Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10489 posts
3804 upvotes
J-Wo wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 11:01 am
Thanks, I was able to join the trials program now. Are users getting .31 pushed to their modems yet? Previous poster said to hard reset which I tried, but I haven't gotten it yet -- something to do with them not pushing it "to the wild" yet?
No, don't hard reset your modem like @Mayoo keeps saying. In many cases that will cause the modem to revert to the previous firmware. If anything maybe power cycle it once, but I don't even think that is necessary. I have had the .31 firmware pushed. Just be patient. It's going to take about a week. They're going to send you messages asking for your consent etc.
I am a Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1130 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the confirmation @SickBeast. Someone else in the Rogers Community Forum said the same as you:
the trial firmware will be pushed to your modem at some point. As this is a holiday weekend, that might not happen until Tuesday. Users are not able to update the modems firmware. The exception to this is for users running trial firmware. A Factory Reset will cause the modem to revert back to the current production firmware. If that happens, either intentionally or unintentionally, then you will have to send a message to @CommunityHelps to have the trial firmware reloaded.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10489 posts
3804 upvotes
J-Wo wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 10:00 pm
Thanks for the confirmation @SickBeast. Someone else in the Rogers Community Forum said the same as you:
Yup, and someone had the mindless audacity to downvote my post. Go figure.
I am a Koodo customer.
Jun 2, 2008
35 posts
2 upvotes
markham
Just got gigabit and did some speed testing. From what i gather from the posts in this thread, that I should be achieving 800-900 mbps through wired connections. However for wireless, it seems like people are getting a variety of speeds. Would you say that around 500 mbps is an acceptable average? I'm trying to figure out how much I should be testing/tweaking in order to achieve an acceptable speed. Looks like lots of different things I can be doing to try to improve the speed, so i can start the process and go from there. Any thoughts?
Nov 22, 2002
531 posts
48 upvotes
casperkid wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:21 pm
Just got gigabit and did some speed testing. From what i gather from the posts in this thread, that I should be achieving 800-900 mbps through wired connections. However for wireless, it seems like people are getting a variety of speeds. Would you say that around 500 mbps is an acceptable average? I'm trying to figure out how much I should be testing/tweaking in order to achieve an acceptable speed. Looks like lots of different things I can be doing to try to improve the speed, so i can start the process and go from there. Any thoughts?
I think 500 over wifi is extremely acceptable. Way too many variables that can slow down wifi. (and maybe not a popular opinion, but even 500 over wired is acceptable imo, yes its not "gigabit", but cmon, its still waaaay fast)

Hell, Im usually happy if I get 100+ on my wifi.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10015 posts
945 upvotes
Markham
I'm having the slow speed issue but it appears I only have 100Mbps capable hardware. I've searched and there seems to be a wide variety of cards that will allow me gigabit capability at varying prices.

Can anyone recommend one for my desktop? Thanks on advance
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13110 posts
2964 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 6:25 pm
I'm having the slow speed issue but it appears I only have 100Mbps capable hardware. I've searched and there seems to be a wide variety of cards that will allow me gigabit capability at varying prices.

Can anyone recommend one for my desktop? Thanks on advance
Are you referring to a PCI network gigabit network card like this?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... sehs4eg6k0
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1254 posts
244 upvotes
Any of you on Rogers gigabit tried bell gigabit? I am eager to switch but I noticed bell FTTH upload goes up to 100MBPs where as Rogers is only 30MBPs.

How does that impact everyday use especially ps4 gaming?
Jun 2, 2008
35 posts
2 upvotes
markham
Haha true. it is still blazing fast, but just wanted to see what i "should" be getting. Been averaging about 300 over wifi and wired is 700-800. I guess i can't complain, but might want to make some tweaks to get the best performance possible.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3150 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 11:01 pm
Yup. Though I appear to only have a PCIe 16x slot open.....should still work?
Of course it would. You can fit PCI-E x1/x4/x16 into x16 slots.
casperkid wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:15 am
Haha true. it is still blazing fast, but just wanted to see what i "should" be getting. Been averaging about 300 over wifi and wired is 700-800. I guess i can't complain, but might want to make some tweaks to get the best performance possible.
Eh, I get 500 or so over my expensive AC setup but is there a difference when the signal quality causes drops to 200-300? Not really. Even my wired downloads kind of get held back unless the server can fully serve the download speeds in the first place and I download to my SSDs instead of HDDs. The last 200-300 in download speed doesn't really matter all that much.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1254 posts
244 upvotes
casperkid wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:15 am
LegiT wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:39 am
Eh, I get 500 or so over my expensive AC setup but is there a difference when the signal quality causes drops to 200-300? Not really. Even my wired downloads kind of get held back unless the server can fully serve the download speeds in the first place and I download to my SSDs instead of HDDs. The last 200-300 in download speed doesn't really matter all that much.
Please answer my 30mbps upload question! :)
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10015 posts
945 upvotes
Markham
LegiT wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks....didn't know if it would affect how it ran. I'll give it a try
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3150 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:21 am
Thanks....didn't know if it would affect how it ran. I'll give it a try
Is your computer capable of handling gigabit speeds though? I'm surprised your motherboard doesn't have a gigabit port already.
itrocks4u wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 8:59 am
Any of you on Rogers gigabit tried bell gigabit? I am eager to switch but I noticed bell FTTH upload goes up to 100MBPs where as Rogers is only 30MBPs.

How does that impact everyday use especially ps4 gaming?
For gaming, zero effect. It may perhaps matter in streaming a bit but I don't see any issues. Hell, gaming was fine when uploads were only 5Mbps
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10015 posts
945 upvotes
Markham
LegiT wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:36 am
Is your computer capable of handling gigabit speeds though? I'm surprised your motherboard doesn't have a gigabit port already.
The port where I'm plugging in my LAN cable is apparently only capable of 100Mbps. I guess it isn't a sure thing that my computer can handle Gigabit even if I put a new card into the PCIe 16?

Thanks for replying