None
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13095 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
habs365 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 11:57 am
I've been holding out with the 3552 for awhile, because generally my speeds have been very good.
But in the last two months my devices wired to the modem drop their connection once a week or so, then I have to reboot the modem to get a connection.
In the last month, my wifi signal around the house has been really bad. Like, rooms in the house that were fine before now get horrible speeds.
The router function on these hitrons is terrible. You were lucky that you had any kind of useful performance out of it. Just put it in bridge mode and get your own router.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1126 posts
358 upvotes
Whitby
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 7:52 pm
Once I do that, I would still be able to use the lan ports on each routers for the other electronics?.
Everything but the WAN port, yep. You won't use the WAN port at all.
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 7:52 pm
I dont know if what im doing is ideal or not. Maybe I should just buy 2 gigabit switches instead of routers and use a powerline adapter for wifi?.
I didn't read the whole thread history. Avoid powerline adapters at all costs. When possible run a cable. Absolutely hard wire every device in your house that you can. Running ALL the network cables to ONE switch is best, but if not possible you can put some gigabit switches on other floors in strategic places. Do NOT use TP-Link switches, period. The cheapest I'd recommend are Buffalo BS-GU2005/BS-GU2008 (they have 16 and 24 port versions as well).

To improve the wifi in your house disable the wifi in the rogers router and install a few Ubiquiti wireless access points throughout the house. They don't HAVE to be hard wired but of course that gets you the best speed. I really like UAP-AC-LR, they listen really well to devices like phones and tablets: https://ubnt.ca/unifi/70-unifi-ap-long- ... results=22

If you have 3x3 devices the UAP-AC-PRO or the brand spankin new 4x4 Wave 2 access point might provide better speeds: https://unifi-hd.ubnt.com

Need any help setting them up just let me know.

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7181 posts
233 upvotes
toysareforboys wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 12:17 am
Everything but the WAN port, yep. You won't use the WAN port at all.

I didn't read the whole thread history. Avoid powerline adapters at all costs. When possible run a cable. Absolutely hard wire every device in your house that you can. Running ALL the network cables to ONE switch is best, but if not possible you can put some gigabit switches on other floors in strategic places. Do NOT use TP-Link switches, period. The cheapest I'd recommend are Buffalo BS-GU2005/BS-GU2008 (they have 16 and 24 port versions as well).

To improve the wifi in your house disable the wifi in the rogers router and install a few Ubiquiti wireless access points throughout the house. They don't HAVE to be hard wired but of course that gets you the best speed. I really like UAP-AC-LR, they listen really well to devices like phones and tablets: https://ubnt.ca/unifi/70-unifi-ap-long- ... results=22

If you have 3x3 devices the UAP-AC-PRO or the brand spankin new 4x4 Wave 2 access point might provide better speeds: https://unifi-hd.ubnt.com

Need any help setting them up just let me know.

-Jamie M.
Awesome post but im not trying to spend that much money on a switch. Maybe the wifi.

What do you think of this switch?. Im thinking of buying 2. So my connection would be like this Router > Switch > Switch.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6833122668

Its on sale right now.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Mar 8, 2017
2 posts
First I had issues with falling speeds until i restarted the modem, then with the second modem, i had similar issues, the third modem with the black dot looked fine, but the wifi was super unreliable, it was impossible to use a laptop or phone without constant connection drops. The speed was ok, but you were getting disconnected at least once a minute. Usually several times per minute. I tried to exchange again, and now the fourth modem - has the exact same wifi issue, and my internet is unreliable, huge packet loss, impossible to play online, and websites sometimes load super slow.

I'm thinking to downgrade to 300mbit, where i had no issues whatsoever.

