• Nov 20th, 2017 11:18 am
Tags:
None
Oct 14, 2010
99 posts
30 upvotes
casperkid wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:42 pm
Are people requiring a separate router, or is the gigabit wi-fi router sufficient for good speeds/wifi-coverage?
I've set up my ac68u as an access point as it has slightly better range than the CODA
Feb 4, 2017
174 posts
125 upvotes
I use the CODA , seems to be fine. Wifi speed test does over 500mbps, it would probably go faster if the file size was larger for me to test.
Feb 4, 2017
174 posts
125 upvotes
shaolin_x wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:08 pm
Two additional factors may be effecting your speeds. 1) are you running a Antivirus? AV such as Kaspersky are notorious for slowing down your internet speeds. With my AV on I was getting about 300-400Mbs. With it turned off I was running 600-750Mbs. 2) Another issue could be your computer's hardware is creating a bottleneck. If it is over a couple years old or simply running tons of unnecessary programs in the background, this may be over taxing your system resources and effecting your speeds
The hardware from a couple years ago is more than capable. My computer is 5yrs old (i5 3570 CPU) running 16gb ram and SSD. I can fully take advantage of gigabit internet.

AV can definitely be an issue. I had to turn off my KAspersky 2016 to do proper speed test. With Kaspersky 2017, issue seems to be solved.
Jan 10, 2017
316 posts
98 upvotes
GTA
Just got reminded how much I hate ISP/Hardware provided DNS. My pc was just doing some idling mining when I'm not using it, DNS for the whole network would cut out, didn't know what it was till it hit me after modem reboots everyday for almost a week. Went to DNS settings and changed it from hitron to OpenDNS and expect to have 100% uptime from now own (modem wise).

Later when I have time, my old pc will become my router with pfsense.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Jun 14, 2010
273 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Super disappointed with Rogers. Regretting signing up for a 2 year contract. I am about 6 months in, and everything has been perfect. Getting 940/40 speeds.

Then all of a sudden a few weeks ago my downstream signal levels dropped about 15-20 dbmv and my speeds dropped to about 200/40.

A Rogers tech came out and his explanation was that they lower the signal strength in the summer and raise it in the winter (sounds like a load of crock to me). His solution was to add a signal booster and now my signal stats are horrible (they range from -11dbmv to +16dbmv). He said there is nothing else to be done and left. Now my speeds max out at about 700/40.

Rogers fail.
Jul 1, 2009
669 posts
109 upvotes
EnchantedPlague wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 4:26 pm
Super disappointed with Rogers. Regretting signing up for a 2 year contract. I am about 6 months in, and everything has been perfect. Getting 940/40 speeds.

Then all of a sudden a few weeks ago my downstream signal levels dropped about 15-20 dbmv and my speeds dropped to about 200/40.

A Rogers tech came out and his explanation was that they lower the signal strength in the summer and raise it in the winter (sounds like a load of crock to me). His solution was to add a signal booster and now my signal stats are horrible (they range from -11dbmv to +16dbmv). He said there is nothing else to be done and left. Now my speeds max out at about 700/40.

Rogers fail.
Call again and get a different tech to take a look.
Honestly the techs are hit or miss. I had a tech come out to do a modem swap and assured me that turning off wifi was the equivalent of turning the unit into bridge mode.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7687 posts
732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Is hitron coda-4582 the only modem for gigabit plan?

recently I signed up windscribe vpn, after vpn is connected for a few hours on a windows laptop, the modem became extremely slow, initially I thought it's slowness of vpn, then I did speedtest on another laptop not running vpn, d/l is only 0.13MB/s, have to reboot modem.

I'm wondering if this is a known issue? Is there any workaround?

Thanks!
Nov 13, 2016
231 posts
91 upvotes
coupon_pro wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 1:33 am
I am in North York too and the current software version on my Coda 4582 one black dot is
Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 2.0.10.27
Docsis 3.1
Speedtest.net testing the Rogers Server in Toronto at 1:45 am on Sunday June 25th is:
Ping
8 ms
Download
678.37 Mbps
Upload
50.47 Mbps

Thank you
I'm also in North York and getting about the same speeds on Gigabit.

Coda 4582
Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 2.0.10.27
Jan 23, 2010
239 posts
12 upvotes
wlee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 11:14 am
Is hitron coda-4582 the only modem for gigabit plan?

recently I signed up windscribe vpn, after vpn is connected for a few hours on a windows laptop, the modem became extremely slow, initially I thought it's slowness of vpn, then I did speedtest on another laptop not running vpn, d/l is only 0.13MB/s, have to reboot modem.

I'm wondering if this is a known issue? Is there any workaround?

Thanks!
In my area like the other post stated the issue was caused by Docsis 3.1 not being fully implemented, the gigabit plans seem to be affected while the non-gig plans aren't. I had to go through the motions and get 4 techs out, exchange the modem 3 times and even then argue with Customer service and escalate to management before they would agree to enroll me back on a CGNM-3552 modem (They claim it's not gig compatible, which is BS tech's said it is, tech department said it is AND i used to have the 3552 on gig before the CODA came out, only Customer Service insists it's not compatible). Swapped it out almost a week ago now and haven't had to reboot the modem once (used to have to reboot every 4 hours), speeds aren't as great as the CODA but I will take a stable connection at 500-600MB/s over a 700-800MB connection that only lasts a couple hours
RFD'ers to avoid:
EEE2 - Will string you along for 2 weeks, offer to EMT a deposit but then never follow through with buying anything
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1130 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mayoo wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 1:31 am
Beta version .31 is out. make sure to hard reboot the modem and router
Just picked up this modem and am on Software Version 2.0.10.28T2. I unplugged the modem and pressed the reset button as I plugged the modem back in, but my software version did not increase. How exactly do I perform a hard rest? Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
J-Wo wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:51 pm
Just picked up this modem and am on Software Version 2.0.10.28T2. I unplugged the modem and pressed the reset button as I plugged the modem back in, but my software version did not increase. How exactly do I perform a hard rest? Thanks!
You have to ask to participate in the beta firmware program on the Rogers community forums. I'm not sure I would recommend it at this point. They have most of the bugs worked out. They will release the .31 firmware to the wild soon enough. There is also talk of a new modem coming out soon.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1130 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SickBeast wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 11:25 pm
You have to ask to participate in the beta firmware program on the Rogers community forums. I'm not sure I would recommend it at this point. They have most of the bugs worked out. They will release the .31 firmware to the wild soon enough. There is also talk of a new modem coming out soon.
Thanks, I was able to join the trials program now. Are users getting .31 pushed to their modems yet? Previous poster said to hard reset which I tried, but I haven't gotten it yet -- something to do with them not pushing it "to the wild" yet?