• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2008 12:37 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1328 posts

Rogers Data Plan

Anybody has any story to share about Rogers Data Plan?

Someone at work was playing with my iphone...not sure how long the person was using it?...Anyway, long story short...just found out today that I owed rogers $900 on my account for all the data usage that was incurred.

Be careful using it even if you connect to your wireless router...rogers rep told me that it will switch to either 3G or EDGE when you're browsing with your iphone.

:idea: Rogers waived the $900 charges in one condition. I have to sign up on a 3 year Data Plan contract @ $30 a month.
11 replies
Temp. Banned
Feb 16, 2005
13610 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
you obviously need that plan, there's no way you friend did that much damage playing with it. I am trying to abuse it, used 120 megs since the 7th but I am not watching much u tube yet.

Kinda sounds like black mail but it is better to be safe then sorry... But I would still like to know how it got to 900$.... They charged my friend 400$ overage for evening minutes....even though he had early evening... After a few calls they did fix it, but we have to watch them! Do we need 6 gigs ? Not ever, but for 30$ you cannot go wrong IMO
driving to NS to move, be back in a weekish
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10913 posts
1064 upvotes
Mississauga
At a Rogers booth the guy said the most that has been incurred on a bill was over 100,000 dollars.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1328 posts
Wow that is outrageous :confused:
Apparently I incurred 2000kb @ 50cents per kb
I think this is rogers way of getting ppl to get the $30/month data plan
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1592 upvotes
well, if you got an iphone and didn't put a data plan then you're asking for it.

$900 bill, huh? Probably youtube videos... 3min on youtube = $25

i was actually charged approx $30 for calls... which didn't make any sense... they charged me airtime at 35
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
mosk2 wrote: Anybody has any story to share about Rogers Data Plan?

Someone at work was playing with my iphone...not sure how long the person was using it?...Anyway, long story short...just found out today that I owed rogers $900 on my account for all the data usage that was incurred.

Be careful using it even if you connect to your wireless router...rogers rep told me that it will switch to either 3G or EDGE when you're browsing with your iphone.

:idea: Rogers waived the $900 charges in one condition. I have to sign up on a 3 year Data Plan contract @ $30 a month.
That is because you did not tell Rogers to block your data. If you have done that and they have done that correctly, you will not get any data.

What Rogers Rep said was wrong, it won't swithch to 3G or EDGE if you are connecting to wifi. There is a symbol on your phone telling you what you are connecting to.

Getting an iPhone without a data plan or data block is asking for disaster like this.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1328 posts
yep...it was definitely youtube videos that the person at work was watching when I caught up with him but it was too late. He also used gps on my iphone. It could've been worst I guess, at least rogers waived the $900 charges incurred on my account...but I am now stuck on a 3 year data plan for an extra $30 month I really don't want to spend.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Overages: $900
$30/month*36months = $1080

Nice up-sell Robbers.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1328 posts
I hope everyone here can benefit from my experience...I found out the hard way.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1592 upvotes
Digital_Domain wrote: Overages: $900
$30/month*36months = $1080

Nice up-sell Robbers.
sure if you put it that way... if an average iphone user uses 2gb/month with out data plan...

2GB = 2048MB = 2 097 152KB

and if you're charged 5
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
CrazyJo82 wrote: so, up to the user... paying $30/month with 6GB to use... or continually pay these "accidental usage."
Except that's not the case here. They sound as if they don't want data. Of course if they did want any more than 60kb of data, by all means the $30 plan is fully recommended. To some it's a deal, to others it's just an expense providing no real value.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1328 posts
as per rogers cable...the average usage is 250mb/month