None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9883 posts
877 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
soyelmatador wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 12:38 am
Would you mind sharing the area where you connect from within your city?
Thank you
Markham
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Aug 17, 2008
543 posts
159 upvotes
here's my speedtest, Image while streaming the Leafs vs Carolina game on another tab is like watching Max Headroom playing

=> theoretical speedtest results vs real world performance = not the same
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13007 posts
2923 upvotes
Toronto
I registered my best speed test result ever, 834 down, 46 up, 8 ms ping. I don't think I will be swapping my 3552 cable modem any time soon.

Last edited by will888 on Mar 12th, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 3, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
toysareforboys wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 9:49 pm
Great price.

I evaluated that exact switch when our store was looking to switch from TP-Link to something with less issues. That switch does something REALLY weird with the speed. It would randomly drop to 500mbps (instead of 1gig) in the middle of large file transfers. Almost as if it was overheating because if we stopped the transfer for a few minutes it'd resume back at gigabit for a bit then drop to half. This is with ONLY two computers connected to it, transferring from one to the other. No idea how bad it would do with multiple computers plugged into it.

We didn't have any issues with stability or anything else so if you're not worried about running at half speed they could be a good option.

I wouldn't cascade them if at ALL possible. Run a cable from the main router to new switch 1, run another cable from the router to new switch 2 (not from switch 1 to switch 2). Because of the half speed issues, if you cascade the switches you might be getting really horrible speed on the last one.

Router > Switch 1
Router > Switch 2

Try not to skimp on a switch. You have NO idea how hard they are to troubleshoot and how miserable it can make your family.

-Jamie M.
If money was not an object which would be the best switch available in Canada? Brand and model please?
Thank you
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1125 posts
358 upvotes
Whitby
soyelmatador wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:05 pm
If money was not an object which would be the best switch available in Canada? Brand and model please?
Thank you
There's lots of options. I'm a fan of the UniFi stuff, i.e. if you want 10gig: https://ubnt.ca/unifi-switching-routing ... -250w.html (was on sale for $299 during the beta program :( ).

If you don't need 10gig: https://ubnt.ca/unifi-switching-routing ... -150w.html

If you need more ports than that, they are available in 24 and 48 ports as well.

At my house and work I rock HP Procurve 3500yl 48g Poe+ switches (you can usually get them on Kijiji for $80 to $105 depending on condition, I have a crate of them for sale if you need one or more). After you update the firmware to version 15 or whatever then they have a really nice Web GUI! No serial cable required to initially set them up either (just hold down the two buttons on the front in the reset order to factory reset it). Cisco can go f themselves :)

Stock fans are a little loud:

But with a little creativity you can fix that:

The Nortel/Avaya 5520-48T-PWR switches are really nice too. Also loud fans, lol. After you update the firmware (you can flash the Nortel switches to Avaya) it also has a really nice web gui:

But you'll need a serial/console cable to initially configure it:

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Mar 3, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 2:08 pm
Not bad for my first speedtest.

Which modem does offer you those speeds and whereabouts you connect from?
Formally, are you on the 30GB or 50GB upload contract?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4766 posts
1564 upvotes
soyelmatador wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:24 pm
Which modem does offer you those speeds and whereabouts you connect from?
Formally, are you on the 30GB or 50GB upload contract?
I'm using the newest Hilton (white brick) and located downtown. I believe I'm officially 50mps down.
Mar 3, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:24 pm
I'm using the newest Hilton (white brick) and located downtown. I believe I'm officially 50mps down.
There are 3 versions of white brick formally it is known as Coda 4582.
white with one black dot in the area close to the power cable. There is another one with 2 black dots. And a third one with no dots at all. Which is the one you were given?
Additionally you could access the info about your modem if you type from your computer on the web address line "192.168.0.1" (without the "). When you enter that line it will open you a window to fill in to access your modem. In username you type cusadmin and in password you type the password you used to register your modem. Once inside your modem you will have a series of options to check. You probably have something that looks like the info below

System Information
This menu displays general information of the device
Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 2.0.10.24
Gateway Serial Number _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Jul 5, 2005
912 posts
182 upvotes
the latest gigabit modem from rogers does not enter bridge mode with TP-LINK AC2600 i've spent many hours on forums and with tech support and they cant figure it out as well. I swapped 2 of them just to make sure mine wasn't faulty, same thing. I went back and switched to the advanced modem and instantly bridges again.

Some big issues with ac2600 and new rogers modem. No fix in sight.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1311 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto, ON
puroeuro wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:09 am
the latest gigabit modem from rogers does not enter bridge mode with TP-LINK AC2600 i've spent many hours on forums and with tech support and they cant figure it out as well. I swapped 2 of them just to make sure mine wasn't faulty, same thing. I went back and switched to the advanced modem and instantly bridges again.

Some big issues with ac2600 and new rogers modem. No fix in sight.
check your CODA's firmware version, from .23 that's already fixed
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1919 posts
108 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 1:13 pm
411: Here's what I found out about upload codes for GB service. There have been inquiries/complaints about upload speeds and codes used to allow/restrict between 30 mbs vs 50 mbs. Contact concierge 1 844 556 8643, press 0. Check to see what code you have.

WGBL - this is the default code for everyone when first put on GB service. Default is 30 mbs.

WGIG - this code is for upgrading to 50 mbs should your area allow it. Note not all areas have ability to receive 50 mbs. Hence, prior default code WGBL.

WRJA - this is the new code to restrict all new customers to 30 mbs only, regardless if your area supports 30 or 50 mbs.

I get a solid 30 all day. I remember initially signing up for the 50. Will this code change mess something up? Or should it have been aligned from the start? If so, I will contact the concierge line you indicated above.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1919 posts
108 upvotes
Does anyone know what the latest firmware version the 3552 should have?
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13007 posts
2923 upvotes
Toronto
cyphon21 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:21 pm
Does anyone know what the latest firmware version the 3552 should have?
I have no idea. The thing works fine right out of the box and has continued to work. I don't think it has the same firmware related problems as the latest modem.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

boldventure