None
[OP]
Dec 29, 2006
586 posts
64 upvotes

[Rogers] Rogers Digital Cable Box Explorer E940 $50

http://www.amcall.com/toronto/personal_tv.php

Offer valid until July 14, 2008.

Good price for a simple SD Cable Box as a secondary device.

Mine looks similar to this one.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2020 posts
56 upvotes
These are the low end digital boxes...

Better off waiting for a sale on the bigger, better ones with the clock on the front.

Edit: the one they picture is one of the newer ones not the old crappy one pictured above ;) So if it's a newer box, ignore my comment
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5230 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga
E940 is a el' cheapo box that gets hot! my parents have one for free for 1 yr (part of their new install deal), but as another poster said, wait for a deal on an SD box with a clock lol... we bought an SA3200 for -$50 (yes we made money off of it) from futureshop before... so definitely wait for a deal...

edit: it gets hot even when it's off!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1407 posts
6 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote:
Jul 5th, 2008 3:21 pm
E940 is a el' cheapo box that gets hot! my parents have one for free for 1 yr (part of their new install deal), but as another poster said, wait for a deal on an SD box with a clock lol... we bought an SA3200 for -$50 (yes we made money off of it) from futureshop before... so definitely wait for a deal...

edit: it gets hot even when it's off!
how did you get the SA3200 for -$50? I'd like to get in on that deal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5230 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga
sorry i shouldn't say 'made money off of it' per se...

it was when FS at empress walk opened, they had that box for $99 and there was $100 in programming credits so the box was essentially free... then they were handing out those opening day gc's and we got one for $50 so we used it and still got the $100 in programming credits
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1407 posts
6 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote:
Jul 5th, 2008 4:20 pm
sorry i shouldn't say 'made money off of it' per se...

it was when FS at empress walk opened, they had that box for $99 and there was $100 in programming credits so the box was essentially free... then they were handing out those opening day gc's and we got one for $50 so we used it and still got the $100 in programming credits
do they still have those programming credits available? how often do those come around? I'm hoping to get some SD and maybe even an HD box.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2942 posts
277 upvotes
The E940 (pictured above) is the new digital-only model, you won't find the SD ones with clocks anymore because they cost a hell of a lot more for Rogers...

There is no real benefit to the ones with the clock-
The 1840 (the most recent clock one) had the same connectors as the E940
The 2000 and 3000 had digital audio outputs, but there are only about 10 non-HD channels that are capable of more than Stereo anyways.

The only ones with clocks you'll be able to get is the 3250HD/4250HD, both of which are $199/$249/$299 (depending where you buy), but they're High Definition so you won't be able to get them for $50 for a long time.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2006
586 posts
64 upvotes
After connected the E940 to my LCD TV through S-Video, the picture/sound quality of those analog channels have improved significantly, much better than the TV's built in tuner.

FYI, I bought this at store for $56.50 cash.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2215 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
I cannot read the Chinese parts of the ad. The English part says that "Customer must activate the digital box on their cable account in order to be eligible for this offer." That makes me wonder if $50 is a net cost after "programming credits". TSCC pulls this trick. I call it a trick because the credits are useless to me so the real price is higher.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2006
586 posts
64 upvotes
Hugh wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 4:51 am
I cannot read the Chinese parts of the ad. The English part says that "Customer must activate the digital box on their cable account in order to be eligible for this offer." That makes me wonder if $50 is a net cost after "programming credits". TSCC pulls this trick. I call it a trick because the credits are useless to me so the real price is higher.
I paid $56.50 cash upfront like buying an accessory. In order to get this promotion price, it must be activiated at store during this period. Also AFAIK, I didn't receive any programming credits and my VIP monthly rate has not changed (I asked the salesperson about this several times and confirmed with the Rogers CSR on the phone during activation). I will report back once I received my monthly statement.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2265 posts
64 upvotes
The Source messed up our programming credit. We picked up a 4250 for $178 and a 940 for $50. There was a $120 programming credit promo going on. The Rogers people messed up our account to begin with. Hubby took back the free rental 3250 to the Rogers store and they canceled our digital services. Somehow put us back on analog! After 4 phone calls and having about 6 channels for about 12 hours, we finally got the boxes to work. But we are only being credited for 2 theme packs for 3 months. Doesn't come to $120. So hubby has to call and complain to them. My sister works for rogers so she looked up the promo and said the Source was advertising a promo that was not showing up as current in their Rogers computers. She's had her job for awhile so knows how to dig up the information. So she said we need to copy our receipts since the programming credits are on the receipts. Because I'm family she can't directly help me.
Jul 4, 2005
10 posts
Thanks OP! Was waiting to get an additional cable box in this price range.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4845 posts
233 upvotes
Is there additional fee of using another box in my house? I already have the VIP package with a HDTV box rental. This box would be nice for my bedroom TV.
Dec 4, 2004
179 posts
3 upvotes
Kitchener
I bought this unit back around Christmas for $49.99 at The Source. It came with a $50 programming credit which resulted in a net cost of $0 (except for taxes).

The only problem was when I tried to register it with Rogers they indicated it was a used unit that was registered to someone else's service already. We cleared up the problem and now we have three digital terminals in the house...two of the old ones with the time on the front and one of these smaller units. We own one of the older and this unit while I believe the conditions of the VIP membership states that one of the units must be rented. Conditions may have changed .... I find they change frequently with Rogers :)
Jul 1, 2008
219 posts
11 upvotes
golden wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 1:19 pm
Is there additional fee of using another box in my house? I already have the VIP package with a HDTV box rental. This box would be nice for my bedroom TV.
If you don't tell Robers about it, or if your outlets have service already, then yes, it's free to use. Otherwise, they'll charge you for having 2 active outlets.
By "active outlets", I mean, if each cable connection in your house runs out to the rogers box on the outside, and each of them is connected in that BY ROGERS, then you're already paying for it and yes you can use this box.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, or if you split the cable yourself, you're probably not "allowed".

I believe with your VIP package, you're "allowed" to have 5 outlets hooked up, but you might want to check that?

I still don't understand how rogers gets away with this robbery....
× < >