Home & Garden

Rogers forcing us to give up 905 phone number??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2014 6:13 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 3, 2014
4 posts
Woodbridge, ON
Robbers is only good for cell phones, their home phone service blows.
Dec 28, 2011
351 posts
137 upvotes
TORONTO
Update: Woke up this morning and found that Rogers (despite all of my calls, and reference numbers, and assurances) went ahead and changed our number from 905-237-xxxx to 289-234-xxxx. I am beyond livid right now, and they are going to get a new one torn today...

Also, for the suggestions about porting my number to VOIP, that's probably not a terrible idea. I already have voip.ms service with a 416 number for several years, and while it's super cheap, I plan to keep my 905 number with Rogers home phone service for now.. (once I get it back). I've always been disappointed with the voice quality, and couldn't figure out the QoS settings to make my internet usage not cut into my phone call quality. Also, not sure of the implications of switching to VOIP with my home ADT security system, if any..

What a mess. Rogers continues to be the worst company I've ever dealt with.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
.... oooh 'dis 'gon be gud!

where's my popcorn?

Keep us posted!
Aug 24, 2011
84 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Hi OP, sent you a private message. We'll figure this out, sorry for all the confusion.

We're @RogersHelps if anyone has issues like this, we're happy to try to figure them out so as to avoid the situation above.

@Rogers_Chris
mabeeman1 wrote: Update: Woke up this morning and found that Rogers (despite all of my calls, and reference numbers, and assurances) went ahead and changed our number from 905-237-xxxx to 289-234-xxxx. I am beyond livid right now, and they are going to get a new one torn today...

Also, for the suggestions about porting my number to VOIP, that's probably not a terrible idea. I already have voip.ms service with a 416 number for several years, and while it's super cheap, I plan to keep my 905 number with Rogers home phone service for now.. (once I get it back). I've always been disappointed with the voice quality, and couldn't figure out the QoS settings to make my internet usage not cut into my phone call quality. Also, not sure of the implications of switching to VOIP with my home ADT security system, if any..

What a mess. Rogers continues to be the worst company I've ever dealt with.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
mabeeman1

I can totally relate to what you went through, I hesitated in changing from analog to digital and when I finally did and upgraded our package, I spent 7 phone calls later over the course of a week and over 12 hours on the phone trying to figure out why my plan changed 7 times and didn't reflex the original upgrade in our package. It seems it was never put into the system..........7 times. Finally I gave up and had my wife spend another 5 more hours and 3 phone calls later only to have to call again when our bill came it.

I simply don't get the customer service.
Dec 28, 2011
351 posts
137 upvotes
TORONTO
Cheap Cat wrote: OP, have you tried contacting a consumer affairs reporter like Ellen Roseman at The Star? eroseman@thestar.ca
Not yet, though my wife is strongly considering it. We will give it a bit more time since apparently we'll hear back from some more Rogers reps (either thanks to RogersChris, or our complaints that were filed earlier today), hopefully who can help. My wife took a vacation day and went nuts with Rogers today, talking to several reps after they continue to all insist that our number is changed due to either 911 re-zoning or due to Bell Canada/CRTC /Government regulations, both of which we confirmed from outside sources are untrue. The latest Rogers reps are saying it's just a fluke and coincidence that this change happened after our service was briefly disconnected over the weekend, and that like everyone else in Richmond Hill with a 905 number, ours was scheduled to be changed today anyways. Complete crock of BS, and all lies, in my opinion, but they absolutely refuse to budge on this.

Have fired off several emails and complaints to various places (CRTC, Rogers Ombudsman, Rogers Office of the president, etc)... Waiting to hear back from someone who actually knows whats going on, with the power to fix it.

I want to point out that when I started this thread while on the phone, I didn't intend anticipate for it to turn it into a hate-fest against Rogers.. was honestly just looking for some quick feedback to know if this sounded right. But now, and the more we look into things, this experience is getting more shocking every hour, and my wife is pretty upset about being bullied, and either lied to or fed misinformation in several instances, with nobody knowing the truth. I guess it's what happens when a company grows so large, and nobody really knows what's happening or take responsibility. Nice to see RogersChris on here actively looking to help though, so I do appreciate that.

Let's see what happens. Hopefully my next update has this all resolved...
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1391 posts
498 upvotes
mabeeman1 wrote: Not yet, though my wife is strongly considering it. We will give it a bit more time since apparently we'll hear back from some more Rogers reps (either thanks to RogersChris, or our complaints that were filed earlier today), hopefully who can help. My wife took a vacation day and went nuts with Rogers today, talking to several reps after they continue to all insist that our number is changed due to either 911 re-zoning or due to Bell Canada/CRTC /Government regulations, both of which we confirmed from outside sources are untrue. The latest Rogers reps are saying it's just a fluke and coincidence that this change happened after our service was briefly disconnected over the weekend, and that like everyone else in Richmond Hill with a 905 number, ours was scheduled to be changed today anyways. Complete crock of BS, and all lies, in my opinion, but they absolutely refuse to budge on this.

