• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 1:42 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes

Rogers did credit check without consent

Hi RFD members
I want to bring into your notice that I ordered Rogers Internet on Saturday and talk to their representative
that I am existing Rogers and fido customer and I don’t want credit check and he assured me that credit check will not be done.
But I noticed that my credit check was done while I have not given consent for it
It hit my credit score
What I should do
Please help me
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25414 posts
2755 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There is really nothing you can do. You can't undo a credit check. Equifax and TransUnion are paid to deliver bad news.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
My credit score was hit and I talked to the escalation department Manager
He told me it was the issue at their end that the agent creating account did not verify the existing information
He told me that he would escalate this matter to the department which is responsible to contact with the credit reporting agencies and they may be able to remove it from the credit report
Jan 19, 2017
16 posts
14 upvotes
Bettercallsoul wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi RFD members
I want to bring into your notice that I ordered Rogers Internet on Saturday and talk to their representative
that I am existing Rogers and fido customer and I don’t want credit check and he assured me that credit check will not be done.
But I noticed that my credit check was done while I have not given consent for it
It hit my credit score
What I should do
Please help me
Just wondering how people know if they got checked so fast? Can you please give me an idea how to do it?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2533 posts
1133 upvotes
Calgaryish
Bettercallsoul wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 10:11 pm
It hit my credit score
What I should do
Please help me
Are you applying for a major loan or a mortgage? If so, is your credit borderline -- to the point where a difference of 5 or 10 points on your credit score would be the difference between getting a loan or not? If not, there's no point in worrying.

Watching short-term fluctuations in your credit score is pointless. The broader picture is that you should work to consistently reduce your debt over the long term. Pay your bills on time. Don't buy more than you can afford. Everything else will take care of itself.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
Dear Retrothing,

You are right about that we should manage our finances based on the affordability.
The question here is that they were not supposed to do the check when you are already their customer because you never know sometimes when you may need the credit.
Rogers have big data base they can search by name, date of birth and also by the address.
Even when i added line last time with Fido they told me that we see you are a roger customer so we will not do the credit check as usual.
Agent whom i was dealing for internet also said the credit check will not be done.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2706 posts
189 upvotes
Bettercallsoul wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:43 am
Dear Retrothing,

You are right about that we should manage our finances based on the affordability.
The question here is that they were not supposed to do the check when you are already their customer because you never know sometimes when you may need the credit.
Rogers have big data base they can search by name, date of birth and also by the address.
Even when i added line last time with Fido they told me that we see you are a roger customer so we will not do the credit check as usual.
Agent whom i was dealing for internet also said the credit check will not be done.
I was told that they have to do a check whenever you add any new service, even if you are already a customer.
Even if they did a check already the day before, if you decide to add a new service they would have to run a check again.

If 5 points makes or breaks your credit rating then you may have bigger fish to fry
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15786 posts
4690 upvotes
Ottawa
I took 5 credit hits since Apr...you have nothing to worry about.
My score actually increased on both Equifax and TransUnion.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1045 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
It is unacceptable for places to do a hard credit check without your approval. It’s not an issue of +/- 5 or 10 points. The whole credit agency thing is shrouded in mystery. People do get hurt for a 10 point difference. Moreover, all these hard checks may give the appearance that you are hunting for credit from too many places. A hard check either means something or it doesn’t. Hard to know since their whole predictive model is shrouded in mystery as though they are guarding the jewels of the universe.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5197 posts
998 upvotes
Montreal
pmcd wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:41 am
It is unacceptable for places to do a hard credit check without your approval. It’s not an issue of +/- 5 or 10 points. The whole credit agency thing is shrouded in mystery. People do get hurt for a 10 point difference. Moreover, all these hard checks may give the appearance that you are hunting for credit from too many places. A hard check either means something or it doesn’t. Hard to know since their whole predictive model is shrouded in mystery as though they are guarding the jewels of the universe.
Adjudicators won't view a hard hit from Rogers as credit seeking.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
What exactly is the difference between a hardcredit check and a soft credit check?
I sort of undrstand that a hard check affects your credit score but a soft one does not - but what is the different nformation the company doing the credit check gets?

Last time I wanted to open a bank account and they wanted to do a credit check, the bank rep said she never heard of hard vs soft credit checks.
Aug 13, 2017
60 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond, BC
krs wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:10 pm
What exactly is the difference between a hardcredit check and a soft credit check?
I sort of undrstand that a hard check affects your credit score but a soft one does not - but what is the different nformation the company doing the credit check gets?

Last time I wanted to open a bank account and they wanted to do a credit check, the bank rep said she never heard of hard vs soft credit checks.
might want to go with a new bank :O
1. Find a deal
2. Price Match at a competitor
3. Buy gift cards at a discount for said competitor

The "RFD Natural Hat Trick"
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1045 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 10:18 am
Adjudicators won't view a hard hit from Rogers as credit seeking.
Well then why does the credit score drop? The score either means something or it doesn’t. It is being used for so many important situations that to dismiss this drop is odd. Sure it won’t affect most people as it only lasts a few months. But it will affect some and that’s not acceptable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)