• Nov 4th, 2017 1:42 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5191 posts
997 upvotes
Montreal
pmcd wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:53 pm
Well then why does the credit score drop? The score either means something or it doesn’t. It is being used for so many important situations that to dismiss this drop is odd. Sure it won’t affect most people as it only lasts a few months. But it will affect some and that’s not acceptable.
More often than not, the score actually doesn't mean much. Credit is never initially granted on score alone. Your score may get you a pre-approval, but an adjudicator will look at your full credit history if you make an application. And an adjudicator will view a hard hit from a cell phone provider differently than a hard hit from a bank.

I'd suspect, but can't confirm, that the credit bureaus algorithms might even treat them differently as well.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
So finally rogers escalation department agreed that they will ask the credit monitoring agency to remove the inquiry
I am waiting to get it removed from the file.
Hard credit check will hit your score while any soft query will not change the score
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3026 posts
172 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
syn3rgetic2 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:14 pm
might want to go with a new bank :O
I did, but that didn't answer my question
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5191 posts
997 upvotes
Montreal
krs wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:10 pm
What exactly is the difference between a hardcredit check and a soft credit check?
I sort of undrstand that a hard check affects your credit score but a soft one does not - but what is the different nformation the company doing the credit check gets?

Last time I wanted to open a bank account and they wanted to do a credit check, the bank rep said she never heard of hard vs soft credit checks.
A hard check is to indicate that you are seeking some sort of credit (ex. applying for a credit card or loan). A soft check can either be done for non-lending purposes (ex. by a prospective landlord or employer) or when you're pre-approved for credit (ex. a credit limit increase offer on an existing card). Checking your own credit history is also a soft hit.
Dec 17, 2010
344 posts
124 upvotes
Bettercallsoul wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 9:02 pm
So finally rogers escalation department agreed that they will ask the credit monitoring agency to remove the inquiry
I am waiting to get it removed from the file.
Hard credit check will hit your score while any soft query will not change the score
I'm pretty sure cellphone companies only do a soft credit check. And the reason why they do a credit check is whenever you add a new device, they must inquire that your credit is in a good state. Your credit could be superb when you started with them but maybe 5 years down the road, it could be total poop.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3026 posts
172 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
psyko514 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:27 am
A hard check is to indicate that you are seeking some sort of credit (ex. applying for a credit card or loan). A soft check can either be done for non-lending purposes (ex. by a prospective landlord or employer) or when you're pre-approved for credit (ex. a credit limit increase offer on an existing card). Checking your own credit history is also a soft hit.
Thanks - that is what I was thinking but I wanted some confirmation.

So the information the company receives from the Credit Bureau is the same for a hard check or a soft check - or does a hard check provide more info to the company inquiring.

And a second question - is there a different way to request a hard check vs a soft check?
How does the credit bureau know if it is a hard check rather than a soft check?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2798 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:59 am
There is really nothing you can do. You can't undo a credit check. Equifax and TransUnion are paid to deliver bad news.
That's not true. I had the same thing happen to me by them, and after escalating to the Office of the President they sent an amendment to the credit bureau for the hit to be removed - and it was.

OP - I'd do the same. They'll review the call recording, and once confirmed that you had asked/it wasn't disclosed, they can do the same for you.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare