None
Jan 10, 2017
229 posts
60 upvotes
GTA
radar2000 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 3:16 pm
Thanks for your response MadCanadian.

He's located in a dense neighbourhood. I did run my wifi analyzer while I was there and made certain that he was on the best / least used channel.

Again, I just find it strange that when we use the dlink routers 2.4Ghz channel, there is no issues. But once we start to use the 5Ghz channel it just starts to drop. It's almost as if the Rogers modem says...hold on there, that's way too much bandwidth for you...let's drop you from 300 down to 10.
The last thing that comes to mind is that the modem could be over heating, as that tends to throttle your network in order for the cpu to save itself. Usually that can be solved by ensuring the modem has airspace around it.
If that doesn't work, then it might be worth a try with a new modem, if the problem still persists, then it's definitely something else.
Information Security Analyst
May 5, 2006
599 posts
76 upvotes
radar2000 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 3:16 pm
Thanks for your response MadCanadian.

He's located in a dense neighbourhood. I did run my wifi analyzer while I was there and made certain that he was on the best / least used channel.

Again, I just find it strange that when we use the dlink routers 2.4Ghz channel, there is no issues. But once we start to use the 5Ghz channel it just starts to drop. It's almost as if the Rogers modem says...hold on there, that's way too much bandwidth for you...let's drop you from 300 down to 10.
Have you tried using the 2.4GHz on the Rogers modem? Recall that the higher the frequency (5GHz), the less it can penetrate walls etc. So the range is less. Congestion, on the other hand, is usually better on the 5GHz channels (more channels, less usage/interference, etc). So depending on which one is causing problems, you could be better off on 2.4. Try an apples-to-apples comparison by trying 2.4GHz on the Rogers modem.

Still waffling on when to upgrade the modem. It sounds like things are pretty much worked out now? Is anyone still having issues with the new modem?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1813 posts
84 upvotes
Scarborough
I was deciding to go back to Bell with all the issues I was having with the CODA 4582. When I went to check what Bell was offering on their web page in my neighborhood, I found out that they removed the 50 mbps package and are only offering the 25 mbps fibe. Its not even worth it to go for that speed. I finally got the senior tech out to my house and he replaced the CODA with the CGN 3552. Haven't had any issues since.

CODA 4582 is just not ready (in my case, after 8 CODA 4582 swaps finally I'm good).
Mar 25, 2017
147 posts
66 upvotes
I'm not too good with techs. What should my 5G settings be ? I have a gigabyte plan and I'm not getting more than 20MBPS. Just got the new modem 2 days ago.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9352 posts
3117 upvotes
I just called in and they're crediting me $25/month on an ongoing basis until I get the advertised speed. I am also planning to call back to get $25/month for all the months I've had slow service. You guys should definitely call in if you're having speed issues. I doubt their tech people can solve it for you but getting a bill credit does make me feel a lot better. I have had a senior tech out to my house twice and I am on my second Coda modem. They ran a new line out to the street and I'm still getting terrible speeds during peak hours.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Feb 4, 2017
71 posts
75 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
May 6th, 2017 3:30 pm
I just called in and they're crediting me $25/month on an ongoing basis until I get the advertised speed. I am also planning to call back to get $25/month for all the months I've had slow service. You guys should definitely call in if you're having speed issues. I doubt their tech people can solve it for you but getting a bill credit does make me feel a lot better. I have had a senior tech out to my house twice and I am on my second Coda modem. They ran a new line out to the street and I'm still getting terrible speeds during peak hours.
My upload speeds are mostly in the 20s these days whereas before I was always near 50. How many times did you call in before you got compensation?
Dec 6, 2008
63 posts
23 upvotes
Ontario
Didnt have the patience to read 130 pages but when i do my installs i ensure the tx is above 40 to stay above the noise floor and the wireless channels are hard coded. The 3552 is better suited to lower packages like the 150 the coda for the gigabit. It is as frustrating for us as it is to you folks trust me.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4516 posts
1301 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
May 6th, 2017 3:30 pm
Wow. That's impressive customer service. Remind me what speeds u are getting?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9352 posts
3117 upvotes
CheapMang wrote:
May 6th, 2017 5:13 pm
My upload speeds are mostly in the 20s these days whereas before I was always near 50. How many times did you call in before you got compensation?
9394 wrote:
May 6th, 2017 6:44 pm
Wow. That's impressive customer service. Remind me what speeds u are getting?
This was my first time calling in. Mind you, I have had two senior technicians out to my house and they have run a brand new line out to the street from my house, plus they replaced my modem. I was ok on the "old" modem but I was capped at around 500mbps. With the Coda modem I sometimes get near the full download speed during non peak hours, but during peak hours I'm consistently getting only 100-300mbps down, and the fastest upload speed I have *ever* had was 22mbps. Typically my upload speed is anywhere from 6-10mbps.

