ %50 off the early upgrade fee if you call retentions.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
I wonder about the 60$ Voice + data minimum for HUP.

I'm with Fido (Same thing right?) and I have a 25$ voice + 30 (6GB) data. The 6GB data doesn't exist anymore. If I HUP next year, will I risk losing the 6GB data when I'd change my voice plan? I hear about those no-longer-available add-ons getting deleted the moment you change something else on the account.
Nov 25, 2012
408 posts
1074 upvotes
North York
I believe Rogers changed their cancellation policy a while ago to $13/month. This is what I had to pay for last year when I used my brother's plan to get a new Note 2. There is one thing that people might be able to take advantage of is Reps might be able to waive the rest of your 3 year contract if you have less than 6 months left. I know this was possible last year so perhaps they still have it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
lol with all these BS pricing it seems like rogers is pushing its customers to just buy the device right out, but if customers begin to do that they might as well look to other budget providers like wind, etc.

paying 70$+ is apparently cheap when we were coming from $60 previous years... and you pay a couple hundred for the HUP + their cancellation fee which usually amounts to around $400+ that means you probably overpaid $2-300 bucks for your device.. just so you can pay another couple hundred to rinse and repeat..
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
It seems to me that the retail people see a different monthly subsidized amount than retention.

I was on a 3 year contract, $12.95 per month subsidy. The occasional check with Rogers' retail store or Best Buy now show the monthly subsidy is $20. With 20 months left, am I on the hooked for $400 or $260?

I'm also on a retention plan, until March, for $40 a month.

I think Telus has $50 a month plan, and even buy back of old phone. Should I pull the trigger?
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
Yeah rogers is tightening their belt a lot... i had posted this earlier:
porksoda wrote: Last year i bought out my subsidy + discounts and i paid $673.48 w taxes.
This year if i were to buy out my subsidy and upgrade i would be paying: $855.69 w taxes.

But wait, the new rule of having the voice and data component of the plan must be > $60 make the cost even higher. If I switch to a plan that is similar to my current plan then I would be paying $30.48 per month more ($365.71 yearly).

So in essence this year's phone upgrade's cost is: $1221.4 w taxes.
Buying unlocked from apple is: $1038.47 a savings of $182.93.

Initially my plan of ~ $60.00 gives them anywhere from $17-$32 for subsidy recovery, which translates to $612-$1152 over 3 years; but now a plan that is priced higher the subsidy recovery is $17-$32 + 27 which translates to $1056-$1416 over 2 years.
If you buy your own telephone then rogers gives you a break for 10% or $20 a month on plans (I think), which means they are STILL eating the subsidy recovery on the plan @ $24-$39 / month.
So when you calculate and punch in all the figures, this new crtc 2 year commitment is only good for the big 3 to suck more money out of us.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Carriers should get out of hardware sale completely. Let third party retailers sell or lease devices, which should all be factory unlocked. Carriers should just stick to selling services.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
Rogido wrote: Carriers should get out of hardware sale completely. Let third party retailers sell or lease devices, which should all be factory unlocked. Carriers should just stick to selling services.
That means they will lose out on thousands of dollars worth of revenue which isn't going to happen. The big three already pretend the 2 year contracts is something new, it was just a few years ago that was the norm.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
porksoda wrote: That means they will lose out on thousands of dollars worth of revenue which isn't going to happen. The big three already pretend the 2 year contracts is something new, it was just a few years ago that was the norm.
Except I'm not sure they make money selling subsidized hardware.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
Rogido wrote: Except I'm not sure they make money selling subsidized hardware.
Did you not read my post on hup calculations?

e.g: My telephone costs 399+tax on subsidy and 899+tax from apple directly. With rogers they would earn about $17-$32 for subsidy recovery per month, which translates to $612-$1152 over 3 years or with initial cost the total final cost would be $911-$1451 + taxes.

For this year the calculations are a bit different:

My telephone costs 429+tax on subsidy and 919+tax from apple directly. With rogers they would earn about $17-$32 + $27 for subsidy recovery per month, which translates to $1056-$1416 over 2 years or with initial cost the total final cost would be $1485-$1845 +taxes.

So explain to me how they don't make money on HUPs?!?!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)