• Dec 16th, 2010 8:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
237 posts
15 upvotes

Rogers HD PVR Issues

Anyone have problems with their HD PVR since the software update last week? I haven't been able to use any of my 'pvr' functions since then.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
Mine barely worked the morning of the system update, but was better after a reboot (on the PVR's Self Service/Need Help? menu). It still has a stutter every 10 seconds or so where the sound cuts out - - Rogers says they're working on it. :rolleyes:
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
time space wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2010 5:08 am
Mine barely worked the morning of the system update, but was better after a reboot (on the PVR's Self Service/Need Help? menu). It still has a stutter every 10 seconds or so where the sound cuts out - - Rogers says they're working on it. :rolleyes:

Major problems. My external drive no longer works, shows not being recorded randomly, fragmented shows. Apparently a LOT of people are having issues, they really screwed it up.

Make sure you call in and demand to 'submit a ticket'. The more people that complain the faster this will get solved.
Dec 6, 2002
112 posts
3 upvotes
I had all the symptoms discussed previously. I have two Rogers 8300HD with the same issues.
After the upgrade I was unable to record scheduled shows.
Called Rogers and complained several times and finally was able to resolve.
Here is what I did -

1. Unplug the external HD from the PVR.
2. Power off the external HD.
3. Take out the power to the Rogers PVR and wait 5 to 10 seconds to reboot.
4. Plug everything back in as usual.
5. Test the recording of a show about 1/2 hour out to see if it works.

I believe the firmware upgrade started powering down the external HD so it was not initiating the recording.

For my external HD I am using a Vantech SATA external drive with a WD Black.

I also had problems with the HDMI connection to a Yamaha PVR. There were handshaking issues with the audio. The above steps also resovled it.

Read about it here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthr ... 09&page=11
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
237 posts
15 upvotes
Yeah, I've called them several times now - their technical support is jammed up beyond belief. I tried rebooting several times, but still having problems. Let me go try one more time...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9402 posts
357 upvotes
Mississauga
No problems here with my 8300. Lucky me, I guess. I like the new font -- it's more modern looking.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8257 posts
2379 upvotes
Ottawa
Guys, I recently found out if you have a rental box you can upgrade to the newer Cisco 8642 HD-PVR for free.

These might be hard to come by, but I called different Rogers stores for a couple days and finally one store had it and put it aside for me to pick up.

This thing is much better than the 8300 and has some nifty features (shows what channels are not on your sub, Instant 15min FF in recorded shows among others)

Worth a call to a few Rogers stores.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
I've had a lot of issues with the new upgrade, from screen size (which has been somewhat fixed), and audio blips which I am still experiencing. Half of my PVR recorded shows were cancelled so I had to reset them. Not overly impressed. Another issue is if you are recording 2 shows at once, you not only can't watch another show but now you can't even get the menu to load
to see what other shows are on. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2851 posts
427 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2010 9:05 am
Guys, I recently found out if you have a rental box you can upgrade to the newer Cisco 8642 HD-PVR for free. These might be hard to come by, but I called different Rogers stores for a couple days and finally one store had it and put it aside for me to pick up. This thing is much better than the 8300 and has some nifty features (shows what channels are not on your sub, Instant 15min FF in recorded shows among others) Worth a call to a few Rogers stores.
The 8642 may have a faster processor than the 8300 but the 'nifty features' that the 8642 has are now enjoyed by 8300 users, thanks to this recent update. Bookmarks that actually work, 'padding' a show's length now actually works, there's a new font, added time offset on the playback bar, etc.
taylyn wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2010 9:20 am
audio blips
audio blips = HDMI cable issue, most likely. Really.

In any event, after the firmware update, it's definitely recommended to perform a reboot if not once, twice. Warm reboot (ie: no unplugging it) if not also doing a hard reboot (unplugging it following specific instructions) will apparently correct many of the update-related issues that may have arisen. See instructions for rebooting the box here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
237 posts
15 upvotes
^ Yeah, none of my shows are recording and playback is not working. I can't even pause. I hope rogers fixes this - I'm not a fan of rocking the boat. Everything was A-OK before this update.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
This is a weird issue that I have and others seem to have it as well (in the GTA at least).

If I record a show on Fox...it splits the recording into like 5-10 parts. It usually stops recording at commercials and then there will be a 2-3 minute recording of commercials and then a 10-20 minute recording of the next segment. Running Wilde and The Good Guys are the only Fox shows I record (Simpsons+Family Guy can be recorded fine on Global) so it's not a huge issue but a bit weird.
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5809 posts
515 upvotes
Greely
Nettles wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2010 2:38 pm
This is a weird issue that I have and others seem to have it as well (in the GTA at least).

If I record a show on Fox...it splits the recording into like 5-10 parts. It usually stops recording at commercials and then there will be a 2-3 minute recording of commercials and then a 10-20 minute recording of the next segment. Running Wilde and The Good Guys are the only Fox shows I record (Simpsons+Family Guy can be recorded fine on Global) so it's not a huge issue but a bit weird.

I have the same problem, on Fox only, and only at certain times.

I had this issue ~ 4-5 years ago, and called in many times to complain. Eventually it was corrected, though I'm not sure how.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
237 posts
15 upvotes
Nettles wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2010 2:38 pm

Yeah, I've been having that problem too for a while. The Good Guys is one of very few TV shows my better half watches and he complains every single time because it's all in bits and pieces. Heh.
Banned
Mar 22, 2009
288 posts
9 upvotes
T.DOT
I'm not seeing any of the listed problems in my PVR 8300, the only thing really annoying is the HARD DRIVE powering up every 10 mins or so. I even un-plugged the PVR and rebooted but it feels like either the FAN or the HD is rebooting every 10 mins.

I need to exchange mine soon I suppose.

edit: I also have an SD Box and it feels like after the update, the channels freeze while switching? Has anyone seen this on their SD Box?
Dec 8, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
I have had several issues with the upgrade as well. Different picture sizes, lobby watch channel does not work. When I called them they told me that all of the issues will be fixed in the near future!?? Why not wait until everything is working before forcing us into an upgrade!!
× < >