Have fired off several emails and complaints to various places (CRTC, Rogers Ombudsman, Rogers Office of the president, etc)... Waiting to hear back from someone who actually knows whats going on, with the power to fix it.

I want to point out that when I started this thread while on the phone, I didn't intend anticipate for it to turn it into a hate-fest against Rogers.. was honestly just looking for some quick feedback to know if this sounded right. But now, and the more we look into things, this experience is getting more shocking every hour, and my wife is pretty upset about being bullied, and either lied to or fed misinformation in several instances, with nobody knowing the truth. I guess it's what happens when a company grows so large, and nobody really knows what's happening or take responsibility. Nice to see RogersChris on here actively looking to help though, so I do appreciate that.

Let's see what happens. Hopefully my next update has this all resolved...
keep up on this with the crtc, they can't pull any of this bs for phone service.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
It's always the same with Robbers, they what they want and the hell with customer service.

I normally spend hours on the phobe whenever renewal time comes. It's always the same excuse, the codes weren't entered into the system correctly, which goes on for at least 3 billing cycles, it's like they're begging for you to cut their services.

As for your case OP, I wouldn't be surprised if some business wanted your phone number and is willing to pay Rogers but instead of asking you decided to change your number and feed you a bullsheet excuse.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
I LOVE Rogers NOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! They are the worst of the three in my books, I wouldn't keep there services even if they paid me. OP please port out, as other have said voip.ms or try Teksavvy Tektalk. Little bit more then voip.ms but service is good and NO BS.
Dec 28, 2011
351 posts
137 upvotes
TORONTO
Not looking good. Many calls with a man from The Office of the President and they are insisting that several streets in our new subdivision for the past few years have been given the wrong rate center and area code and that we all need to change our numbers. Apparently we were given Richmond Hill rate center 905-237 but we are all part of Oak Ridges where this does not apply. I pay my taxes to Richmond Hill and nobody can tell me the rate center boundaries to confirm this, so I cannot verify what Rogers is saying.

This was only after I went door to door asking people in my neighborhood what area code they had, and 90 percent of them told me 905-237. After I told Rogers this, they said maybe the problem was bigger than they thought. They offered to give us rights to the number if I wanted to port it to VOIP but we would have to stick with the new 289 number if we wanted to keep rogers home phone.

Seems unfair that a Rogers screw-up years ago is going to inconvenience a portion of our entire newly developed neighborhood and force everyone to have their numbers changed. Hopefully they get more than 36 hours notice via a voice-mail...

Still very angry, and really I don't want to accept this, but so far nobody from Rogers including the ombudsman and office of the President is willing to admit the mistake or offer any compensation. Seems like they would rather get rid of us than give us back our phone number and figure things out on their end.

My wife is furious and wants me to cancel all services including my off contract cell phone and never give Rogers another penny again. On the other hand, it's currently cheaper to stay with them than go elsewhere especially with the. 3 service perks they throw in combined with Retentions rates. Frustrated.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
RogersChris wrote: We're @RogersHelps if anyone has issues like this, we're happy to try to figure them out so as to avoid the situation above.

@Rogers_Chris
Chris, it's truly a nice gesture that you would step into this thread to try and help out. It's unfortunate that we as customers don't feel that way when we call into customer service or eventually get turned over to retentions as they call it and don't get our concerns taken care of due to inexperience and or unwillingness on Rogers reps side. Based on Rogers, reviews I believe upper management knows this but the problem still exists.

mabeeman1

Sorry about my previous rant as well as your problems in this situation.

This reminds me of a conversation I walked into at a Rogers Center couple weeks ago. When I walked into the store the upset customer stated" why is it if I call Rogers to correct a problem with my service and it's deemed my fault I get charged a premium to correct, yet this time it's clearly Rogers error and all I keep getting is, I'm sorry with no compensation or satisfaction", all the Rogers rep would say is........"I'm sorry" and the customer stormed out and they didn't stop him and try to solve the problem as the rep just told me her hands were tied once the customer left, which really doesn't explain anything.

I wish you luck and can feel your pain as I dread every time I need to call Rogers yet it should never be that way, nor do I feel they really care A couple times I've given really bad and truthful reviews yet nobody calls me back. That's what I've become to expect from Rogers customer service.

Don't kid yourself, Bell is no different.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1023.htm wrote:If you have a complaint about your service, contact your local phone service provider directly. It’s in the company’s best interest to respond to your concerns. If you are not satisfied with your service providers’ response, you may contact the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS) at 1-888-221-1687
Might be worth a try if you haven't already.
Dec 28, 2011
351 posts
137 upvotes
TORONTO
PianoGuy wrote: Might be worth a try if you haven't already.
Good call. We did put in a complaint here with amendments as this situation has unfolded. I think my wife actually heard back and they tended to say Rogers and Bell could do whatever they want and are probably protected in the fine print of an agreement somewhere.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
Can't believe I'm going to utter these words: OP contact the Toronto Star or CTV, they love stories like this.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
If Rogers is giving you the chance to port your old number, do it.. Get service with ooma or some other voip... And if you really miss Rogers home phone after a few months, try porting the number back to them

I doubt you'll go back to them though after getting better/cheaper service from another provider