[Rogers] Rogers Extreme Internet $45 for 8 years

Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8700 posts
6392 upvotes
Markham
MaxwellMcGee wrote:
Apr 19th, 2013 9:51 am
I've received my first bill now, but I still have a bad feeling about everything. Does anyone know where *in writing* it states that the price is guaranteed for 8 years?

I've been told this verbally multiple times, but as per the comments above, I just don't trust Rogers.
Buddy this is Rogers. You know that guy who ripped off everybody in your neighborhood. That guy who charged your mother $55 dollars for 50min daytime, and 50txt a month? This is Rogers.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, you can do when they raise prices. And trust me they will. Once they raise prices by say $5, you can call in and cancel. But that is about all you can do. This is Rogers man. It's like going to a shady fourth world country and hiring a hooker. YOU know it's a bad idea, but it is just so cheap... right now.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20459 posts
1930 upvotes
Toronto
hello2adi wrote:
Eventually when i called this morning, I ended up cancelling my internet with Rogers as the retentions was not ready to budge and i was fed up.

There is a 30 day notice period for cancellation.

My question is, should I try calling them again and see if they can offer me W45 or should I just forget about it and go Techsavvy (hate the fact that I will have to pay the setup & modem fee to them)?
I also called Teksavvy to inquire about their services and they did mention that if you do sign up with them and are canceling from Rogers - get a confirmed cancel date from Rogers and inform Teksavvy with this date and you won't have to pay the cable move fee ($65)
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 19th, 2013 11:33 am
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, you can do when they raise prices. And trust me they will. Once they raise prices by say $5, you can call in and cancel. But that is about all you can do. This is Rogers man. It's like going to a shady fourth world country and hiring a hooker. YOU know it's a bad idea, but it is just so cheap... right now.
bwhahahahah...man, this made me lol!!
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10656 posts
2891 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
MaxwellMcGee wrote:
I've received my first bill now, but I still have a bad feeling about everything. Does anyone know where *in writing* it states that the price is guaranteed for 8 years?

I've been told this verbally multiple times, but as per the comments above, I just don't trust Rogers.
In your mind, what difference does getting it in writing make? I'm not being facetious. I really wonder why people think it helps. If Rogers wants to raise rates at any time, whether it is writing or not, you have no recourse but walking away or accepting it.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jun 6, 2008
304 posts
31 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Apr 19th, 2013 11:38 am
I also called Teksavvy to inquire about their services and they did mention that if you do sign up with them and are canceling from Rogers - get a confirmed cancel date from Rogers and inform Teksavvy with this date and you won't have to pay the cable move fee ($65)
Thanks man. I will wait a couple of days and then call Rogers again first to see if they give me the promo.
If not I am calling Teksavvy and mention the cancellation of my rogers internet like you mentioned. Hope they wave the cable move fee.
Banned
Mar 23, 2012
773 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
wow...

Now I know why they call this company Robbers... Instead of switching me to the W45 + 10$ for unl, I got switched to a regular unl plan. So I spend 40 mins talking to Retentions to get it fixed and the dude denies any knowledge of a W45 plan still being available... Then he puts me on hold, and miraculously it is available! But only by another department... FIGURES.

On the bright side, the person I'm talking to now is great, and is trying to fix the issue. Will update when its resolved...

What an absolute joke of a company.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
Heero01 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 2:18 pm
wow...

Now I know why they call this company Robbers... Instead of switching me to the W45 + 10$ for unl, I got switched to a regular unl plan. So I spend 40 mins talking to Retentions to get it fixed and the dude denies any knowledge of a W45 plan still being available... Then he puts me on hold, and miraculously it is available! But only by another department... FIGURES.

On the bright side, the person I'm talking to now is great, and is trying to fix the issue. Will update when its resolved...

What an absolute joke of a company.
it all depends on the rogers rep you get on the phone that determines this, some will help you get what you want and others won't YMMV
its the luck of the draw i guess or if you want to waste all day calling in and try to win the lottery :lol:
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Banned
Mar 23, 2012
773 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
mikka1989 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 3:34 pm
it all depends on the rogers rep you get on the phone that determines this, some will help you get what you want and others won't YMMV
its the luck of the draw i guess or if you want to waste all day calling in and try to win the lottery :lol:
Yea... just resolved the issue. Ended up getting on the 35 +unlimited for 45$. WUQA Code. As a concession tho I got the activation fee credited (along with install). So not bad I guess.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2028 posts
373 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
MaxwellMcGee wrote:

you don't need to trust them maxwellmcgee.. they will do what they want (see my linked post below) in regards to their terms. it's just a question of when
ceredon wrote:
Apr 19th, 2013 11:55 am
In your mind, what difference does getting it in writing make? I'm not being facetious. I really wonder why people think it helps. If Rogers wants to raise rates at any time, whether it is writing or not, you have no recourse but walking away or accepting it.
like I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread on page 15 post #212, they have the right to change whatever they want, at will, including their rates and the terms of their terms :lol:

here's the fine print from Rogers terms of service

Unless otherwise specified in a Service Agreement, we may change, at any time, any charges, features, content, functionality, structure or any other aspects of the Month-to-Month Services or the Term Services, as well as any term or provision of a Service Agreement, upon notice to you by bill message, text message, letter or e-mail. If you do not accept such change, your sole remedy is to terminate the affected Services or Service Agreement within 30 days of your receipt of our notice of change (unless we specify a different notice period), by providing us with advance notice of termination pursuant to Section 34.

it doesn't get much clearer than that
Woodstock, ON
Apr 12, 2006
75 posts
2 upvotes
When I was making a deal with Rogers sales rep by number specified in the first post I was speaking to a guy. He promised me that he would wave $60 (installation + activation) fee and I would have to call back the same number after receiving first bill.
I was trying for several days but no human answering the phone.
After all I called normal Support phone and lady on the phone told that there is no note on my account that fee should be waived and she cannot wave it.
More that that she told that I spoke to Kate "usually girl's name" 8-)
So it looks like the guy who opened account simply lied. In such case they can promise whatever they want without leaving note.
Shame Rogers. First impression is very bad.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10656 posts
2891 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
crashxxx wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 11:00 am
you don't need to trust them maxwellmcgee.. they will do what they want (see my linked post below) in regards to their terms. it's just a question of when

like I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread on page 15 post #212, they have the right to change whatever they want, at will, including their rates and the terms of their terms :lol:

here's the fine print from Rogers terms of service

Unless otherwise specified in a Service Agreement, we may change, at any time, any charges, features, content, functionality, structure or any other aspects of the Month-to-Month Services or the Term Services, as well as any term or provision of a Service Agreement, upon notice to you by bill message, text message, letter or e-mail. If you do not accept such change, your sole remedy is to terminate the affected Services or Service Agreement within 30 days of your receipt of our notice of change (unless we specify a different notice period), by providing us with advance notice of termination pursuant to Section 34.

it doesn't get much clearer than that
That is my point exactly. And it isn't just Rogers, but Bell and all the rest too. Contracts/agreements/"in writing" don't really mean anything, aside from the chance to get out of it if they do make changes. Compare that to a 'no contract' system and there really is no difference.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Dec 22, 2008
508 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
vluzhko wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2013 12:10 pm
When I was making a deal with Rogers sales rep by number specified in the first post I was speaking to a guy. He promised me that he would wave $60 (installation + activation) fee and I would have to call back the same number after receiving first bill.
I was trying for several days but no human answering the phone.
After all I called normal Support phone and lady on the phone told that there is no note on my account that fee should be waived and she cannot wave it.
More that that she told that I spoke to Kate "usually girl's name" 8-)
So it looks like the guy who opened account simply lied. In such case they can promise whatever they want without leaving note.
Shame Rogers. First impression is very bad.
Has anyone here actually been charged the $50 installation? I've had the opposite case strangely enough, where I was told I would be charged $50 for installation and $15 for activation, but first bill does not show the installation. I'm hoping it doesn't randomly pop in my 2nd or 3rd bill...
Feb 9, 2012
102 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
bootleg wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2013 12:34 pm
Has anyone here actually been charged the $50 installation? I've had the opposite case strangely enough, where I was told I would be charged $50 for installation and $15 for activation, but first bill does not show the installation. I'm hoping it doesn't randomly pop in my 2nd or 3rd bill...
I posted a few pages back - my bill originally charged me the 49.99 service installation fee (AND activation) but I called Rogers and they waived the 49.99 (plus tax) by crediting me the amount.

I'm now on my second bill and the amounts are exactly as expected. 50.85 tax included for 35/3 (my speed has been incredibly consistent, I FTP many many small files simultaneously a lot so with speedbost I'm often pushing 40mbit/sec+ throughput on my network card.
Dec 22, 2008
508 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
andr3w282 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2013 12:52 pm
I posted a few pages back - my bill originally charged me the 49.99 service installation fee (AND activation) but I called Rogers and they waived the 49.99 (plus tax) by crediting me the amount.

I'm now on my second bill and the amounts are exactly as expected. 50.85 tax included for 35/3 (my speed has been incredibly consistent, I FTP many many small files simultaneously a lot so with speedbost I'm often pushing 40mbit/sec+ throughput on my network card.
People are also getting the $15 activation waived as well. I hate how shady Rogers is. Even with deals for new customers they can't offer the same thing to everyone.
Feb 9, 2012
102 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
bootleg wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2013 1:50 pm
People are also getting the $15 activation waived as well. I hate how shady Rogers is. Even with deals for new customers they can't offer the same thing to everyone.
Agreed, and it really comes down to who you get on the phone.

Here's a funny story for those who read:
I hit my 200GB with over a week left, and that was going easy on usage so I wanted to see to add unlimited:

- I tried to add 30$ unlimited to the 45$ package (you'd think this would be a simple change, 75+ tax). Rep said she would look into it and try adding it but then my call dropped.
- 5 minutes after I get an email confirmation invoice for unlimited extreme with NO discounts other than free modem - bill was 90-something plus tax
- I called back to inquire, rep said system was updating and to call back in one hour
- I hungup, called back immediately and spoke to another rep. Rep said the 45 deal was done and not sure what she could do. She also tried claiming that you needed home phone and cable to add unlimited but I bluntly told her otherwise and was looking right at the rogers advertisement (which was true). She finally caved in and realized I was right, then said there's no way to add unlimited to an already discounted package and that she can't even add the 45 anymore. So I said since the original rep changed it without confirmation I want my original plan back or something exactly like it with unlimited. She said she'd transfer me to someone else
- next rep answered - you can tell immediately he knew exactly what he was talking about and knew his stuff. He said the 45 deal was there but he couldnt re-apply it so he got his manager to apply it. He also did confirm that he can't add unlimited to the 45 deal. Oh well, cool thing was my usage was reset to unlimited for the remainder of the month. I got my invoice while still on phone with him and all was reset back to normal (major thanks to him being competent). Month is now over and my bill has no overusage (went over by 60gb... ).

One hour on the phone confirmed I couldn't add unlim but at least my overusage was reset =)

I'm planning on looking into Teksavvy when the POI is upgraded this July since they only support 25/1 in my area... hoping to get 35/3 at least
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18824 posts
6841 upvotes
Toronto
andr3w282 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2013 4:01 pm
Agreed, and it really comes down to who you get on the phone.

Here's a funny story for those who read:
I hit my 200GB with over a week left, and that was going easy on usage so I wanted to see to add unlimited:

- I tried to add 30$ unlimited to the 45$ package (you'd think this would be a simple change, 75+ tax). Rep said she would look into it and try adding it but then my call dropped.
- 5 minutes after I get an email confirmation invoice for unlimited extreme with NO discounts other than free modem - bill was 90-something plus tax
- I called back to inquire, rep said system was updating and to call back in one hour
- I hungup, called back immediately and spoke to another rep. Rep said the 45 deal was done and not sure what she could do. She also tried claiming that you needed home phone and cable to add unlimited but I bluntly told her otherwise and was looking right at the rogers advertisement (which was true). She finally caved in and realized I was right, then said there's no way to add unlimited to an already discounted package and that she can't even add the 45 anymore. So I said since the original rep changed it without confirmation I want my original plan back or something exactly like it with unlimited. She said she'd transfer me to someone else
- next rep answered - you can tell immediately he knew exactly what he was talking about and knew his stuff. He said the 45 deal was there but he couldnt re-apply it so he got his manager to apply it. He also did confirm that he can't add unlimited to the 45 deal. Oh well, cool thing was my usage was reset to unlimited for the remainder of the month. I got my invoice while still on phone with him and all was reset back to normal (major thanks to him being competent). Month is now over and my bill has no overusage (went over by 60gb... ).

One hour on the phone confirmed I couldn't add unlim but at least my overusage was reset =)

I'm planning on looking into Teksavvy when the POI is upgraded this July since they only support 25/1 in my area... hoping to get 35/3 at least
You saved me a whole bunch of hassle! I was going to try this when I have some time to kill. Not going to bother now.