• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 7:08 am
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2013
203 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
Is there any downside to network performance by having two wireless access points (e.g. Rogers coda modem and my own router)? Or would putting the modem in bridge mode and only using my router be better in terms of less wireless interference, bandwidth, etc?
Jan 10, 2017
308 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
If you have weak wifi around the house you can place the two in opposite ends, plug the router into the modem. Have both WiFi named exactly the same with the same password. This would provide more coverage and your devices will pick each one based on best signal. There is a lot more detail to go on to but I hope someone can pick up my slack and explain more in depth on how to set it up properly. I can quickly tell you that it depends on your router to support your speeds and WiFi usage, if not then stick with the rogers modem as your main WiFi point.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Jan 24, 2013
203 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
MadCanadian wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:36 pm
If you have weak wifi around the house you can place the two in opposite ends, plug the router into the modem. Have both WiFi named exactly the same with the same password. This would provide more coverage and your devices will pick each one based on best signal. There is a lot more detail to go on to but I hope someone can pick up my slack and explain more in depth on how to set it up properly. I can quickly tell you that it depends on your router to support your speeds and WiFi usage, if not then stick with the rogers modem as your main WiFi point.
Never thought of spreading out the modem and router and assigning same network names/ password to increase wifi coverage - makes a lot of sense. I should add that I have a pretty decent router (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900) so not sure if that changes anything at all about whether I should keep my current configuration or put the modem into bridge mode?
Jan 31, 2016
28 posts
Arva, ON
Just swapped the modem from Rocket to Gigabit couple days ago. The guy said Gigabit is faster and has a wider range of wifi signals but it's simply worse than Rocket especially 5g. I'm planning to go back to Rocket soon because I don't think my gigabit modem is defected or anything-also it's too big and ugly. Just a heads up for people who consider getting Gigabit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5321 posts
574 upvotes
ludwig3 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:37 am
Just swapped the modem from Rocket to Gigabit couple days ago. The guy said Gigabit is faster and has a wider range of wifi signals but it's simply worse than Rocket especially 5g. I'm planning to go back to Rocket soon because I don't think my gigabit modem is defected or anything-also it's too big and ugly. Just a heads up for people who consider getting Gigabit.
Yeah the new modem is still pretty buggy.

Spec wise yeah it is pretty beefy for a provider modem, sadly let down by buggy firmware (but seems at least the basic issues are starting to get ironed out).
- 3×3 2.4 GHz 802.11n and 4×4 5 GHz 802.11ac Wave 2 dual band MU-MIMO which is actually the latest technology and probably "better" than what most ppl have, it's AC Wave 2 w/ MU-MIMO.
Aug 14, 2014
157 posts
84 upvotes
Hey guys, I signed up for 1000/50 last October but getting speeds of 30ul with the 1 black dot modem. Upon calling in I was informed my area is 30 only and I cant get 50 ul, can I complain or do anything to get something, because Im 99% sure it was 1000/50 that was offered with the initial gigabit packages?
Feb 24, 2007
81 posts
11 upvotes
Esg876 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 3:13 pm
Hey guys, I signed up for 1000/50 last October but getting speeds of 30ul with the 1 black dot modem. Upon calling in I was informed my area is 30 only and I cant get 50 ul, can I complain or do anything to get something, because Im 99% sure it was 1000/50 that was offered with the initial gigabit packages?
Please do not duplicate posts on different threads
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13096 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
Nguygie wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:51 pm
Never thought of spreading out the modem and router and assigning same network names/ password to increase wifi coverage - makes a lot of sense. I should add that I have a pretty decent router (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900) so not sure if that changes anything at all about whether I should keep my current configuration or put the modem into bridge mode?
If you want maximum wireless performance, then you should not put the modem into bridge mode. Run your nighthawk as a repeater. On the nighthawk, turn off dhcp, firewall, upnp, set the IP to the same subnet as the modem but with IP outside of the range assignment, set the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless to the same SSID and password as the modem but use different broadcast channels. Locate the two devices at different parts of the house, connect them together with an ethernet cable via lan port to lan port.
Nov 23, 2012
202 posts
40 upvotes
Mayoo wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 12:22 pm
Software Version 2.0.10.27 was released.. make sure to hard reboot modem and router to get the gigabit speed back
How's the new firmware? I'm thinking of switching back to the coda .
Jan 10, 2017
308 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
Just upgraded to 2.0.10.26T2. I won't be able to tell a difference on it anyways.
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Aug 1, 2007
485 posts
22 upvotes
Looking to see if anyone with a Rogers coda modem is experiencing this...

