Expired Hot Deals

[Rogers] Rogers Extreme Internet $45 for 8 years

Mar 4, 2009
533 posts
180 upvotes
Ottawa
jperras wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 6:18 pm
I am desperately trying to get this deal, no luck so far. Currently they have me "locked in" for about 2 years on the 12Mbps/512kpbs plan with 300GB limit. When I originally agreed to the 2 year lock in, I was told that I am free to switch between different internet plans within the 2 years but would lose the 300GB limit by doing so. I was also never informed I would get such crappy speeds (especially the upload, I'm trying to run VOIP) and was led to believe I'd be getting the same speed as Rogers Express at the time I agreed to this 2 year lock in. I was lied to and now I'm stuck for 2 whole years before I can update my crappy upload speed how insane is this? I have no choice but to consider paying the cancellation fees now.
I was in a very similar situation to you, except my contract was up in 2 months. But I had the same problem with the upload speed sucking on the 300 GB plan. As I posted about before, I spent 2 hours arguing between customer care and tech support about the 512 kbps upload. If you look at the Express package on the Rogers website, it says the upload speed is 2mbps, so that's what I used as my bargaining chip. I suggest you call back and ask them to switch you to another plan, as promised, and when they say no you should say you want to cancel so you get transferred to retentions. I'd tell them that you heard about the $45 plan, and you'd be interested in switching to that, and if they say no then say you're going to switch to Teksavvy's $48 plan (cable 28?). If they still say no, then I would say you'll think about it, hang up and try again. If you keep trying you should be able to get the $45 plan.
Oct 18, 2005
542 posts
89 upvotes
Thornhill
For those existing customers getting this deal, are you calling Rogers Sales? Billing? Cancel service? Reg CSR?
Seems like a hit/miss depending on the CSR
Aug 8, 2003
895 posts
69 upvotes
Ontario
Spoke to retention's and got this deal without much of a fight. Just be nice
Mar 13, 2004
176 posts
31 upvotes
Just to report that I already have a disconnection date set for Mar 5 (when the current 8 month promotion finishes) and I just called the cancellation option again. The lady over the phone was very nice and did a re-connection for me on the new plan without any pushing. Just be nice.

Can I just go to a Rogers store to have my modem upgraded or I have to call again to make an arrangement first? Forgot to ask the lady.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2002
1817 posts
120 upvotes
just called and they would not give the $45 Extreme promo due to having other Rogers services (Cable & home phone). Tried convincing the Rep that I knew others who had received the promo and currently had other Rogers services, but she was very insistant that those folks should not have received it and that her the Supervisor would not approve it. Whatever! > :(

BUT she instead offered a different promo that was nearly the same price but expired after 1 year. It included:

- 120GB (an additional 20GB from our current plan)
- "Extreme" speed at 35mbs download (up from our current Express)
- free wifi modem (now save $7)
- 30% discount off current regular pricing
- pricing only good for 1 year :(
Total Price = $45.49 (+ tax)

8 years would have been better but this is good enough for me for now. Don't really need 200GB's anyways as our monthly average is only 60GB... and simply can't be bothered arguing over 50 cents a month.

Thanks OP - I figure I'll save about $250 a year on this new internet pricing.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2002
1817 posts
120 upvotes
Any one notice that on your January 2013 Rogers invoice they provided notices for package increases?
For us it is a $3 increase on Internet and $1.50 on TV Cable for a total increase of $4.50 per month ($54 per year).

I wonder if the new promo deal I just recieved today will get hit with an increase?!?
Banned
Jan 26, 2011
762 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
cutesnoopydoll wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 9:54 am
How do you know for sure?
When I worked for Rogers we were only able to add 1 promo at a time on any of the individual services.

You may be able to keep certain credits, but there's no way to combine both of those discounts.

30% off $45 internet would be pretty nice, but we're not living in the 1990's.
WARNING: I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR NON DEAL POSTERS. CHECK OUT MY RFD T-SHIRT. I AM THE DEAL MASTER.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5893 posts
2727 upvotes
Markham
Deafmented wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 1:56 pm
When I worked for Rogers we were only able to add 1 promo at a time on any of the individual services.

You may be able to keep certain credits, but there's no way to combine both of those discounts.

30% off $45 internet would be pretty nice, but we're not living in the 1990's.
Your right about the 1990's. It's 2010's so Robbers should be doing 50% off $45 :-0
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4915 posts
5707 upvotes
Just called in to switch my home phone plan to the $10 one from the other thread, and also get this $45 extreme plan. This is just my first try and no question asked! I have all 4 services with Rogers for 6+ years already.

I called *611 -> Account Changes -> Cancel Service
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Feb 2, 2012
318 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. OP. Got this deal at my first try, and no question asked.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1348 posts
46 upvotes
i JUST talked to rogers retention and the contract term is 8 years and cancellation fee is $200/year for a potential charge of $1600. :( I am thinking that 200gb will be obsolete in a few years. So is it really a good deal?
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1712 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
hammer wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 2:49 pm
i JUST talked to rogers retention and the contract term is 8 years and cancellation fee is $200/year for a potential charge of $1600. :( I am thinking that 200gb will be obsolete in a few years. So is it really a good deal?
Whoever told you that is an idiot. It's NO CONTRACT, 8 years *price protection*. There shouldn't be any sort of cancellation fee at all, since they're not really subsidizing anything for you.
Apr 22, 2009
619 posts
331 upvotes
Ottawa
generaltao99 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 2:50 pm
Whoever told you that is an idiot. It's NO CONTRACT, 8 years *price protection*. There shouldn't be any sort of cancellation fee at all, since they're not really subsidizing anything for you.
+1
Oct 18, 2005
542 posts
89 upvotes
Thornhill
just called and couldn't switch. I am currently on contract, with 25% off cable and internet. Rep said since I already have a promo, she can't add me to this promo......I may try again tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1348 posts
46 upvotes
generaltao99 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 2:50 pm
Talked to agent number 2. It IS a contract and you need to pay $20/month penalty or $200/year max.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate