• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 8:34 am
[OP]
Oct 19, 2012
236 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers/Fido New Cell Unlocking Policy - Free

Hey everyone, I did a search and didn't find this posted yet so I thought I'd share for everyone to benefit.

Our family has plans with Rogers and Fido. As of September 1st, 2017 they both have a new unlocking policy for cell phones. If you bought your phone outright/full cost/without subsidy on or after September 1st, 2017 Rogers/Fido will unlock your phone free of charge.

I have done this on Fido and Rogers and can confirm it works and was without any hassle.

I didn't put YMMV as both Rogers and Fido confirmed this is well known internally and I didn't have any issues myself.

Hope this helps out.
Last edited by soljah12 on Sep 28th, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2997 posts
1577 upvotes
GTA
Well isn't that kind of them. :rolleyes:

As of December 1, they will be forced to unlock your device for free regardless of status.
Sep 27, 2017
165 posts
408 upvotes
Um, as of Dec 1 under law they'll have to sell them all unlocked regardless of whether you subsidize or not..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5717 posts
1470 upvotes
Calgary
this is a CRTC ruliing, not the goodness of the prisions... err cell providers.

In addition, they can not sell locked phones after December 1st
Last edited by T3rry on Sep 28th, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 10, 2014
57 posts
32 upvotes
Saint-Eustache, QC
soljah12 wrote: Hey everyone, I did a search and didn't find this posted yet so I thought I'd share for everyone to benefit.

Our family has plans with Rogers and Fido. As of September 1st, 2017 they both have a new unlocking policy for cell phones. If you bought your phone outright/full cost/without subsidy on or after September 1st, 2017 Rogers/Fido will unlock your phone free of charge.

I have done this on Fido and Rogers and can confirm it works and was without any hassle.

I didn't put YMMV as both Rogers and Fido confirmed this is well known internally and I didn't have any issues myself.

Hope this helps out.
Excuse my ignorance, but why would your phone be locked to a carrier if you paid full price ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5717 posts
1470 upvotes
Calgary
ZEMAN84 wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but why would your phone be locked to a carrier if you paid full price ?
it shouldn't be, that's why CRTC made this ruling... Previously carriers locked the phone f you bought it from them, reguardless if you paid the outright price.
Aug 22, 2015
66 posts
50 upvotes
Funny story:

Called Bell to unlock an old iphone 4 I had laying around as a friend was in a jam and wanted something for a few weeks until the X comes out.

I call Bell and they tell me I need to pay $50+ tax to an internal department and I would need a credit card to do it as they couldn't just bill me.

I explain that this has sat in a drawer for 4 years or more and that they need to unlock it come Dec 1 for free anyway.

The agent persisted that there was no way I was getting the unlock for free and that I must pay. Then he bargained with me to go buy a pre-paid card to do the unlock and he'd give me a $60 credit,

Needless to say I took the credit and ran and will call in again on Dec 1 to unlock the phone out of spite.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2012
236 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Of course we know that as of December 1 they will have to provide unlocks free of charge but the point being here is that they are doing it free of charge BEFORE they are required to by law.

This is great for people who just bought a new phone but wanted it unlocked now instead of waiting until December 1.

I get down votes for providing info to try and help people out before it becomes law. LOL Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4771 posts
1210 upvotes
Toronto
How about phones that are currently locked and purchased say 1 or 2 years ago, will they have to unlock them for free after dec1? Or they automatically become unlocked?

Or is the unlocked/unlocked for free thing for new phones after sept1/dec1 ONLY?
[OP]
Oct 19, 2012
236 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
ZEMAN84 wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but why would your phone be locked to a carrier if you paid full price ?
Carriers do not sell unlocked phones at this time in Canada, regardless of whether you bought it outright. Comes December 1st, they will be required to sell them unlocked and unlock all phones free of charge.

For me, I never pay the outright prices for the phones as sold at carriers. I have access to get top phones at very discounted prices,somerimes saving over 60%. For example, I just unlocked my Samsung S8+ with Rogers a few mins ago and paid $700 taxes included for it. So it saves me another added cost of unlocking it.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 50GB PoM EPP BYOD
Rogers: 10GB Share Everything Ultra
Aug 22, 2015
66 posts
50 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: How about phones that are currently locked and purchased say 1 or 2 years ago, will they have to unlock them for free after dec1? Or they automatically become unlocked?

Or is the unlocked/unlocked for free thing for new phones after sept1/dec1 ONLY?
It should only be locked if it's subsidized through the carrier until the term is paid in full or after 24 months of the initial purchase and should cost $0 to do which it always should have been as it's your device to do what you like with at that point.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2012
236 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote: How about phones that are currently locked and purchased say 1 or 2 years ago, will they have to unlock them for free after dec1? Or they automatically become unlocked?

This new policy only applies to phones bought on or after September 1st, 2017. For every other phone, you'll have to wait until the law comes into force on December 1st.
Current Cell Plans
Telus: 50GB PoM EPP BYOD
Rogers: 10GB Share Everything Ultra
Apr 20, 2017
476 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Finally, my iphone 5 can get unlocked.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6764 posts
952 upvotes
Toronto
Will they unlock phones even if you are no longer their customer? I have Fido and Rogers-locked iPhones4.