• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 8:47 pm
Tags:
8 replies
Aug 30, 2015
125 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Does it cost anything? Are there any delays?
[OP]
Jan 2, 2013
907 posts
110 upvotes
Etobicoke
I use it on my S7 Edge on Rogers - no charges and no delays. Can't speak about the Pixel 2 though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25869 posts
2877 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don’t see he purpose unless you’re in the basement and there is no cell signal.

WiFi calling still charges you minutes from your bucket and you’re providing the bandwidth.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4257 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Gee wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:04 am
I don’t see he purpose unless you’re in the basement and there is no cell signal. WiFi calling still charges you minutes from your bucket and you’re providing the bandwidth.
In terms of costs and voice quality, how does it compare with (i) carrier call and (ii)cellular VOIP call (e.g. Hangout dialer)?
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
[OP]
Jan 2, 2013
907 posts
110 upvotes
Etobicoke
I use it a lot while traveling. You can still call and text like usual but it doesn't trigger RLH. But you're right, for most people it would likely be useful just for basements and other dead spots.

I find the quality just as good if not better than regular cell service, as long as wifi is good of course. Can't comment on VoIP but I'd say it sounds similar to a WhatsApp call.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2584 posts
179 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:04 am
I don’t see he purpose unless you’re in the basement and there is no cell signal.
When i had rogers it kind of felt like i was in the basement, could only get a signal in my kitchen, luckily i left them for greener pastures.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25869 posts
2877 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I just think it is a rip off. I use my internet bandwidth, no Rogers resources, yet it affects my quota
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1170 posts
106 upvotes
Here
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:08 am
I just think it is a rip off. I use my internet bandwidth, no Rogers resources, yet it affects my quota
Agreed, it's a ripoff because Rogers has plans with quotas. If all plans were unlimited calling/texting across Canada, then wifi calling would be an enhancement to their service. Instead, it comes across as them nickel and diming consumers.