Expired Hot Deals

[Rogers] Rogers Extreme Internet $45 for 8 years

Feb 9, 2012
101 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
Just an update from me:
I signed up for the $45 extreme 35/3 120gb + bonus 80gb bandwidth, free modem rental for 45$ through Steve months ago for my new house I moved into this weekend. I prefer to use my own router (Asus RT-n66u) so I can't comment on the built in router/wifi with the modem, but the speed is blazing fast. I'm getting my full 35/3 (using ftp, not speedtest+speedboost).

Online billing shows the correct amount:

Hi-Speed Extreme + 80GB $84.99
Savings: Internet Discount $-39.99
Enhanced Wi-Fi Modem Rental $8.00
Savings: Internet Discount $-8.0
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2610 posts
1424 upvotes
GTA
New Hitron modem is C.. p. Rogers knows that very well, call them to switch it to bridge mode and use good dual band router. Problem solved, not much you can do with supplied router...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8100 posts
1730 upvotes
Ontario
Tommy74 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2013 4:07 pm
New Hitron modem is C.. p. Rogers knows that very well, call them to switch it to bridge mode and use good dual band router. Problem solved, not much you can do with supplied router...
Switch to bridge mode, easy instructions?
I have mine hooked up to a Linksys and never did anything (just plugged it in) - and everything still works.

Does that mean my performance could be suffering as a result? I haven't noticed anything, but if setting up bridge mode is optimal....
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10559 posts
2770 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
onlineharvest wrote:
Mar 20th, 2013 4:09 pm
Switch to bridge mode, easy instructions?
I have mine hooked up to a Linksys and never did anything (just plugged it in) - and everything still works.

Does that mean my performance could be suffering as a result? I haven't noticed anything, but if setting up bridge mode is optimal....
http://www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/7431
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Dec 28, 2007
86 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks TripleHelix and xxBrazilizn.. for the suggestion.

I knew and leaning towards getting a router and now will do that after tech's visit tonight, lets see what he has to say and do. The hard thing for me to swallow is that Bell modem is working fine with wifi at the same spot. Roger should get better or comparable working hardware, they are about to replace this Hitron modem next month (store csr told me) with new one, lets see what they get this time.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15326 posts
1246 upvotes
Scarborough
bangan wrote:
Mar 20th, 2013 6:50 pm
Thanks TripleHelix and xxBrazilizn.. for the suggestion.

I knew and leaning towards getting a router and now will do that after tech's visit tonight, lets see what he has to say and do. The hard thing for me to swallow is that Bell modem is working fine with wifi at the same spot. Roger should get better or comparable working hardware, they are about to replace this Hitron modem next month (store csr told me) with new one, lets see what they get this time.

Thanks.
with all due respect, your logic is flawed...
i don't doubt your claim that the bell modem is working better than the rogers in the same spot. but let's break this sentence down.

HOW do you know it's working better? are you connecting via wifi? let's break THIS down further...

wifi is wifi right? nope. you need to tune your wifi. every characteristic of wifi can affect your wifi experience. from the authentication protocol you choose, to the channel you're on, to whether you're running 20Mhz or 40Mhz...

I'm not defending rogers saying they gave you good equipment, in fact, you may very well be correct that rogers stuff is ***** . but you can't really conclude that without tuning your stuff.

for me, the rogers d3gn modem actually gives me a stronger wifi signal than my WRT610N router. but the lack of tuning capabilities (or that i've found yet) on the rogers modem actually limits me to about 25Mbps download whereas when I'm connected to my WRT router I'm getting 55-75.

isolate the problems one at a time before you start making bold statements. this will help you in life whether in school or at work. plug your computer directly into the modem first and see what sort of speeds you're getting, thus isolating the modem performance and finding out what the max speed you can get is. then introduce one variable at a time to see how that affects your connection speed.
CHINESE IPTV APP AND BOX FREE TRIAL:IPTV Group Buy
Jun 27, 2010
421 posts
95 upvotes
Mississauga
Got W35 today with manager override from retentions.

Got denied on W45
Sep 23, 2009
268 posts
24 upvotes
Rogers Tech just left...set me up w/ W45 internet and home phone.

First speed test (at 11am -- is that considered a peak period when cable is supposed to be slow?) shows 33 mbps down and 2.9 mbps up vs. a promised 35/3. Seems decent thus far.

Now...to await the real test...how screwed up is my first bill going to be???
Jul 10, 2011
51 posts
1 upvote
MISSISSAUGA
andr3w282 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2013 1:17 pm
Just an update from me:
I signed up for the $45 extreme 35/3 120gb + bonus 80gb bandwidth, free modem rental for 45$ through Steve months ago for my new house I moved into this weekend. I prefer to use my own router (Asus RT-n66u) so I can't comment on the built in router/wifi with the modem, but the speed is blazing fast. I'm getting my full 35/3 (using ftp, not speedtest+speedboost).

Online billing shows the correct amount:

Hi-Speed Extreme + 80GB $84.99
Savings: Internet Discount $-39.99
Enhanced Wi-Fi Modem Rental $8.00
Savings: Internet Discount $-8.0
Hi Andr2w282,

I just got on with $45, and I have Asus RT-ac66u Router. When I picked up new rogers modem came with WIFI, do you know how to disable the router part of that modem and just use it as cable modem.

your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11712 posts
3755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MaxwellMcGee wrote:
Mar 21st, 2013 11:20 am
Rogers Tech just left...set me up w/ W45 internet and home phone.

First speed test (at 11am -- is that considered a peak period when cable is supposed to be slow?) shows 33 mbps down and 2.9 mbps up vs. a promised 35/3. Seems decent thus far.

Now...to await the real test...how screwed up is my first bill going to be???
I would think peak usage would be in the evenings...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5123 posts
1158 upvotes
Kanata
digitalyogi wrote:
Mar 21st, 2013 11:44 am
Hi Andr2w282,

I just got on with $45, and I have Asus RT-ac66u Router. When I picked up new rogers modem came with WIFI, do you know how to disable the router part of that modem and just use it as cable modem.

Cheers!
You can call Rogers and they'll put it in bridge mode.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11712 posts
3755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
digitalyogi wrote:
Mar 21st, 2013 11:44 am
Hi Andr2w282,

Cheers!
Look 5 posts above yours :-)

http://www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/7431
Jul 10, 2011
51 posts
1 upvote
MISSISSAUGA
Tabooger wrote:
Mar 21st, 2013 11:45 am
Excellent, Thank you Tabooger
Jun 27, 2010
421 posts
95 upvotes
Mississauga
Tabooger wrote:
Mar 21st, 2013 11:45 am
login to your modem 192.168.100.1. g
google your default password for your model
change from router to bridge mode.