I'm trying to help my nephew trouble shoot a wifi issue and would appreciate if anyone has had this issue before and was able to resolve it.

He's on the Rogers gigabit plan with the coda 2 dot modem. The modem is linked to a Dlink 850l router (we also tested with my Asus ac66u router). Tested with a Mac Book Pro and an i7 HP laptop. Both are current models that can handle gigabit speeds.

The issue...

On 2.4ghz channel we can both hit 100 down and 50 up. Perfect.

On 5ghz channel we can both hit 330 down and 50 up. Perfect...but wait! Speeds then drop down to 2 to 10 down and then 15 to 20 up. This inconsistent up and down speeds would happen all the time.

It seems that when we use the 5ghz channel it throttles the speed down drasticly.

As mentioned above we tested using both routers (one which is from my home and I have no issues with these up and down speeds).

Could this be an issue with the Rogers coda modem? I'm thinking of getting my nephew to bring back this modem to exchange for another.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? If so, I would appreciate the steps that you took to resolve this issue.

Cheers!
Jan 10, 2017
308 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
radar2000 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 7:43 pm
Looking to see if anyone with a Rogers coda modem is experiencing this...

I'm trying to help my nephew trouble shoot a wifi issue and would appreciate if anyone has had this issue before and was able to resolve it.

He's on the Rogers gigabit plan with the coda 2 dot modem. The modem is linked to a Dlink 850l router (we also tested with my Asus ac66u router). Tested with a Mac Book Pro and an i7 HP laptop. Both are current models that can handle gigabit speeds.

The issue...

On 2.4ghz channel we can both hit 100 down and 50 up. Perfect.

On 5ghz channel we can both hit 330 down and 50 up. Perfect...but wait! Speeds then drop down to 2 to 10 down and then 15 to 20 up. This inconsistent up and down speeds would happen all the time.

It seems that when we use the 5ghz channel it throttles the speed down drasticly.

As mentioned above we tested using both routers (one which is from my home and I have no issues with these up and down speeds).

Could this be an issue with the Rogers coda modem? I'm thinking of getting my nephew to bring back this modem to exchange for another.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? If so, I would appreciate the steps that you took to resolve this issue.

Cheers!
Are you in a dense neighbourhood or condo? The rogers and bell modems are horrible at channel selecting and 100% of the time choose the same channel (similar to a car lane). Use an Android app called wifi analyzer to determine if there is too much noise on the same channel and switch it to a free or less busy one.
WiFi on the same channel causes to much noise and interference that you won't even hit best speeds.
---
Aug 1, 2007
485 posts
22 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:47 am
Are you in a dense neighbourhood or condo? The rogers and bell modems are horrible at channel selecting and 100% of the time choose the same channel (similar to a car lane). Use an Android app called wifi analyzer to determine if there is too much noise on the same channel and switch it to a free or less busy one.
WiFi on the same channel causes to much noise and interference that you won't even hit best speeds.
Thanks for your response MadCanadian.

He's located in a dense neighbourhood. I did run my wifi analyzer while I was there and made certain that he was on the best / least used channel.

Again, I just find it strange that when we use the dlink routers 2.4Ghz channel, there is no issues. But once we start to use the 5Ghz channel it just starts to drop. It's almost as if the Rogers modem says...hold on there, that's way too much bandwidth for you...let's drop you from 300 down to 10.