• Jan 5th, 2009 9:36 am
Tags:
None
Dec 7, 2005
295 posts
7 upvotes

Rogers and extra charges for extra tvs?

Hi,

Wondering if Rogers charges more if they know I have more than 1 tv in the house?? I heard that somewhere and not sure...but since our newly purchased second tv doesn't seem to be getting channels properly, wondering if I can call them for the service or if it'll cost me more in the end!! :confused:

Anyone??
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
They charge $6.99 for up to 3 extra outlets (4 in total) unless you subscribe to VIP - that includes a total of 4 outlets.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
275 upvotes
They do. But if you know someone, you could get the outlet installed to get away with paying extra. IF someone from Rogers come to inspect, just unplug it. My friend once sucked up the contractor from Rogers and got it installed for free, maybe you could take a chance?
;)
Aug 14, 2004
330 posts
188 upvotes
Burnaby
if you hav basic cable then yes they charge for additional outlets if you have classic cable then no.

split the cable with a 2 way and run a line
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
Song wrote: but since our newly purchased second tv doesn't seem to be getting channels properly, wondering if I can call them for the service or if it'll cost me more in the end!! :confused:
So you have a second 'illegal' TV setup, not getting good reception on it and you want to call Rogers to come and fix it?

What are you going to say when you call?

If it was a case of a cable guy already being at your house for something, you may have a chance at a freebie, but to just call them is pushing it.
Oct 24, 2008
26 posts
sillysimms wrote: They charge $6.99 for up to 3 extra outlets (4 in total) unless you subscribe to VIP - that includes a total of 4 outlets.
Is that $6.99 per extra outlet? or $6.99 for up to 3 extra. Moving into a new place and was just wondering about adding a tv or two, like one in the kitchen and one downstairs.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
Prov1 wrote: Is that $6.99 per extra outlet? or $6.99 for up to 3 extra. Moving into a new place and was just wondering about adding a tv or two, like one in the kitchen and one downstairs.

$6.99 covers the 3 outlets, but only on the VIP packs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Prov1 wrote: Is that $6.99 per extra outlet? or $6.99 for up to 3 extra. Moving into a new place and was just wondering about adding a tv or two, like one in the kitchen and one downstairs.
It is $6.99 for up to 3 extra outlets (4 in total) - not $6.99 per outlet.
Hugh Jass wrote: $6.99 covers the 3 outlets, but only on the VIP packs.
No, the VIP includes 4 outlets already in the VIP package. The $6.99 fee is only charged if you're not on a VIP package and have extra outlets that Rogers knows about.

Not sure if this link will work, but I've copied and pasted. You can find this answer by going to the FAQ section on rogers.com and search for "outlet" in the cable FAQs.

http://rogers.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/roge ... _topview=1

What is the monthly rate for an extra outlet?

Extra Outlet Monthly Rate.

Answer
Your cable subscription includes the first outlet. The monthly rate for up to three extra outlets is $6.99 plus taxes.
Dec 7, 2005
295 posts
7 upvotes
who knew cable could be so "illegal"?
Dec 3, 2008
85 posts
1 upvote
Hugh Jass wrote: So you have a second 'illegal' TV setup, not getting good reception on it and you want to call Rogers to come and fix it?

What are you going to say when you call?

If it was a case of a cable guy already being at your house for something, you may have a chance at a freebie, but to just call them is pushing it.
second illegal tv just because rogers wants to charge per TV set? you must work for rogers, you tool. theres no law saying you can't split coaxial cables, in fact theres standards around this. i could see an issue if this were digtal cable and you were hooking up an illegal digital cable box.

basicly it doesnt cost rogers any extra money to broadcast to your house with more than one tv. they are just price gouging.

even bell doesnt charge you for additional jacks as long as you do it yourself, they even e-mail directions if you don't know how.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
Ender2070 wrote: second illegal tv just because rogers wants to charge per TV set? you must work for rogers, you tool. theres no law saying you can't split coaxial cables, in fact theres standards around this.

That's why I put ' ' around illegal, you tool :)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Ender2070 wrote: second illegal tv just because rogers wants to charge per TV set? you must work for rogers, you tool. theres no law saying you can't split coaxial cables, in fact theres standards around this. i could see an issue if this were digtal cable and you were hooking up an illegal digital cable box.

basicly it doesnt cost rogers any extra money to broadcast to your house with more than one tv. they are just price gouging.

even bell doesnt charge you for additional jacks as long as you do it yourself, they even e-mail directions if you don't know how.
No matter how many bell outlets you have, you can only call one person, How could they charge more? Following your logic with multiple cable outlets, do you think Rogers pays $.75 cents a month for a channel and then sells it 3 million times and keeps the money? How would the content producer get paid. How would the content supplier to Rogers get paid? Would not the content producer want to get paid per location that their channel appears?

Would not the provider to Rogers (HBO etc.) want to get paid monthly as well? Wouldn't having more cable subscribers strain the network with noise and cause more repair visits (for outlets Rogers never installed, or possibly troubles to the network caused by improperly installed outlets)?

Following this logic, why don't I get full Rogers cable and distribute it through the backyards to my neighbours and charge them half price?

I want to know the "standards" of which you speak please. The curiosity is killing me (and others).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
Rogers is leaving their eyes half open with this issue. THey know once FULL digital signal is in place, these free rides are over. You need a digital box per tv. :(