Tags:
None
296 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1939 posts
302 upvotes
Oshawa
Same here ... i guess this forces everybody to go digital or go to hell ... BUNCH OF SCAMMERS!!!
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3353 posts
396 upvotes
Valleywood
That will make my Windows Media Center and dual-tuner PC setup obsolete. > :(

Rogers is going to make it easy for me to reconsider my OTA options.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
52 upvotes
fastlayne wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 10:14 pm
That will make my Windows Media Center and dual-tuner PC setup obsolete. > :(

Rogers is going to make it easy for me to reconsider my OTA options.

Why? Does rogers encrypt them or something?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11109 posts
1411 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The move to digital should have been done a long time ago. In fact, I thought they were doing it late 2011. Either way, from what I learned, this move will free up a lot of cable channels leading to higher Internet speeds, faster uploads, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1226 posts
31 upvotes
Looks like the free analog multi-outlet ride is over.

I still think that extra outlet fee is a scam. It's like if Rogers decided to bill you an extra monthly fee for each additional computer you have connected to the internet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7344 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
Here on the west coast, shaw has phased out all the extra channels from analog with the long term goal of removing basic cable as well.

For every analog channel removed they can add 3 HD channels. It creates more room for more internet space. It makes sense and while I'm usually anti cableco's. If we want to see expansion on HD and internet capabilities. It's the way to go.
Mar 3, 2009
426 posts
22 upvotes
Does anyone know if the Motorola DCT 6200 box can be used with Rogers? Or in fact, are there any other boxes that can be used with Rogers?

The CSR said only Rogers boxes can be used, but I'm not sure I believe her.

Also, does anyone know if there is a cutoff date where even the basic analogue channels will be cutoff?
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14515 posts
18041 upvotes
ONTARIO
Am I missing something here? Doesn't this just mean Rogers is moving their basic analog channels to digital so if you are rocking an older television without a QAM tuner, you won't be able to decode them? Thus what the device Rogers is giving out is for?

Almost all tvs made after 2006 have a built in QAM tuner, so unless you are on basic cable and using an old school CRT, this shouldn't be an issue, right? You will just need to run auto-scan for CADTV channels after the switch, I think.

I think Rogers has a bunch of digital music channels already on CADTV, so isn't this just where all the regular basic channels will be moving too?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3353 posts
396 upvotes
Valleywood
Unfortunately, the CRTC has not forced Rogers to provide a basic digital package that is not encrypted.

All QAM will be encrypted and all subscribers will require a set-top box once all analog packages/tiers are culled.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2006
1402 posts
241 upvotes
I logged into my rogers account and it had this message as well. Just wondering, what is this so called digital adapter? (by the description in the letter it seems like a small set top box since it has a remote)
so
Option 1 get a free digital adapter
Option 2 pay for a set top box

I'm guessing the digital adapter won't have the upper channels.

Edit...
So I went online again to check this thing out. Looks like I could only order a max of 2 adapters. According to the picture, they look like a small set top box.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Hx8F ... dapter.png[/IMG]
Sep 13, 2011
179 posts
17 upvotes
ANJOU
most channels will be encrypted QAM, so you can't use PC tv tuner.
Analog is a total waste of bandwith, so this move was obvious.

To do so then need the CRTC approval, they must have reached the 75% target (digital cable)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1447 upvotes
Pickering
1. Channels up to 26 or 27 (depending on where you are) are still analog.

2. The Digital Adapter is like an old school converter and looks like this:
[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee78 ... C_9828.jpg[/IMG]

3. If you read the letter it says that you need to be paying for outlets that are not using a digital box that go past channel 26/27 to get a free adapter. It says you will lose SOME of your channels meaning 26/27 and up.

4. If you have splitters galore and are paying for one outlet that goes past channel 26/27 on analog, you get one adapter. If you were paying for 4 outlets that don't go past channel 26/27, you don't get any adapter(s).

5. In regards to charging extra for outlets, there must be some way that they have to pay for how many people can view a channel. If you had a channel feed you sold to a cable company, wouldn't you demand to be paid more if they sold the viewing capability to 1 000 000 customers instead of 10 customers?

6. Certain parts of the network supports specific equipment and any of the equipment on the network comes from the provider only, in Rogers case. If you buy your own equipment and try to put it on the network, they will say no unless it came from someone they provide the equipment to...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2069 posts
132 upvotes
North York
fastlayne wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 12:19 pm
Unfortunately, the CRTC has not forced Rogers to provide a basic digital package that is not encrypted.

All QAM will be encrypted and all subscribers will require a set-top box once all analog packages/tiers are culled.

Another argument for me to go OTA and get rid of these buggers. Like I really want another buggy slow to react SA STB that needs to be plugged in all the time.
FS: bmw rims, honda oil filters, NAD Headphones, Fish tanks / LF: Anova Precision Cooker WI-FI
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3118 posts
418 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
cliff wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 11:04 pm
Another argument for me to go OTA and get rid of these buggers. Like I really want another buggy slow to react SA STB that needs to be plugged in all the time.

My thoughts exactly.

Is Rogers going to discount my bill to make up for the seven hundred thousand watts of increased energy usage per year for a couple of HD boxes?

TV boxes are power guzzlers http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... ml?ref=rss

Last post in thread.: "I noticed the Rogers box consumes the same amount whether it is on or off (40watts or so). So I stopped turning it off... since I already had to replace one remote for a new one because the power button stopped working." So 40 watts 24/7 = 350,400 watts consumed in one year.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/secondar ... s-1056309/

Just two of those Rogers boxes would consume more energy than our non-energy star fridge. Absolutely ridiculous beyond belief. They must have vacuum tubes in them. No wonder why those things fail so regularly, they must cook themselves to death.