Has anyone fixed the above-listed issues? I'd prefer not to spend several hundreds of dollars on a router, if possible.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11828 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
Romtimon wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 6:51 pm
First I had issues with falling speeds until i restarted the modem, then with the second modem, i had similar issues, the third modem with the black dot looked fine, but the wifi was super unreliable, it was impossible to use a laptop or phone without constant connection drops. The speed was ok, but you were getting disconnected at least once a minute. Usually several times per minute. I tried to exchange again, and now the fourth modem - has the exact same wifi issue, and my internet is unreliable, huge packet loss, impossible to play online, and websites sometimes load super slow.

I'm thinking to downgrade to 300mbit, where i had no issues whatsoever.

Has anyone fixed the above-listed issues? I'd prefer not to spend several hundreds of dollars on a router, if possible.
I have no issues with the wifi on 5 Ghz.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11828 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 4:32 pm
Awesome post but im not trying to spend that much money on a switch. Maybe the wifi.

What do you think of this switch?. Im thinking of buying 2. So my connection would be like this Router > Switch > Switch.

Its on sale right now.
I used to like netgear switches but their warranty is really BS. I have the GS105 and the switch has lifetime warranty but the power brick only 1 year. The new replacement which you linked seems to have quality issues. I would look for a solid business version
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1126 posts
358 upvotes
Whitby
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 4:32 pm

Its on sale right now.
Great price.

I evaluated that exact switch when our store was looking to switch from TP-Link to something with less issues. That switch does something REALLY weird with the speed. It would randomly drop to 500mbps (instead of 1gig) in the middle of large file transfers. Almost as if it was overheating because if we stopped the transfer for a few minutes it'd resume back at gigabit for a bit then drop to half. This is with ONLY two computers connected to it, transferring from one to the other. No idea how bad it would do with multiple computers plugged into it.

We didn't have any issues with stability or anything else so if you're not worried about running at half speed they could be a good option.

I wouldn't cascade them if at ALL possible. Run a cable from the main router to new switch 1, run another cable from the router to new switch 2 (not from switch 1 to switch 2). Because of the half speed issues, if you cascade the switches you might be getting really horrible speed on the last one.

Router > Switch 1
Router > Switch 2

Try not to skimp on a switch. You have NO idea how hard they are to troubleshoot and how miserable it can make your family.

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Mar 8, 2017
2 posts
hightech wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 7:18 pm
I have no issues with the wifi on 5 Ghz.
Good for you.
Even if that would be the case for me, i still need the older version of Wifi for our laptops.
Nov 23, 2012
202 posts
40 upvotes
Last few days YouTube has been buffering like crazy, but speed test show over 300mbps on wifi. Anyone else having YouTube problems ?
Aug 2, 2009
187 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
dmflash1 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:45 pm
Last few days YouTube has been buffering like crazy, but speed test show over 300mbps on wifi. Anyone else having YouTube problems ?
Youtube, twitch and any other streaming site I use all have buffering issues
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2010
2432 posts
446 upvotes
DFR Headquarter
I was trouble shooting for a friend after a day of install. This new hitron coda 4582 modem seems complete garbage.

Hardwire to computer gets 900mb ish dl and 20mb ish upload.
Wifi barely gets 30-40mb dl and 10-20mb upload.

YouTube constantly buffers, gaming constantly drops connection (hardwired or wifi).

2.5ghz gets full wifi in the next room, while 5ghz get less at the same distance? Im so baffled.

Ive done disconnecting, resetting and all of the normal thing a phone tech would advise. It didnt seem any better.

I didnt know rogers connection was this bad now. Ive remembered when ive had rogers 2yrs ago with the older hitron modem on 250mb dl, everything was smooth sailing; wifi included.

I shouldnt have recommeneded this for my friend at all. Sh1t its a 2yrs contract.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15960 posts
1855 upvotes
dmflash1 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:45 pm
Rogers is having network issues tonight:

Sep 10, 2004
479 posts
69 upvotes
someone from Rogers posted on DSL report around 7am, "We were able to stabilize the traffic overnight and will investigating with our vendors and ISP partners the cause of this issue."