Computers & Electronics

Rogers Gigabit Internet Technical Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 7:36 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 12, 2017
2 posts
If the gigabit is available I would take it I accepted it when It was available in my area from a great sales representative that stopped by my house and the new Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (Hitron CODA-4582) has been a beast and has not let me down yet.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12727 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
night blade wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 7:36 am
I've had 250/20 for the last few months, no problems at all, would I of liked the Gigabit plan? sure, not available to me though and 250/20 is damn fast enough as is.
The 250 is pretty good. It is the 20 that is intolerable. Even the theoretical 50 in the gigabit plan is rather slow.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12727 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
I am getting spam again from Rogers about upgrading my modem to the new model. Has all the problems with the docsis 3.1 modem been resolved? Should I continue to resist until they cut my service?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1807 posts
82 upvotes
Scarborough
will888 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 5:09 pm
I am getting spam again from Rogers about upgrading my modem to the new model. Has all the problems with the docsis 3.1 modem been resolved? Should I continue to resist until they cut my service?
I was in the same boat as you and was using the CGN 3552 (never got spammed from Rogers to upgrade) until last week I pulled the trigger and got the CODA. Couple of weeks ago I had strong noise issues in my area that was resolved within a week (TIER 2 tech called me twice and to follow up). I also learned from them that in the past my area was not DOCSIS 3.1 ready and the TIER 2 tech confirmed that my area was. Rogers credited me a month of service for the noise issue I had. I was hesitant at first as I had 8 CODA's in the past that were no good and had to be reset every 4 hours, download speed would drop to .50 mbps.

Things have been solid so far and strong; no complaints at all with the CODA.

I would hop on to Rogers chat and ask them if your area is DOCSIS 3.1 ready.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12727 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
ninety5teg wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 1:25 am
I was in the same boat as you and was using the CGN 3552 (never got spammed from Rogers to upgrade) until last week I pulled the trigger and got the CODA. Couple of weeks ago I had strong noise issues in my area that was resolved within a week (TIER 2 tech called me twice and to follow up). I also learned from them that in the past my area was not DOCSIS 3.1 ready and the TIER 2 tech confirmed that my area was. Rogers credited me a month of service for the noise issue I had. I was hesitant at first as I had 8 CODA's in the past that were no good and had to be reset every 4 hours, download speed would drop to .50 mbps.

Things have been solid so far and strong; no complaints at all with the CODA.

I would hop on to Rogers chat and ask them if your area is DOCSIS 3.1 ready.
Thanks for the information. It is rather stupid of them to ask customers to get docsis 3.1 hardware when their area is not ready yet. I assumed that they would only push customers to upgrade to compatible hardware. With all the talk about beta firmware, I had assumed the problems were attributed to bad firmware. So, it is more than that. Well to be on the safe side, I am going to sit back and wait another few months and let them spam me a few more times first. I don't get the peak speeds that others have reported here but it is close enough. I hate to fix what really doesn't appear to be broken on my end.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1807 posts
82 upvotes
Scarborough
will888 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 9:45 am
Thanks for the information. It is rather stupid of them to ask customers to get docsis 3.1 hardware when their area is not ready yet. I assumed that they would only push customers to upgrade to compatible hardware. With all the talk about beta firmware, I had assumed the problems were attributed to bad firmware. So, it is more than that. Well to be on the safe side, I am going to sit back and wait another few months and let them spam me a few more times first. I don't get the peak speeds that others have reported here but it is close enough. I hate to fix what really doesn't appear to be broken on my end.
I am not on any beta firmware. The modem is now on .27 firmware. Actually just noticed it upgraded to .29.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12727 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
ninety5teg wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 12:18 pm
I am not on any beta firmware. The modem is now on .27 firmware. Actually just noticed it upgraded to .29.
It is nice to know that firmware does not seem to be a problem anymore. I will wait it out to maybe update later in the year. It is not like they are going to cut me off it I delay the update. I am satisfied with the current performance. Another 100-200 mbits on the download is not so important. I can reach 40+ mbit on the upload.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1807 posts
82 upvotes
Scarborough
will888 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 6:29 pm
It is nice to know that firmware does not seem to be a problem anymore. I will wait it out to maybe update later in the year. It is not like they are going to cut me off it I delay the update. I am satisfied with the current performance. Another 100-200 mbits on the download is not so important. I can reach 40+ mbit on the upload.
Sounds fair