I'm pleased that Rogers is being fair about this with me. I have tried to be patient about this. Hopefully they will take care of those of you having similar issues as well.

I once had someone tell me that in business you should never promise something you cannot deliver. Unfortunately in this case Rogers has done this, probably to thousands of us.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4516 posts
1301 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
May 6th, 2017 10:02 pm
This was my first time calling in. Mind you, I have had two senior technicians out to my house and they have run a brand new line out to the street from my house, plus they replaced my modem. I was ok on the "old" modem but I was capped at around 500mbps. With the Coda modem I sometimes get near the full download speed during non peak hours, but during peak hours I'm consistently getting only 100-300mbps down, and the fastest upload speed I have *ever* had was 22mbps. Typically my upload speed is anywhere from 6-10mbps.

I'm pleased that Rogers is being fair about this with me. I have tried to be patient about this. Hopefully they will take care of those of you having similar issues as well.

I once had someone tell me that in business you should never promise something you cannot deliver. Unfortunately in this case Rogers has done this, probably to thousands of us.
Wow. That's some pretty crappy speeds...you definitely deserve compensation. Hopefully they fix your issues and forget to remove your discount. =)
Aug 14, 2014
84 posts
29 upvotes
Hey guys having some strange issues. I changed to the new modem with 1 black dot, after issues with the old black one. However, now when im trying to watch twitch streams (using html5) the stream will just "stop" on a frame and not keep playing(shows last image, wont black screen), but chat keeps going. I have 0 issues gaming, no ping spikes etc. I also tested it on my laptop on wifi next to the modem, and the exact same issue occurs. Wondering if I should just swap the modem out again and I believe 1/2 dots should be the same now right? Or is this some strange setting issue that I can fix on my end to fix this? I called rogers and the rep said everything looked fine and to swap the modem and then call back if issue exists, but just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4789 posts
929 upvotes
Brampton
Esg876 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 8:58 am
Hey guys having some strange issues. I changed to the new modem with 1 black dot, after issues with the old black one. However, now when im trying to watch twitch streams (using html5) the stream will just "stop" on a frame and not keep playing(shows last image, wont black screen), but chat keeps going. I have 0 issues gaming, no ping spikes etc. I also tested it on my laptop on wifi next to the modem, and the exact same issue occurs. Wondering if I should just swap the modem out again and I believe 1/2 dots should be the same now right? Or is this some strange setting issue that I can fix on my end to fix this? I called rogers and the rep said everything looked fine and to swap the modem and then call back if issue exists, but just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.
Can you try on Different Browsers ? Firefox ? IE Edge ?
Aug 14, 2014
84 posts
29 upvotes
Mayoo wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:16 pm
Can you try on Different Browsers ? Firefox ? IE Edge ?
yes did chrome and FF, both dont work for some reason
Sep 11, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Is there any qualitative difference between gigabit and 250 mbps? I'm about to swap to the 250/20 plan at Teksavvy for 90/month but I've started eyeing the gigabit plan @ Rogers since I found out it was available in my building